Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Dropped Packets - MSN Disconnects

Options
  • 01-02-2009 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Hi,

I noticed my MSN messenger reconnecting randomly, or giving me "Message could not be delivered" a while back.
    I figured it was just a problem with the MSN server. Anyway its happening a lot now.
    I set a ping running, and I noticed that when the problems happened with MSN, I would have a few packets dropped just before it.

Any had or have this problem?
    I've seen people complaining about online gaming disconnecting. I assume its something similar.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Constantly. About every ten minutes it does it.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭after_shock3000

Ya, its about 10-20 mins for me at the moment too.
    When did it start happening for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

This has only started to me with MSN and gaming since just before Christmas. It gets quite annoying. However, a good bit before then it happened often enough with websites timing out.

Its hilarious how they apologise for bad service (was practically usable) late 2007 early 2008 when really their service is consistently ropey. Having said that its cheap and you do get good speeds. I guess you get what you pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

Also happens to me, its still worth it for 20mb lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Anybody find a fix for this its getting so bad almost every 4/5th msg fails in msn.

It is up to upc to fix I doubt they ever will.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭dunworth1

i dont have this problem

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Just wondering if ye are using windows or mac?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Just wondering if ye are using windows or mac?

window vista premium sp1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Happens to me a lot on Eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

I noticed this myself actually, I recently switched from DSL to UPC 20Meg. I noticed that MSN would drop out at random times, and reconnect automatically, and pop up telling me that a newer version was available. Im still using MSN 2008 because I hate the new MSN client. AIM never drops out, nor does Skype. At the time I was also connected to two different IRC servers, and one of them would d/cd about 3 times, while the other one was just fine.

Now it could be pure coincidence that MSN is giving me problems since I switched, but everything else works perfectly fine. I cant find any evidence yet to prove the issue is specific to UPC's cable service.

I only started using these two IRC services since I switched to UPC.
    AIM normally also drops out if I lose connectivity... and it hasnt dropped once since I swithced.
    Im cynical enough to figure that Microsoft is deliberatly dropping my connection to MSN because Im not using their latest client... when I used MSN on my Macbook (with Microsoft's official client) it used to disconnect regularly when I was using DSL... and it would not let me reconnect... that drove me to using an unofficial client which solved the issue.
    I've not had any issues with online gaming that I can directly attribute to UPC's cable service...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

If people on eircom are having disconnects too, it must not be anything to do with UPC. Has anyone rang them? I'm sure you'd probably get nowhere but it would be interesting to see what they say.

Also it doesn't have anything to do with using an old version of messenger, I'm on the most up to date one and its no better.

Advertisement