Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Goodbye Shay

• 01-02-2009 8:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭

I knew it was coming, but it's like the beloved family pet being put down.

295wfu9.gif

SSN breaking news that Shay has signed on a 4 1/2 half year deal with Citeh.

This is possibly the lowest I have felt with regards to supporting Newcastle United.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Sorry for your troubles charlie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Great servant to Newcastle.

I feel your heartbreak Charlie.How is Harper compared to him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Tis only a game man.
    I wouldnt be too fussed about these guy moving clubs....let them off, tis all about the cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

kippy wrote: »
    Tis only a game man.

:eek:

only women say that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

It's terrible news for Newcastle and I'm not so sure it's a great move for Shay either. He's a top class keeper and deserves to be at a top class club playing in Europe but was so loyal to Newcastle that he missed out on that chance. Think he may have left it too late for himself.

But terrible, terrible news for Newcastle fans. You have my condolences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

He's been a real hero. I hope things go well for him at Man City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

I feel your heartbreak Charlie.How is Harper compared to him?
    Tis only a game man.
    I wouldnt be too fussed about these guy moving clubs....let them off, tis all about the cash.

Harper's excellent, at times I have advocated for him keeping his place when het got into the side.

But that's not the point. It's like your family going broke, and the silverware that has been passed down through generations has to be sold. It's what it symbolises. Shay has put up with some horrible sh/t at this club. If he has now had enough, I really do fear for what the rest of quality players must be thinking.

Thanks a fcukin bunch Mike Ashley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

Tis only a game man.
    Kaka :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Hmm on one side of the coin I've always thought Shay should really have more medals when he retires but now I don't want to hear a certain city fan (family member) gloating about winning trophies with every breath. Darn.

• Advertisement

It's a bit of a worry that they're not disclosing the fee don't you think?

Kaka :rolleyes:

I dont get why people get so depressed about these guys moving clubs......it is all about the cash - I have NO doubt in my mind that Kaka has been offered a drastic improvement on this current deal to stay at Milan.

Mike Ashley cant be blamed for a decade of over expectation from Newcastle fans, can he?

Des wrote: »
    :eek:

only women say that.

It is only a game....

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Hmm on one side of the coin I've always thought Shay should really have more medals when he retires but now I don't want to hear a certain city fan (family member) gloating about winning trophies with every breath. Darn.

You're related to Xavi?:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

I think Arsenal would have been a better club for him to go to than Man City.

It's a bit of a worry that they're not disclosing the fee don't you think?

All our business seems to be done like that lately, the whole nature of the , cloak and fcukin dagger. But word is that it's £7 million, which is a disgrace. If Bellamy wen for £14 million, that should have been our minimum asking price.
    Mike Ashley cant be blamed for a decade of over expectation from Newcastle fans, can he?

Seriously mate, not tonight, I will get banned if get into it with someone over how that man has raped our club.

Charlie wrote: »
    All our business seems to be done like that lately, the whole nature of the , cloak and fcukin dagger. But word is that it's £7 million, which is a disgrace. If Bellamy wen for £14 million, that should have been our minimum asking price.

Yeah that's what I was thinking that Ashley might be trying to lessen a backlash. I don't think City would be too bothered about disclosing a fee.

Yeah that's what I was thinking that Ashley might be trying to lessen a backlash. I don't think City would be too bothered about disclosing a fee.

Everything going on with the club reeks of an asset strip. The whole way the Given deal was handled seemed like he was happy to flog him and get a few mil now for him. Had he shown the same reliance as some other clubs have to City, and called their bluff, we could have got upwards of £15 million, or had one of the best keepers in the league remain with us.

Owen will be on his bike in the summer, and I really wouldn't be surprised to see Barton and Martins flogged in another car boot style sale. In the space of about 12 months, we will have lost Given, Zog, Milner, Barton, Owen, and Martins, and Mike Ashley talked about 2009 as being the year he takes the club forward. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Bryan Habana

It's disappointing news for Newcastle fans. Shay was easily one of Newcastle's best and most consistent players for the past decade. Add to that his unshakable loyalty to the club through all the let-downs. Still, I'm sure know one could begrudge him a shot at silverware at this stage of his career. Hope it goes well for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Still don't understand why he couldn't stick it out another 4 months, after 11 years like.

Sorry Shay, you're Newcaslte and Ireland's greatest ever keeper, and one of my favourite players, but I will love it if you lot go down, luv it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Have heard a few mentions of a city player having a medical over here hence the undisclosed fee.

Sad sad day for all Newcastle fans. Its like loosing shearer tbh.

SSN are reporting the fee is £6 million, 6 fcuking million! :mad: What a bnunch of mongs we have running us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

6mil:pac:

That's embarrassing.

BUnch of shams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I do think that Given has wasted his career to be honest, and while I'm happy to see he's finally taking his shot, I think its a wee bit late unfortunately :/

SantryRed wrote: »
    6mil:pac:

That's embarrassing.

BUnch of shams.

Exactly.

A club that spent £14 million on quasimodo, £12 million on a Chelsea bench warmer, and were talking about splashing in the region of £40 million for Buffon.

Honest to god, it's there on a plate to get at least £15 million, but no, we end up with fcukin £6 million and probably first refusal of Darius Vassell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I'd be alarmed that Given finally wants to get out of there.

Obviously they're falling apart up there and Shay sees it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Its a sad day, He was a great servant for us and to only get £6m is a joke, straight into pies Ashleys back pocket no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

It's disappointing news for Newcastle fans. Shay was easily one of Newcastle's best and most consistent players for the past decade. Add to that his unshakable loyalty to the club through all the let-downs. Still, I'm sure know one could begrudge him a shot at silverware at this stage of his career. Hope it goes well for him.

With Citeh??? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

6m is a joke.

Worth 16m, leaving the barcodes was a bit of a no brainer tho, its not like he would actually win anything anytime soon to be honest, as for citeh,, well who knows with them...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,960 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

An absolute quality keeper who spent too long at the wrong club if he wanted to win medals, and is now moving in the wrong direction.

Shocking stuff.

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Given is the Matt Le Tiss of this decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

PHB wrote: »
    I do think that Given has wasted his career to be honest, and while I'm happy to see he's finally taking his shot, I think its a wee bit late unfortunately :/

Considering his age he is moving from one team in the bottom half of the league to another, a strange decision imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

If he had moved to United when he had the chance the we would all hate him, well most of us anyway :)

Is a shame that he has stayed away from a big club for his career, with a defecen in front of him can you imagine how much better he would be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,960 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

If he had moved to United when he had the chance the we would all hate him, well most of us anyway :)

Is a shame that he has stayed away from a big club for his career, with a defecen in front of him can you imagine how much better he would be.

It's the defence he's being playing in front of that has made him look so good!!!!

Given's best game that he'll be forever remembered for? The 1-0 win in Cyprus. Ireland's next game over there? :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Given is the Matt Le Tiss of this decade.

Personally thought Le Tissier was the Matt Le Tissier of the decade....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

RedorDead wrote: »
    With Citeh??? :D

They are still in the Uefa cup and its not like he is only joining till the seasons end, you dont think City will be challenging for trophies in the next few years? I dont think anyone is disputing that there chances in that respect are a lot better than Newcastles atm. Maybe he could have played for a better side but Man City is the best option available atm that will make him rich and give him a chance at winning things before retirement, and he has to move now while age (for a GK) is on his side. In all honesty he should have left a good while back but he seems to be a real pro and someone who loved Newcastle and thus nobody is begrudging him this move now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

you dont think City will be challenging for trophies in the next few years?
    I don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Hello Shay!

/waves

img_502_12912_478.jpg&obj=iip,1.0&wid=150&hei=150&rgn=0,0,0,0&cvt=jpeg

They are still in the Uefa cup and its not like he is only joining till the seasons end, you dont think City will be challenging for trophies in the next few years? I dont think anyone is disputing that there chances in that respect are a lot better than Newcastles atm. Maybe he could have played for a better side but Man City is the best option available atm that will make him rich and give him a chance at winning things before retirement, and he has to move now while age (for a GK) is on his side. In all honesty he should have left a good while back but he seems to be a real pro and someone who loved Newcastle and thus nobody is begrudging him this move now.

Don't think he will win anything in his time with city, what is he now nearly 33? also have a feeling Hughes will be gone soon and who is to say what will happen when a new manager comes in. He would just as been as well staying at Newcastle, though as you say one final big pay day which I wouldn't bebrudge him.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Bryan Habana

At the moment Man city are still a step up on Newcastle. While he may not win anything immediately I still feel his chances are significantly improved. Man city have a good squad and are well capable of improving further, both this season and next. My biggest worry for Given is that city's 'transition' could take a few years to really click and that time isn't on Given's side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Shay isn't just gone for better football folks. Do I hear money in the background :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

Shay isn't just gone for better football folks. Do I hear money in the background :pac:

better football, better club (stable), better money, better city

etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭YDMHSSB

disappointed in him. hope he just didnt do this for money. city in all fairness are not guaranteed to give him the honours that he does not have. berbatov turned them down for a reason, and i honestly cant see many players going there that will be good enough to make a difference.

surely arsenal wanted him or villa for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

DrMorphine wrote: »
    better football, better club (stable), better money, better city

etc
    What is well known is that Given loves the city of Newcastle, and I doubt it's the bright blue lights of Madchester that attracted him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I reckon that he just couldn't stand what the club had become and decided that he had to go. I think it's a little unfair to criticise him for leaving for the money after the loyalty he showed to Newcastle over so many years and contract extensions when he could probably have had a big money move if he pushed for it. I'm sure he's getting a very healthy pay increase but I don't think that's why he left the club. I'm pretty sure that most Newcastle fans realise this.

Also, with the exception of a loan at Swindon, Given has spent his entire professional career in England in the north. Manchester is only 140 miles down the A1.

The fee is a tiny bit low but I'm not sure how much more Newcastle could expect to get for someone who's nearly 33, who wanted to leave and who could probably threaten to buy out the end of his contract for less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

PHB wrote: »

VDS? Schmiechel? were still playing very well and winning things in their late 30s. he's still only 32 afterall which usually a keepers prime (although i guess given's injury proneess could yet shortern his career span).
    kinaldo wrote: »
    What is well known is that Given loves the city of Newcastle, and I doubt it's the bright blue lights of Madchester that attracted him.

I'd say it's his love of newcastle that attracted him, a weekly commute from newcastle to manchester seems pretty feasible so as not to uproot the family, whereas living in London would have made things a lot more difficult.

Overall i think City are much more likely to win things with Given in the sticks than the best other available alternatives. and while they are seriously underperforming at the minute, it won't take much for them to start challenging for Europe imo. A couple of good defensive buys, along with that lead the line striker they've been lacking, and things could be very different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

We know have 3 of our better players all playing for City ! Any comments Xavi ?

redout wrote: »
    We know have 3 of our better players all playing for City ! Any comments Xavi ?

Emmmmm not really, other than it's a great signing.

I don't know if Dunne will be around next season tbh, and Stevie still has no interest in playing for Ireland so it's not really the Three Amigos by any means.

Glad to have him aboard though and at 32 he's the perfect age for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

City are going to have a class side come the start of next season. Shay is a brilliant signing. The best one city have made imo. I think its great that 3 good Irish players are a part of this new football revolution that is happening at City. All we need now is Robbie Keane to sign and we will have an Irishman in every part of the City side ! Better still would be Kevin Doyle although I doubt sparky will be interested.

City are going to have a class side come the start of next season. Shay is a brilliant signing. The best one city have made imo. I think its great that 3 good Irish players are a part of this new football revolution that is happening at City. All we need now is Robbie Keane to sign and we will have an Irishman in every part of the City side ! Better still would be Kevin Doyle although I doubt sparky will be interested.

With the amount of money city have I don't think they will be going for the likes of Doyle or even Keane, don't think Dunne will be part of that revolution either, has been very poor this season, I still think Hughes will be gone soon.

If that happens before the window closes then I will be seriously considering a one-man protest outside the COMS next week.

If it happens in the summer then Mr. Billionaire Owner plus Hughes will be getting avery strongly worded letter in the post.

That CANNOT happen.

• Advertisement
Advertisement