Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

difference between conponent cable and hdmi cable

• 01-02-2009 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

is there any:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

In terms of visual quality, next to nothing. I've played my PS3 through component and HDMI and there is no discernable difference. I currently play my 360 through VGA, previous to which I played through component. Again, no difference.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Yeah as Vyse said, its not noticable. Perhaps on a Full HD telly, with a full HD game there may be a slight difference to some graphic intensive games but I havent come across it personally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gino85

i got a componant cable with my xbox and i was gonna upgrade to a hdmi for my tv but i wont need to now so tnx Vyse and faceman

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Component goes to 720p, HDMI goes to 1080p, so whatever your telly supports, pick that :)

Changed over a few weeks ago when i bought a new TV. Definitely noticed a changed. Seemed much clearer or something. Maybe its just me though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,935 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Kharn wrote: »
    Component goes to 720p, HDMI goes to 1080p, so whatever your telly supports, pick that :)
    Did not know that. Serious?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

That's what I've been told. My telly is 720, so I just used the Composite, have a HDMI though, will plug it in when I get home and see if I notice a difference. At 27" though, it may not be noticable. I've always found you need 40"+ to get the most out of the real super hi-def stuff.

I played my PS3 at 1080p using component. Some TVs support it (like a lot of the Samsungs), others don't. There may be an issues regarding Blu-Ray discs but I'm not 100% sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭FibbersON

I bought a Samsung a few months ago, then bought the HDMI cable and I could see a noticable difference. Would defo recommend HDMI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

dont have a hdmi port (older xbox) but there is a huge difference for me between component and vga.

vga is much sharper and crisper on my 26'' samsung. the colors / blacks are more vivid on component for me though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

I've never seen a huge difference between HDMI and Component, thing is the 360 upscales DVDs over HDMI, but not over component. That's important for some people!

As for the difference between VGA and Component, the easy answer is that it depends on your TV. Mine for example doesn't have a great upscaler built in. The VGA sends the signal 1:1, so the TV doesn't have to do anything, the Component however sends the signal 1280x720, when the tv is 1366x768, leaving the tv to upscale... So, the VGA is sharper and has DVD upscaling, but... The component has better black levels and colour in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

It basically depends on your TV's input quality. Some TV's have crap component inputs and you'll notice an improvement switching from component to HDMI in this case.

I know I did. Some people claiming there is a difference will only do so because the colour settings are set to richer by default on one input over another on their TV's. I'm not one of those people :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Anyone know what kinda resolutions that the 360 can output via the VGA cable?

My telly is capable of 1080p, but as I'm currently just using the component cables, I can only use 720p.

HDMI isn't an option because I've got an original 360 with no HDMI port :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

My telly is capable of 1080p, but as I'm currently just using the component cables, I can only use 720p.

360 can output 1080p over VGA, but very few TVs accept 1080 over VGA! Not much help I know! Try find your TV manual, that should tell you if it'l accept it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,648 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

eh no, not at all!!!!!!!

Both component and hdmi (and VGA for that matter) can do 1080p (and resolutions above).

The only differences between the two is that HDMI carries a HDCP handshake signal, which in laymans terms means the xbox tells your telly to adapt to the resolution that the xbox is putting out (with out you having to go into the menus). It also carries a copy protection signal which is mainly used when using DVD players and stuff.
    The HDMI cable can also carry an audio signal in it whereas the component needs the red and white phono plugs along with the other three red, green, and blue for the video signal.

Here's a good link from eurogamer were they do a good visual comparison between the three HD connection types:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/hardware-test-xbox-360-elite-review?page=5

Basically, as stated, a lot of it comes down to your own display unit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Rev. Kitchen

Is the VGA output just the red, white and yellow cables (3 cables) ? or is it the HD component cables ie red blue green etc ( 5 cables ).

Ive the old xbox as well and have it hooked up to my brand new LG 1080p using just the cables ive the output set to 1080p and it works perfectly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Is the VGA output just the red, white and yellow cables (3 cables) ? or is it the HD component cables ie red blue green etc ( 5 cables ).

Ive the old xbox as well and have it hooked up to my brand new LG 1080p using just the cables ive the output set to 1080p and it works perfectly

This is the VGA cable for the xbox:
    60-1-xbox360_digital_av_vga_cabl.jpg

This is the component:
    component_hd_av_cable_xb360.jpg

When you use only red white and yellow(Scart) then that is SD only not HD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Looks like plenty of people are mixing up component and composite cables.

Avoid using just the composite (yellow) connection if you want HD.

On my TVs (1080p) VGA gives the best picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Avoid composite at all costs if you have a HDTV :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Most peole will know these but just in case some people dont..

If you are using your component cables (B,R,G) with a HDTV remember these two things.

1. There is a switch at the back of the xbox end of the cable that you need to flick over to HDTV.

cableswitch5ia.jpg

2. On the console make sure that you set the highest resolution that your tv can handle. On your dashboard go into console settings, then display. Then select the highest one possible, should be at least 720i or higher.

ilmdisplaysettings.jpg

If you are using a HDMI cable, then you dont need to do these steps as i believe HDMI will auto-detect the highest resolution possible for your tv. I personally have 2 xboxes, 1 is component (780i) and 1 is HDMI (1080p) and there is a very slight difference but not too noticeable. There is however a huge difference between composite (yellow) and HD component.

Advertisement