Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European Studies

Options
  • 01-02-2009 9:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi hi,

I think I'm putting European Studies down as number 1 on the CAO, so can anyone tell me a bit more about it than qualifax can? I know there's Sociology, Law, History and Economics but what specific topics within those subjects? Can I take German from beginner's level along with French from Leaving Cert level? Is the workload massive or managable, I hear there's loads of essays? what about the year abroad? thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Diamond007

Whatever you do stay AWAY from beginners German..

I picked it as a module as a complete beginner, but everyone else in the class had lied and had either studied it to Honours J.C or pass L.C..

The lecturers and tutors didnt try at to help me as the only beginner and made me feel as if I was stupid by asking me to write paragraphs and read stories in German by week 3 and looking at me like some sort of alien when I asked a question!

Anyway, because of this and the poor responsibility taken by the co-ordinator I changed course paying full fee's..

Stay away unless you have at least J.C level..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

FWIW I found ab initio Spanish fine. Followed the same teaching procedure as early secondary school French. I didn't keep it on for various reasons that were nothing to do with the standard of teaching or the classes, which were excellent. I doubt that this has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭snazzy

Hi. I'd like to find out a bit more about this course as well.
    Particularly the extra subjects aside from the languages.
    Do you pick straight away or do you get a taste of Politics, Law, History etc...?

Anyone?

Advertisement