Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sources of risk for banks..

• 01-02-2009 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

I think banks main concern should be their leverage rather then there asset quality..what are peoples opinions on this. Im doing an assignment at the moment on this topic so just looking for peoples opinions..

Comments

Both are important and are inter-related, it's not a case of one or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Corkbhoy8

im comparing bank of ireland and anglo irish bank..their leverage over the last few years etc..still only learning about the topic really..any insight?

Patrick Honohan has done a lot of work on this recently. http://www.tcd.ie/Economics/staff/phonohan/

I am not sure which paper it was in though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

For Ella yeah? ;)

Both matter hugely as illegalheadbutt said. Do you have a good grasp of the downsides of leverage?

ha are u a past economics grad??i dont really have a good grasp on it to be honest..seems like im reading a lot but not getting much down on paper!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Corkbhoy8 wrote: »
    ha are u a past economics grad??i dont really have a good grasp on it to be honest..seems like im reading a lot but not getting much down on paper!

Think of it this way, leveraging allows you to make bigger bets than you would if you didn't borrow.

Say I've €10K and I want to invest it in something. Say my returns are 4% from this scheme, I'll get €400 from my investment and the €10K I invested back.

Now say I use this €10K as a guarantee against a loan of €20K. Assuming the same returns, if I invest the 20K, I'll get €800 back from my investment and I can pay back the €20K I borrowed. I just doubled my income by borrowing a little. (we're getting 0% loans here to keep it simple but so long as the interest on the loan is smaller than the interest you earn from your investment you make a profit).

The above is 2 times leverage. My net worth is €10K, but I'm investing twice that amount in the market. Investment banks in the States were over 30 times leveraged by 2007.

Now leverage does two things, it magnifies wins and it magnifies losses. So long as the market is moving with you, high leverage means you can make enormous profits. If the market moves against you, high leverage means that it'll wipe out large amounts of your capital (in the simply example above, if the investment lost only half its value it would wipe out all your capital since you'd have to use the €10K you put aside and the €10K left from selling the investment to pay off your loan. In contrast, if you weren't leveraged you'd only have lost €5K and would have €5K left).

I hope that helps.

Little article about a danger of leverage here: http://www.economist.com/finance/displaystory.cfm?story_id=E1_JGGTJDJ

Thanks for yere help guys..i just need to start applying this to anglo irish bank and bank of ireland and ill be flying!:D

Advertisement