Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

setting up a charity

Options
  • 01-02-2009 10:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭

I hope this is the right forum for this question ....

Basically I am strongly thinking of setting up a charity (actually I have made my mind up) - just want to get advice regarding the best way to set it up i.e. should I set up a company or not and any advice on the pitfalls to be expected when setting up and registering a charity?

Many thanks in advance for any input!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Lplated

I'm curious at someone thinking of setting up a charity posting in the entrepreneur forum...

Only contribution i have to make is that there is Charities bill going through the dail at the minute that may change the legal structure required for them, your best bet might be to get legal advice.

There is an organisation called 'the wheel' (google is your friend) that is a resource organisation for charitites and voluntary groups, based somewhere in dublin. They might be able to help you free of charge to get you going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭TimAllen

thanks Lplated. I posted in this forum becuase setting up a charity is entepreneurial - its social enterprise, so I thought this was the best forum for it. Thanks for your input though, much appreciated. Tim

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Lplated

Do a google search for 'social entrepreneurs' networks - is at least one in ireland, they offer help, grants, awards etc... for that kind of thing. Also search for 'micro finance' some of which is aimed at charitable endeavours rather than strictly business ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 hebeegb

well im no expert in this field, but they are going to become more regulated, you naturally will have to register as a charity and seek approval, also it will be a company, and most likely a guarantee company, in which case it will have to have an audited completed on it, that can be expensive, you will also have to register with the revenue and receive an exemption from income tax, lots a work!! best of luck

Advertisement