Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Photoshoot

• 01-02-2009 10:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭

Thanks for all the help with this shoot last week.
    Anyway, things didnt go according to my plan (Id planned for a place in Finglas with a river, graffiti'd storeroom and burnt out car), but weather ermitted that we not venture out that far. Essentially, I'd about two twenty minute windows of shooting in the alley behind their recording studio to work with - NOT what I wanted myself, but you have to adapt.

Anyway, here's a very quick selection:

3245443178_f143bfa774.jpg
    White jumper ruins it, I feel.

3244595217_63f6f84a15.jpg
    A version of a shot of the Frames I'd found a while back.

3244627557_e56876bdd6.jpg

And the colour ones:
    3244579229_95fc327a7a.jpg

3245500748_0febdd3d3a.jpg

Oh and one of the lead singer:
    3244551977_7c6cd195ac.jpg

Bear in mind this was my first shoot, so go easy with the C&C.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Wow i like them,5 stands out for me!
    Nice shots though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Look okish to me, I would crop #1 a bit to get rid of the slit of distracting sky.
    I'd crop a bit of the wall of on the right hand side in #3
    sky burnt out in #5
    B+W is better but colour #4 is ok, don't like #5
    #6 I am not mad on either, he is staring too hard at the camera and his eyes are kinda going too centred!
    Maybe crop a bit of top of #3

1st 3 are the winners for me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

TBH .... They don't do a lot for me, other than being record shots (pardon the pun)

1. This works best for me. Crop the top to get rid of the white line.

2. Is OK & I can see what you are trying to do but the three in the back are too soft when you are trying to show a Band & not just one person. I may be wrong here.

3.I find the house in the background to be just distracting & they are not remarkable in any way. If thet were somehow iconic it could work.

4. As for 3 but seems worse in colour.

5. For a shot like this to work you need the eyes to be sharp. Looks like a shallow DOF. If you are working with large apertures you have to be careful where the focus point is set.

Pity you could not get to a better location.

Maybe a Studio shoot would be an idea to try?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

The feeling I'm getting from the pics are that the band are thinking to themselves - "wtf are we doing here". They don't seem relaxed at all and all seem very rigid. They're not bad but could be better.

Now off to the Superbowl

kensutz wrote: »
    The feeling I'm getting from the pics are that the band are thinking to themselves - "wtf are we doing here". They don't seem relaxed at all and all seem very rigid. They're not bad but could be better.

Now off to the Superbowl

#1 Kinda
    #2 You won't make it, even allowing for time machines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

:confused::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

#1 Kinda
    #2 You won't make it, even allowing for time machines.

Maybe he's in the cast of Lost :D

To the OP I'm finding the shots a bit flat both contrast wise and subject wise, I'd also suggest a change of location and stick 'em indoors with instruments or extremely loud music and alcohol and shot the fúck out of them

:)

The alcohol is not a bad idea Hugh! :cool:
    Everyone would be far more relaxed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Ive never done this.. but ive seen alot of it.. and one thing ive always noticed is the background makes a big difference. Also the angle. Both here are very plain. If you can get back out the other places you mentioned I think you should do it. Id actually really like to do this now.. :P

1st is the best for me.. and overall there good but can be better imo.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

the 3rd is the best for the body language of the subjects but all seem to have pretty poor composition. It's like you used the centre focus point to focus on the main face and then pressed the button without actually composing the picture.

I'd also add quite a biy more contrast and maybe play with the sky in photoshop to make the images pop a bit more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭YeahOK

mmm, not really sure. You seem to be shooting straight on at them in all shots. Try getting lower or higher than the subjects for a more interesting angle. They just seem to lack a little umph to me.

You should also check out Phil Sharp's page on Flickr. He does a lot of this kind of stuff and his stream is amazing. Be sure to check his music set for some inspiration link below;
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/hog/

Advertisement