Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A bit harsh I would say

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Nope not reported. I was just shooting from the hip like a mad man.
    I'll do it again too most likely. You could be next. We'd best have a witch hunt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Well, here's hoping the Community Manager curbs such shit moderation in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Rb wrote: »
    Well, here's hoping the Community Manager curbs such shit moderation in the future.

shame on you. That post makes you look really petty, man.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Let's hope they can cope with curbing such shit Feedback too :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Was wondering when the old Rb would show his ugly head.

• Advertisement

tbh wrote: »
    shame on you. That post makes you look really petty, man.
    It's a pretty fair post as far as I'm concerned.

If people want to be ban/infraction/warning happy, they should be punished if/when they fuck up, particularly if it's recurring. As it is, it's either just laughed about or the mods defend eachother, or nothing is done.

So as I said, lets hope the CM sorts it out in the future, and bad mods are punished or removed more efficiently than as it is now and I've changed my stance to hoping that it's someone recruited externally, and not a Boardsie.

I don't see anything wrong with the suggestion anyway, I mean, if they're doing nothing wrong then surely there won't be an issue?

If people want to be ban/infraction/warning happy, they should be punished if/when they fuck up, particularly if it's recurring. As it is, it's either just laughed about or the mods defend eachother, or nothing is done.

So as I said, lets hope the CM sorts it out in the future, and bad mods are punished or removed more efficiently than as it is now and I've changed my stance to hoping that it's someone recruited externally, and not a Boardsie.

I don't see anything wrong with the suggestion anyway, I mean, if they're doing nothing wrong then surely there won't be an issue?

The mod in question publically worked things out in an extremely amicable fashion with the poster in question. All parties and observers are happy with the outcome, except for Rb who decides to holler about punishing "bad" mods. The mind boggles. What punishment would you propose? Docking his pay? Forty e-lashes of the lolcat-o-nine tails?

cornbb wrote: »
    The mod in question publically worked things out in an extremely amicable fashion with the poster in question. All parties and observers are happy with the outcome, except for Rb who decides to holler about punishing "bad" mods. The mind boggles. What punishment would you propose? Docking his pay? Forty e-lashes of the lolcat-o-nine tails?
    My point is that it shouldn't have happened in the first place. I don't particularly care about how it was resolved.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

So as I said, lets hope the CM sorts it out in the future, and bad mods are punished or removed more efficiently than as it is now

One of the worst things I've ever seen posted on Boards.

Begin 'punishing' or removing mods because they infract someone by mistake then it's "goodbye mods" and goodbye Boards.ie

"Bad" mods should be instructed as to how to how they could look at things differently and treat matters in a different manner, not punished.

My point is that it shouldn't have happened in the first place. I don't particularly care about how it was resolved.

Doesn't the fact that it was resolved so civilly, with mutual respect, say far more about the people involved than the fact that it happened in the first place?

Flutt made a fair comment albeit with a bit of a harsh tongue. dr. bollocko didn't like his tone of voice so gave him a slap on the wrist. Flutt pointed out that it wasn't worthy of a wristslap, in his opinion. The matter was discussed civilly here and like a gent, dr. B. admitted that maybe he was a bit hasty. Flutt says "Fair play doc" and there is a bit of backslapping and mutual love, and then you come in on the tail end of things with snide and cynical comments about how sh*t the moderating in AH is.

If you really feel that the standard of moderating in AH is so bad that bad decisions need to be "punished" I'd love to see you start a thread of your own, rather than trying to score a few points against the AH mods in the dregs of this thread.

• Advertisement

Ponster wrote: »
    One of the worst things I've ever seen posted on Boards.

Lol.
    Ponster wrote:

Begin 'punishing' or removing mods because they infract someone by mistake then it's "goodbye mods" and goodbye Boards.ie

"Bad" mods should be instructed as to how to how they could look at things differently and treat matters in a different manner, not punished.

Um, no. If a mod is doing a bad job of the task they've taken on, they should be gotten rid of.

DeV had a bit of a rant about ad block here before, well bad moderation do a lot more damage to advertising revenue than adblock ever will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Dr bollocko would have easily stuck to his original decision like so many other moderators would have. Instead he re-evaluated the infraction and admitted making a mistake. He should be commended for his actions not berated.

The criteria by which a moderator is judged is not how often they mess up but rather the actions taken when they inevitably do mess up.

Doesn't the fact that it was resolved so civilly, with mutual respect, say far more about the people involved than the fact that it happened in the first place?

No.
    cornbb wrote:
    then you come in on the tail end of things with snide and cynical comments about how sh*t the moderating in AH is.

If you really feel that the standard of moderating in AH is so bad that bad decisions need to be "punished" I'd love to see you start a thread of your own, rather than trying to score a few points against the AH mods in the dregs of this thread.

Oh I'm not isolating it to AH, if there's bad moderation anywhere on the site it should be dealt with in a more stern manner than it currently is, as far as I'm concerned.

I really don't see why you're getting so worked up over the suggestion, relax.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,229 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Do you have some other standing evidence that the good Doctor is unfit or unable to perform his duties as a Volunteer Moderator?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Ya seem to have got a bit worked up yerself. :pac:

Oh I'm not isolating it to AH, if there's bad moderation anywhere on the site it should be dealt with in a more stern manner than it currently is, as far as I'm concerned.

I totally agree with you. Mods shouldn't get away with bad modding. But in this case, given some helpful and mature feedback, the moderator in question re-evaluated his decision, which was a very mature and sensible move. Sign of a great mod, IMO.

Besides, I think the issue of long-term, low-level trolling across the site is a far greater one than bad moderation, would you agree?

Dude, you're the one who's calling for de-modding, rolling heads and so forth. Just sayin...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Whoever gets the job will certainly have their work cut out for them.

Boston wrote: »
    Dr bollocko would have easily stuck to his original decision like so many other moderators would have. Instead he re-evaluated the infraction and admitted making a mistake. He should be commended for his actions not berated.

Indeed he did and fair play to him for doing so, where as you said yourself many other moderators would not but as I said, this type of issue should never have arisen in the first place.

Instead of "Act - re-evaluate if/when it's brought up - fix if 'necessary'" it really should be a case of evaluating the situation thoroughly, consulting another mod if the situation is very thin and then acting. Particularly in the big, user drawing fora like Poker, AH, Soccer etc. Afterall, these are the fora that will bring in users and advertising revenue are certainly the starting points for many users on the site.

I realise it's easier said than done, and that obviously not every decision should take a day, but as in not so clear-cut decisions more care should be taken (imo) as seeing mods going OTT on small things will only deter new users.

Then, as I initially said, mods/cmods/smods who are seen to be continually messing up should be removed as it's just not good for the admins (revenue) and the growth of the community.

Not to mention it's very fucking annoying :)
    Overheal wrote: »
    Do you have some other standing evidence that the good Doctor is unfit or unable to perform his duties as a Volunteer Moderator?

I don't mean to target Bollocko but his "and I'll probably do it again" comment set me off a little.
    Dades wrote: »
    Ya seem to have got a bit worked up yerself. :pac:

:pac:
    I totally agree with you. Mods shouldn't get away with bad modding. But in this case, given some helpful and mature feedback, the moderator in question re-evaluated his decision, which was a very mature and sensible move. Sign of a great mod, IMO.

It's certainly a sign that he's considerably better than a lot of mods, but he's no Ruu :)
    cornbb wrote:
    Besides, I think the issue of long-term, low-level trolling across the site is a far greater one than bad moderation, would you agree?

No.
    cornbb wrote:
    Dude, you're the one who's calling for de-modding, rolling heads and so forth. Just sayin...

Yeah but I'm relaxed while doing so, you appear to be bashing the ol' keyboard in an attempt to get one over on me.:)
    julep wrote: »
    Whoever gets the job will certainly have their work cut out for them.

Indeed, and if they do a bad job of it they should be sacked too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I think we all got that anyway rb. Stating the obvious like that makes you look like the type of guy who doesn't have enough class to walk past a chance to get a sly dig in. And I know you're not that type of guy rb :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

I see what you did there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Snice.

Class is so hard to buy these days..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Indeed he did and fair play to him for doing so, where as you said yourself many other moderators would not but as I said, this type of issue should never have arisen in the first place.

Ah steady on Rb, you're blowing this out of proportion. bollocko made a mistake and manfully put his hand up to admit this was so.

It wasn't as if he infracted a bloated Flubber before telling him that he wished he fell down a flight of stairs and lost his little poo babies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

popcorn.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

RB, have you, shall we say, history with Bollocko? (Not in the biblical sense).

I mean, there are greater ills on the site and more worthy causes, than those of a (in fairness relatively new) moderator and from what I can see, Decent Bloke, making a boo boo and putting his hand up, and the situation being resolved to the satisfaction of all.

Not least the beginning of this thread, where with a few noteable exceptions, the pendulum had quickly swung overwhelmingly in favour of Moderator vs. User, an all too common occurrence here.

Once DeV had done his Solomon thing, the thing was effectively dead in the water, until Bollocko spoke up, which makes him doing so all the more commendable, as he's the only one that could have made things right at that point IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

The situation has been long resolved as far as I know, keep the Personal Issues to private messaging or Thunderdome.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

My solomon thing... lol. Now where did I put that sword...

I thought the post was a bit nasty and as I said, a 50/50 shot. I didnt over rule the mod because I think its probably worth an infraction (which I view as very minor slap) but the Mod had a rethink and I'm happy to oblige with the reversal.

Rb is being silly. Yeah, lets axe every mod who demonstrates any form of humanity or lack of divine infalliability. Particularly the ones with the cojones to rat themselves out as non-perfect.

:rolleyes:

This thread is done and has a short life span.

DeV.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement