Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dell sells Ubuntu pc's that cannot run Ubuntu

• 01-02-2009 10:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭

In short, I bought a computer that, in theory can run Ubuntu, and it turns out that, in practice, it can only run a distorted and old version of the operating system.
    Mark Shuttleworth, founder of Ubuntu, said, not a long time ago, that, in a few years, Ubuntu will be better than Mac OS X. But Apple customers buy computers that work, computers that, in general, can be upgraded and that have no issues with the versions of the OS. One can use Leopard on a MacBook or a MacBook Air, however, I bought an Ubuntu computer that cannot run Ubuntu!

Read this guys experience

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭velocirafter

what exactly wont work, it seems like a pretty vague complaint

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I agree. There obviously are drivers for this display which seems to be his main issue. If Dell have drivers in their own repo he should be able to use them on the standard Ubuntu install - Dell may have customised Bunty but it will still be based on the same code.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭velocirafter

the reasons macs can be upgraded is because the hardware is standardised, os drivers only need to be created for a couple of different hardware models, for ubuntu to compete with windows in the open pc market then it needs to support hundreds of different pieces of hardware

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You can't legally install OS X on a PC Apple didn't sell. Makes it so easy for Apple you wonder why they have so many bugs.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Would that guy have been happier if he had been a windows user who bought a "Vista Ready" PC with all the crap* on it.

And yes Dell used to ship dodgy window driver configs in the past, so it's more of a config validation issue rather than a Unix one.

*as in decrapifier

• Advertisement

He didn't 'buy' ubuntu, as you don't pay for it.

Plus it seemed like it was working but he didn't like bits of it.. I fail to see the problem here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Galen

The guy seems to have had the usual problem with Linux, driver support or the lack of it. Of course Dell had to bundle in a dead ugly GUI instead of gnome which added insult to injury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Why can't they ship with the standard latest version of Ubuntu? They can't even ship windows without their added bloat, same goes for this obviously.

See this, I smell corporate influence. This is why linux will always trail behind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Galen

Now that linux is finally in a position to directly compete with Microsoft it falls down to money, corporations would rather spend their money on the tried and trusted rather spending the money on retraining. I know it sounds rediculous having to spend money on training people how to use Linux but who said that people at the top of corporation ladders were all that bright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭charlesD

the reasons macs can be upgraded is because the hardware is standardised, os drivers only need to be created for a couple of different hardware models, for ubuntu to compete with windows in the open pc market then it needs to support hundreds of different pieces of hardware

I think perhaps more accurately, hundreds of different manufacturers of pieces of hardware need to provide Linux Drivers, just like they provide Windows drivers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement