Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can I ask questions about zoology n' animals n' stuff? :-/

Options
  • 01-02-2009 11:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

I don't even know where to ask this question, but anyway:

The Animals and Pet issues forum is for Mary asking what to do with her sick cat, and the Biology & Medicine forum seems to be just for medical/hospital issues. So where can I ask questions about and discuss zoology? It doesn't seem to fit into the aforementioned forums. I want to discuss sharks!smile.gif
    Post edited by Shield on
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Umm, no idea..!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

There's no way the Animals & Pet issues forum is a place to discuss sharks and zoology from a scientific viewpoint! It's in Recreation for starters: I'd be booted out for being a dry arse talking about science. Like, the first post is "Post your pet pic!". Awwwwwwww look at the cute little puppy wuppy, by the way, how do you think life came to be on planet Earth? Panspermia perhaps? What do you think of Darwin?

Nah, won't work.

So maybe this could turn into a request for a zoology subforum?

True, the first half being the relevant word there: Animals.

Overblood - it's Animals and Pets. Start a thread there and if the mods have issues with it then we can find a better home for it.

Ok thanks Gordon, will do.

But what do you think of the idea of a Zoology subforum?

• Advertisement

I personally think that there are way too many fora on boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Gordon wrote: »

I think there's way too many forums on boards.ie.

I saw a mod warn and threaten a ban because someone posted an off topic question in an Off Topic Thread in a Sports sub-forum. Apparently the user should've used the appropriate forum for asking his question rather than use an off-topic thread.

@ Overblood, post your question in that Animals forum and deal with any backlash afterwards

I agree. But it's not as if Zoology is a light subject and I'd say a forum to itself would go down well.

And if you think there are too many forums already, then what the hell is the story with the Wanderly Wagon forum? No actvity since 2006. How does that have a place here and something as important as Zoology does not? And other forums as somebody else mentioned on feedback, you can get rid of these without worrying about fans complaining:

the Chuck Norris forum: useless.

David Hasselhoff
    : useless.

Animation: Should really be part of Digital art & Design.

Mythology
    : Should be amalgamated with Christianity.

Audio-video-editing: Should be amalgamated with Film production. Like what's the problem with discussing how to edit a video in a Film Production forum??!!:confused:

Film awards: Come on!!! A whole forum dedicated to the oscars? It only happens once a year, can it not be dicussed in the bleedin' Film forum? NEXT!!

Game Editing
    : What the feck, no threads at all actually! No need for this.

Galway LAN: DEAD as a connemara goat that fell off a cliff.

Wolfenstein
    : Do you really need a whole forum dedicated to this game? How nerdy is that? Also, nobody uses it.

You can get rid of the Offaly forum there.

Virus & Malware: Seriously, what's the difference between this and the computer Security forum? Nothing. AMALGAMATE! BZZzrrTT! NEXT!

Home entertainment
    : Have you seen how many sub-forums this has? And they're all essentially the same too.

Get rid of the all! Click of a button.

Just as well you didn't mention the Mustard forum or heads would roll!

In fairness, you asking for a zoology forum when there is an Animals and Pets forum is a bit strange when you are asking for the Animation forum to be culled. CuLT mentioned that the fora may be looked into deeper when the Community Manager gets hired. However, for now, there is no real problem with this afais. Unless you are a mod and you are trying to move a thread to a more appropriate forum and you can't find it for the sheer massive amount of fora to search through on the forum dropdown list.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Starting a thread in Biology/Medicine mightn't be a bad idea, it's dominated by Medicine but there might be a few zoologists around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

I nearly did....

It's OK I like mustard. But do you agree with me on the fate of the rest of the fora that I listed?
    In fairness, you asking for a zoology forum when there is an Animals and Pets forum is a bit strange

Can you have a peek in at the Animals and Pet forum? Notice that it's really only for pet issues? Like fluffy the bunny and her broken foot etc.

Now I know I can probably post a topic there on shark zoology (and I probably will) but just looking for a suitable forum today has just made me notice that there isnt a Zoology forum, and I think there should be!

Don't worry I'll moderate it and take care of it no problem.:cool: I have the relevant natural sciences background. So how do I become a mod? Is this like a job interview? Do we start now?

Final answer: possibility of a zoology forum, yes or no?

Overblood wrote: »
    It's OK I like mustard. But do you agree with me on the fate of the rest of the fora that I listed?

Can you have a peek in at the Animals and Pet forum? Notice that it's really only for pet issues? Like fluffy the bunny and her broken foot etc.

Now I know I can probably post a topic there on shark zoology (and I probably will) but just looking for a suitable forum today has just made me notice that there isnt a Zoology forum, and I think there should be!

Don't worry I'll moderate it and take care of it no problem.:cool: I have the relevant natural sciences background. So how do I become a mod? Is this like a job interview? Do we start now?

Maybe, request in the forum forum and see!

I don't agree or disagree with any of your culling suggestions as I haven't looked into these fora tbh.

You need to follow this link - Moderator applications

Post a thread here - Forums and wait, and wait, and wait, and wait and wait and wait and wait and wait......... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Wolfenstein[/B]: Do you really need a whole forum dedicated to this game? How nerdy is that? Also, nobody uses it.

Looks at post. Looks at avatar. Looks back at post.* :confused:

*Yeah I know it's from Doom and not Wolfenstein but tomato po-tah-toe

javaboy wrote: »
    Looks at post. Looks at avatar. Looks back at post.* :confused:

*Yeah I know it's from Doom and not Wolfenstein but tomato po-tah-toe

Hey I think Doom is pretty cool, a thousand times better than Wolfensheizen, so how the hell does that not have it's own forum here?

I think it's time for another forum request actually.

Hey I just had a look at the Forum request forum. It's like being in the feckin' passport office or something.

I think it's time for another forum request actually.

Hey I just had a look at the Forum request forum. It's like being in the feckin' passport office or something.

:) hah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

I saw a mod warn and threaten a ban because someone posted an off topic question in an Off Topic Thread in a Sports sub-forum. Apparently the user should've used the appropriate forum for asking his question rather than use an off-topic thread.

Was that me? Cos I've done that in PW, but I don't think I warned the user and I certainly didn't threaten to ban them. I usually just tell them they will get a better response in the appropriate forum for a question and post a link to the appropriate forum. There are forums better suited to some questions, surely a user would be better off asking a question about an internet problem in a tech forum than in the Pro Wrestling off-topic-banter forum? It's one of the upsides of having so many forums, if you have a specific question you can post somewhere appropriate for a good and knowledgeable reply.

There are forums for pretty much everything on here (apart from zoology and Classic Rock apparently), but the forums that are never used don't bother me. They're like all of the other forums that I never post in, I just ignore them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Biology used to be more about zoology and theory but has over the past year become more of a doctor forum. I say post it there and get people back into discussing life in general and not just a load of locked "I have a big sty on my..." threads. I'd talk about sharks. I normally do anyway. To myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Jees this guy is prime admin material.

Maybe he should apply for the Com Manager position. His lack of posts is definetly made up with the length of opinions.

I'm actually going to formally begin, right this moment, an official protest against whoever manages the fora on boards. I have decided that I am NOT going to post a question about sharks until we get a SHARK FORUM!!

Seriously though, I can't just saunter into the middle of the Medicine (forget the biology part) forum and start asking about sharks. They'll ask me "what is it, a shark attack? do you need medical advice?" to which I'll reply "no I just want to talk about zoology n' stuff" and then WHAM instant infraction, possibly a 7 month ban.

And I'm not going to ask in the Cute Pet forum either. So until I get the go ahead for a dedicated Zoology forum, I shall refrain from asking questions about sharks.

And please don't forget about my comprehensive list of useless fora that really should be flushed down the cyber-toilet. I still can't get over that we have a Wanderly Wagon forum while there's kids starving in Africa.

Post about sharks in the Wanderly Wagon forum then!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Why all the fuss? Just post in the paleontology forum. Sharks haven't changed in a bajillion years or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Seriously though, I can't just saunter into the middle of the Medicine (forget the biology part) forum and start asking about sharks. They'll ask me "what is it, a shark attack? do you need medical advice?" to which I'll reply "no I just want to talk about zoology n' stuff" and then WHAM instant infraction, possibly a 7 month ban.

Are you serious or wha? Zoology is a branch of biology. People other than doctors read the biology forum and it would be nice to read something that isn't medical. There have been big evolution threads and I would like to see a move back to a wider biology discussion. So if you don't post a thread on sharks, I will!

Can we not separate Biology from Medicine? They are both completely different and it's a bit thick having them in the same forum. Posts about paracetamol next to shark evolution...:confused:

Where do I go to talk about fungi or jellyfish or west brazilian jumping rat spiders? Next to that thread about nurses in the HSE? No thanks. The biology & medicine forum is now 100% completely medicine. I think it's time for them to split.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I think the mods of Bio/Med were trying to encourage more Biology related topics into the forum.

It's only greater Medicine related topics because no-one has recently posted anything biology related. There was a thread on favourite bacteria though. You just need to get the ball rolling!! Post away I say!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Biology people often coplain that the biology and medicine forum is just a load of medics posting.

That's true. Well, it's also full of locked threads from people wanting medical advice :P

But I say ALL the time that we would really like more biology topics on there. I've posted my view on that so many times.

BUt it depends on people posting.

So, I reckon the OP should start at Bio+med

• Advertisement

As long as the "Biology" forum is chock full of threads like visiting GPs, what coldsore creams to get and recommend a good physiotherapist, I'm not going to start a discussion on zoology. I'm sure that's why nobody else does it too. Call this a protest! A very lazy one.

Advertisement