Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do revision Books help?

Options
  • 01-02-2009 11:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭

The Leaving cert is gettin closer by the day an i was wondering do the Less Stress More Success books help in the study(not dat ive done much). der no dat exxpensive but im still not sure if its worth it. If not is der a better method to studyin on a regular basis and a method that keeps mt attention for longer than 5 minutes.....

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Paddy001

Their handy for revising topics or parts you dont know. I have found revise wise to be better, less stress accounting is useless!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

At the end of the day they are the same as your text book your parents spent 50 quid on but with the info condensed, more accessible and no irrelevant stuff. Alternatively you could always just make your own revision notes?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

It depends for the subject, some are just muck! I thought less stress for Art History was very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭mikeglee

im doin art, music, chemistry and geography and the others. We use the revision art history in our class anyway, do any of the other books work for my chosen subjects?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Dante

mikeglee wrote: »
    im doin art, music, chemistry and geography and the others. We use the revision art history in our class anyway, do any of the other books work for my chosen subjects?

Yeh the Revise Wise is good for Geography....just I'm too lazy to do anything.
    And Rapid Revision by May Costello is decent for Music....again I'm too lazy to use it but its helpful if you take the time to read it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

The one for Chemistry is meant to be good. My friend used it.

All of the information you need is in your textbook. Just make out your own notes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Stev_o wrote: »
    Alternatively you could always just make your own revision notes?
    All of the information you need is in your textbook. Just make out your own notes.
    Agreed.

I find that by writing out notes, the day before aswell that it puts it fresh into your head and helps you learn it. Great for cramming.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

My economics and art history revision books are lifesavers. some are **** though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Swizz

Using 2 books I find is confusing, eg in Business theyve different definitions buy its useful aswell since my Business book(Business Online) is useless, but in Physics I find them helpful for shorter methods of doing experiments. Some are better than others, I find that Revise Wise are the best and concise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Shane-1

Depends on what results you are aiming for, they will get you a C/ B for most subjects, maybe for subjects like biology they might get you near an A, I had them but found them too concise, plus to get a good result you need to make your exam stand out above other peoples, and just about evryone will have the stuff thats in them books! I found them usefull for looking back over the course the night before the exams when you cant be arsed to try and read large amounts of rubbish!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Mallox

ya i have the physics revise wise and its very handy and the economics one is brilliant we use it in class all the time ... the maths revise wise for honours is good for quick revision of chapters too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Got revise wise for for Irish and it's a waste... all the instructions are in Irish:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭celtic723

Got revise wise for for Irish and it's a waste... all the instructions are in Irish:confused:

got it today as well mate. feel pretty pissed if i'm honest. im going to ask my teacher to translate what i don't understand. other than this it's fantastic for prose and poetry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭riverstick

must agree the irish revise wise is useless. all the prose/poetry notes are copied from fiuntas 2. most of the essays are in front of the edco exam papers anyway.
    shortcuts to success have very good ones for irish
    less stress for geog and german i find good. i dont really like revise wise for geog i find it a bit too condensed.
    rapid revision for business is excellent.
    shortcuts for maths o/l
    key notes for english is brilliant.

so at this stage of the year is there anyone solely relieing on revision books?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

No, havent touched them really, using my own notes.

Infinitely more helpful!

Fad wrote: »
    No, havent touched them really, using my own notes.

Infinitely more helpful!

I totally agree, i was just interested to get other peoples opinions

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I totally agree, i was just interested to get other peoples opinions

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the Chemistry Rapid Revision book, is VERY good.

But once you've made your own notes using it, its kinda redundant.

Revision books vary in quality too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I never used revision books when I did my exams, I always preferred my own notes. Rewriting out bullet point notes n stuff I found helped better.
    But if you've a subject that maybe your notes aren't great or haven't had the best teacher revision books might be good for putting the main points together for you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭manutd4life

i've used them a few times.i'm using one at the moment for maths and i will be using my business and irish ones over the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

They're amazing for Irish history because there is just SO MUCH in it! Even then they can be kind of annoying...

I find the German one handy for extra comprehensions to practice. The dork in me loves it.

i've used them a few times.i'm using one at the moment for maths and i will be using my business and irish ones over the weekend

What level are you using the maths one for and which company is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭GVNDNN

Yeah i found ReviseWise-Biology amazing, nothing in the exam papers that hasnt been found it

And economics was a life saver

also can anyone tell me if there are any good music revision books?

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭manutd4life

What level are you using the maths one for and which company is it?

ordinary revisewise

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Prowetod

I find revise wise higher maths very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

ive yet to find a less stress more sucess book that i would call helpful
    overcomplicated and denser than the text book itself

revise wise does very good ones for h irish and biology
    rapid revision hl maths is excellent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Claypigeon

Yeah, Less Stress More Success maths even at OL is I would say double the size of my actual maths book and half as helpful as its clunky to use and has no real plain English explanations, it's all notation

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Claypigeon

Yeah, Less Stress More Success maths even at OL is I would say double the size of my actual maths book and half as helpful as its clunky to use and has no real plain English explanations, it's all notation

Should add that the Less Stress More Success German edition is terribad aswell, way, way too heavy both physically and in terms of language - so much excessive junk you don't need... No good German revision books

Advertisement