Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making the future of Irish multi-lingual.

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Spyral

I don't think Irish should be mandatory in schools, but I do think it should be taught a lot better - the entire syllabus needs to be overhauled.

My french is better than my irish - possibly because we started from basics and worked up. Rather than the irish practise of 'repeat it like a parrot and it might sink in'

I actually learned my irish poems in english for the honours leaving as there was know way I knew what they'd be on about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

This post has been deleted.

To an extent, with basic translations services offered and such. I'd have no problem with it.. But at the same point - we are not expected to cater to every language that comes to Ireland. It's not feasible. We should focus on our own language first, which needs a complete overhaul rather than focusing on a another language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭O'Morris

In which case I vote to keep the one that is the global lingua franca.

I wasn't aware that anyone was saying that we shouldn't keep the global lingua franca.

Academic scores are attributable to numerous factors, of which I.Q. is only one. Quality of education is highly influential - otherwise no one would be clambering to get into certain schools over others - as is aptitude and ability to focus or accept deferred gratification. Indeed, the last two have repeatedly been put forward as the two most important qualities to have.

And given that after ten years of education, the Irish educational system consistently produces people who have little more than cupla focail (less so a decade later as they never use the language), yet somehow manage to do excel in other subjects that they will have done for even less time, would tend to invalidate your theory and point more to some deficiency in how the language is taught or promoted.

I know of plenty of people who went through the same mediocre schools and the same mediocre Irish teachers as the rest of us but who still managed to do well in Irish. It wasn't because they were more interested in the language either. One of the most intelligent people I knew in school was an English girl who had only been in the country a few years but who still did honours Irish don ardteist. Intelligent people will do well in a subject regardless of the quality of the system.

Still, I do enjoy hearing your more off the wall theories, from time to time, O'Morris.

You seem to have gotten very worked-up over my suggestion that Irish adults who can't hold a conversation in Irish are of only average intelligence. Why is that? Do you think there's something wrong with being of average intelligence?

Fuair me D in pass Irish in the leaving cert. What did you get?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

O'Morris wrote: »
    I wasn't aware that anyone was saying that we shouldn't keep the global lingua franca.
    I never said you did.
    I know of plenty of people who went through the same mediocre schools and the same mediocre Irish teachers as the rest of us but who still managed to do well in Irish. It wasn't because they were more interested in the language either.
    I said there were numerous factors, so your rebuttal of only one of the one's I cited does not invalidate that.
    Intelligent people will do well in a subject regardless of the quality of the system.
    Where does that leave Einstein, who did not do well in all his subjects?
    You seem to have gotten very worked-up over my suggestion that Irish adults who can't hold a conversation in Irish are of only average intelligence.
    Don't confuse debunking your wackier theories with being worked up.
    Do you think there's something wrong with being of average intelligence?
    I wouldn't know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

I think you'll find that I questioned the need for an entire nation to learn an entire language just so that we can do a literal translation of a place name. I will put this down to it being one of your misunderstandings.

I think Ive already cleared up your misunderstanding with that one.
    Are you going to say 'vulgar' again, btw? You might try 'boorish' next time for variety
    Anglophone yesterday and today boorish. Education is never a waste.

No vulgar is more apt for your posts, see below. Would you accept muppet-like?
    That must make Ireland a nation of retards
    More vulgar than boorish, yes?
    I hear a lot of Polish being spoken by resident taxpayers whose money is funding the promotion of Irish in this state. Don't you think their own language deserves official recognition?

No, do you?

That's a bit like saying that Linux is second only to Windows in the desktop OS market, while failing to note that Windows has a 95 percent market share.

Irish is "creating employment" only by bloating an already oversized public sector. It is a completely insular and self-serving industry. If it disappeared tomorrow, 97 percent of the population wouldn't even notice.

The irish public sector is one of the smallest in Europe. Dont believe everything the media tells you. Most of that part of your post is "self serving" nonsense. 97% wouldnt even notice? The fact that that comment is so untrue shows how much an impact Irish has.

My point being that mastering Irish in order to read the alleged classics of Irish-language literary output is a misguided rationale. At least if one learns French or German, one can read world-class literature and philosophy.

Your backprdalling again. Your point was that Irish Art and Culture was inferior. You used examples of Imperial powers tp prove this irrational idea.
    This was and is the sign of a national inferiority complex on your part.

What are you talking about now? When did I ever mention the IRA?
    You said this I believe:

"See, it's the quick leap to authoritarianism that exposes the connection between so-called "language revival" and far-right nationalism."

Far-right is a bit rich coming from you isnt it BTW?

Nobody is arguing on this thread that Irish should be "destroyed."

You are very much doing that. Your inferiority complex means you hate Irish. You have made your irrational feelings on this quite clear over this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Ok closing this.

Next time I see you guys interact like this you'll be banned from the forum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement