Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best non powered GPU

Options
  • 01-02-2009 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭

For a dell optiplex 745 with a massive 305 watt psu. 7800 refuses to work on it so assuming any top cards wont work.

For a poor mate so need to try find him the best card that doesnt require power and it better than a 6800 (currently in it).

New PSU is 160 from http://www.pcpower.com/power-supply/silencer-470-dell.html and listed as end of life with no other psu on their covering the 745.

Would like to just pick up a non powered half decent GPU if possible.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Strange that the 7800 doesn't work. In what way does it not work? I'd assume the card was ****ed rather then the PSU couldn't provide enough juice, 305w Dell PSU's have been known to run fairly power hungry cards up to the 4850 range.

4670 would be a huge upgrade alright, and its a decent gaming card in its own right so it's not like hes settling for some piece of tat. Just don't buy it from Pixmania - joke of a company. Try here.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Strange that the 7800 doesn't work. In what way does it not work? I'd assume the card was ****ed rather then the PSU couldn't provide enough juice, 305w Dell PSU's have been known to run fairly power hungry cards up to the 4850 range.

Cheers bought the 4670 from elara.

7800 "not enough power" issue and only runs at half speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

How do you mean it only works at half speed?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Hardware/Components/Video_Cards/Q_23530718.html

This error, then the card only runs at 200mhz so as not to overheat.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I was in the same situation as you, managed to pick up a 512mb 8600GT for forty euro on adverts.ie. Doesnt need a lot of power, I have the same pc as you in work, stuck the card in, worked no problem :)

Min PSU for the card is 280 watts, so it was cutting close!

Advertisement