Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D'ya play de ballads

Options
  • 01-02-2009 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭

So if I get asked this question one more time at a gig I am going to f***ing scream!!!

I play solo doing covers in pubs and always try to do a good mix of tunes to try cater for most tastes, but am I wrong in refusing to play "de ballads". I mean for starters I dont know any to play, nor do I care to. The whole Luke Kelly fascination aint my scene.

But older folk asking I can accept and try pawn them off with excuses and a few 60's tunes but f**k me I cannot get over the amount of guys in their late teens and 20's demanding to hear this stuff and getting mouthy when you dont oblige.

I am in my 30's and always thought it was a pre-requisite to be at least 100yrs old, stink of whiskey and have a beard down to your balls to be into that fiddley dee.

I just do not know where they are getting this musical frame of reference from! I thought the point of music was to not listen to the music your oul fella did?????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

population wrote: »
    I thought the point of music was to not listen to the music your oul fella did?????

Eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

am I wrong in refusing to play "de ballads". I mean for starters I dont know any to play, nor do I care to.
    If you are indeed trying to cater for all tastes (your statement, not mine) then yes, you're wrong.

There are 4 or 5 classics that might do the trick without alienating anyone - e.g. "Streets of New York", "Red Rose Cafe"....
    I thought the point of music was to not listen to the music your oul fella did?????
    Haven't a notion WHERE you got that idea from :confused: ........crap is crap, and decent is decent, regardless of who listened to it.

If the above was a real criteria, we'd all be listening to Westlife or X-factor rubbish, since my dad NEVER listened to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭population

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    If you are indeed trying to cater for all tastes (your statement, not mine) then yes, you're wrong.

There are 4 or 5 classics that might do the trick without alienating anyone - e.g. "Streets of New York", "Red Rose Cafe"....

Haven't a notion WHERE you got that idea from :confused: ........crap is crap, and decent is decent, regardless of who listened to it.

If the above was a real criteria, we'd all be listening to Westlife or X-factor rubbish, since my dad NEVER listened to that.

Dont get your Westlife point at all. There are other types of current music out there.

Anyways might have been a sweeping Dads statement, but the point I was trying to make is that isnt your teens meant to be a musical hotbed of malcontent. Isnt your Dad meant to see you listening to Bad Religion, Metallica, Prodigy or whoever and say "Thats ****e".

Oh continue listing ballads though because I will take the advice and learn em.

Dont get your Westlife point at all. There are other types of current music out there.

Agreed. But my point was that if ".....the point of music was to not listen to the music your oul fella did?????" then the fact that your oul fella wouldn't listen to Westlife would make it somehow appealing to you - which I doubt.

Likewise, I know young[ish] people who wouldn't listen to The Prodigy or Basshunter in a fit, even if peer pressure tries to imply that it's cool.

Basically, everyone makes their own choices; or at least they should. "The Galway Girl" was around for YEARS before it suddenly got "popular"; "Don't Stop Believing" was a rarely-played classic until it appeared in The Sopranos and got played to death.

I've been involved at both ends; resurrecting old gems and breaking brand new music, and good stuff is good stuff, regardless of genre or age; and peer pressure as to what's "cool" or "rebellious" is bumping up a lot of rubbish to beyond the status that it should have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Play Mrs McGrath, that's a good tune.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Bit off topic, but I was in a well-known late bar that plays a lot of indie a few years back. A friend's colleague (nice girl, but terrible taste in music) asked (shouted at. really) the DJ to play Fields of Athenry. The DJ without even looking up, just casually replied "fuck off" and went back to his records.

Perhaps you had to be there. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

If you are playing solo covers in a pub, I would have thought it inevitable that you'd be asked to play some ballads at some stage. FWIW, I hate ballads, but I assume you are there to please and entertain the crowd, so if that's what they want (regardless of age) then learning a few ballads might be prudent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

stovelid wrote: »
    Bit off topic, but I was in a well-known late bar that plays a lot of indie a few years back. A friend's colleague (nice girl, but terrible taste in music) asked (shouted at. really) the DJ to play Fields of Athenry. The DJ without even looking up, just casually replied "fuck off" and went back to his records.

Yeah! :D He should be given a medal.

Yeah! :D He should be given a medal.

If he was anywhere in Munster he'd have been shown the door and they'd have gotten someone decent in to play to the crowd.

Plus, whatever about the pros and cons of playing something, any employee who tells a punter to f**k off should be sacked on the spot. "Sorry, don't have it" / "Sorry, wouldn't suit the crowd" / "Maybe later (with no intention of playing it)" are all acceptable responses, but "f**k off" based on a simple valid-if-unwelcome request isn't.....it's about as unprofessional as they come.

Brush Shiel's version makes a regular appearance around the times of the Munster matches, and rightly so.
    Perhaps you had to be there.

Glad I wasn't, by the sound of things.

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Plus, whatever about the pros and cons of playing something, any employee who tells a punter to f**k off should be sacked on the spot. "Sorry, don't have it" / "Sorry, wouldn't suit the crowd" / "Maybe later (with no intention of playing it)" are all acceptable responses, but "f**k off" based on a simple valid-if-unwelcome request isn't.....it's about as unprofessional as they come.

I'm sure he doesn't see playing a few tunes in a grotty basement as a profession, if he has any sense. I'm also sure (if I was the kind of person that bugged DJs to play tunes) I wouldn't have found it very funny. Even if it wasn't very nice, it made me laugh anyway.

• Advertisement

anyone ever see that baldy fella with an acoustic guitar doing the auld choones in that pub on Westmorland Street opposite the ESB and beside one of them knaff tourist shops ?

Take me up to Monto, Monto , Monto,
    Take me up to Monto, Monto , Monto,
    Langeroooooo..........

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭davylee

good point stovelid. f**k off might have been a bit harsh but i certainly understand his frustration. i do discos from time to time and say i play the galway girl, within 5 mins i have someone come up to me saying play the galway girl. It's like by playing the song you're only giving them a reminder to request that song. All i'm saying is that drunk people shouting (not saying that the girl in your case was ) bullsh1t at you all night does get on your t1ts from time to time.:mad:

Dj's 2favourite words are fuc`k and off

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭St Bill

Is it not all part of the job? If you're working in a pub/at a gig, you're always going to have drunken people asking for songs that don't fit in with what you like. If it's getting to you that much, you should just stay at home and play for your own pleasure. Or failing that, go work in a grotty basement where apparently (according to a post here) a basic knowledge of social skills doesn't have to be part of your job description.

davylee wrote: »
    good point stovelid. f**k off might have been a bit harsh but i certainly understand his frustration. i do discos from time to time and say i play the galway girl, within 5 mins i have someone come up to me saying play the galway girl. It's like by playing the song you're only giving them a reminder to request that song. All i'm saying is that drunk people shouting (not saying that the girl in your case was ) bullsh1t at you all night does get on your t1ts from time to time.:mad:

As I said in an earlier post, I assume you are there to entertain and please the crowd, which means playing what they want. If you're not happy with the job and what it entails, then do as St Bill says and give it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

"De ballads!" Sounds like something I'd hear around my part of the country... :( Farmers love "de ballads" don't they! :rolleyes: If some cûnt in a reflecter jacket walks up to me and then asks me to play, "November Rain", I'd gladly tell him to "fück off"! I don't mind G'n'R, but their power ballads are excrusiationly shįt (aswell as the other ballads). Worst thing about living in Cavan. It's just great not everybody here is like that!

Rigsby wrote: »
    As I said in an earlier post, I assume you are there to entertain and please the crowd, which means playing what they want. If you're not happy with the job and what it entails, then do as St Bill says and give it up.

It's reasonable to assume that 'entertaining and pleasing the crowd' in an indie venue (one that is clearly known as such) doesn't include playing the Fields of Athenry. What about the 95% of punters that have came to hear the music you would expect in the venue. A few spins of stuff like FOA and I wouldn't be going back.

I also would never bug DJs for requests unless they knew me, or I was chatting with them.

I should point out here I just found the reaction funny. I wasn't claiming that the DJ was right to be rude. The girl is question is sound enough, and saw the funny side eventually, and, I can assure you, would be the sort to pointedly ask for the song again (or others like it) at more stages during the night.

It's reasonable to assume that 'entertaining and pleasing the crowd' in an indie venue (one that is clearly known as such) doesn't include playing the Fields of Athenry.

Yes it is reasonable to assume that, it's also reasonable to assume that you 're not going to receive personal abuse because your taste in music doesn't match that of the 'demi-god' dj. Music snobbery at it's worst.

I also would never bug DJs for requests unless they knew me, or I was chatting with them.

I never go to DJ places, but what's wrong with asking ("bugging") the DJ for a request.:confused: Is everyone supposed to listen to whatever the DJ wants to play ? If this is the case then St Bill is right in that they do consider themselves "demi-gods". :rolleyes:

It's reasonable to assume that 'entertaining and pleasing the crowd' in an indie venue (one that is clearly known as such) doesn't include playing the Fields of Athenry. What about the 95% of punters that have came to hear the music you would expect in the venue. A few spins of stuff like FOA and I wouldn't be going back.

I should point out here I just found the reaction funny. I wasn't claiming that the DJ was right to be rude. The girl is question is sound enough, and saw the funny side eventually, and, I can assure you, would be the sort to pointedly ask for the song again (or others like it) at more stages during the night.

The original poster said he was playing covers in a pub. What's your view on wheather he should play ballads if asked to do so ?

• Advertisement

I never go to DJ places, but what's wrong with asking ("bugging") the DJ for a request.:confused: Is everyone supposed to listen to whatever the DJ wants to play ? If this is the case then St Bill is right in that they do consider themselves "demi-gods". :rolleyes:

By DJ, I don't mean some big name ponce, just a lad playing tunes.

I go to that particular place sometimes, because I like most of the music. The guy is paid to play music in the bar. He's not there to provide a personal soundtrack for me on request. Or for any other drunk.

Again: I simply said that I laughed because I found it funny. I was relating an off-topic story.

I wouldn't do it.

I also wouldn't like it done to me, but it will never will be because when I go to a bar with a few hundred other punters in it, I don't drunkenly badger the DJ to play music especially for me, unless I know them.

By DJ, I don't mean some big name ponce, just a lad playing tunes.

I go to that particular place sometimes, because I like most of the music. The guy is paid to play music in the bar. He's not there to provide a personal soundtrack for me on request. Or for any other drunk.

Again: I simply said that I laughed because I found it funny. I was relating an off-topic story.

I wouldn't do it.

I also wouldn't like it done to me, but it will never will be because when I go to a bar with a few hundred other punters in it, I don't drunkenly badger the DJ to play music especially for me, unless I know them.

I still cant understand why a DJ cant play a particular song (I'm not saying a set list) if requested to (if he has it ).

Also if you are working in a bar you can (should) expect to be approached by drunks. Does it not go with the job ?

The original poster said he was playing covers in a pub. What's your view on wheather he should play ballads if asked to do so ?

Dunno? Depends on the night. My mum and dad go to see a lad that plays covers sometimes, and it's more of a shout-your-request thing, which is fair enough. Or in some places, there is an unspoken consensus about some songs. A song that the whole place wants, say, on a given night like sports events.

But if the lad has a set in mind, and you want a specific tune played, especially one that's at odds with what the rest of the place expects; what gives you the right to drunkenly bug the guy all night to play it?

Also if you are working in a bar you can (should) expect to be approached by drunks. Does it not go with the job ?

Not really. He's paid to play music. If the majority of the punters are happy with the music that's been played, why should he be pestered all night by people who want a specific tune just for them?

Yes a dj/musician/whatever is paid to play music and not be pestered, but sometimes being pestered is part of the job. I'm sure there are perks that go along with the job too (just like any job). However, regardless of the type of job you do, the position you hold does not give you the right to personally abuse someone. It ain't funny and hardly equal.....I'm assuming that dj/music-man/whatever you call him had a microphone to hand to totally degrade the person asking for the 'shock, horror' Fields of Athenry?

Not really. He's paid to play music. If the majority of the punters are happy with the music that's been played, why should he be pestered all night by people who want a specific tune just for them?

I think we'll have to agree to differ on this. I'm glad I dont like DJ venues,(even more so after this thread), so I'll just leave them looking down from their ivory tower on all the "drunks". :D

I think we'll have to agree to differ on this. I'm glad I dont like DJ venues,(even more so after this thread), so I'll just leave them looking down from their ivory tower on all the "drunks". :D

You'd hardly call it a 'DJ venue' if you had seen it :D

You'd hardly call it a 'DJ venue' if you had seen it :D

Maybe not :D

But I'm talking about "DJ venues" in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Fair play for refusing tbh. Just because some loud twat wants it, doesn't mean everyone there wants it. You're the DJ, they're the cretin that only knows 4 songs.

• Advertisement

Kold wrote: »
    You're the DJ, they're the cretin that only knows 4 songs.

Yeah, that attidude seems to sum up the DJ alright. :D

Advertisement