Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer causing connection freezes

Options
  • 02-02-2009 12:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭

I've been having a problem with my internet now for the past months and I'm desperate at this stage to fix it. Basically whatever is causing it to happen is making my browsers take up to 30 seconds to load a website, to connect to a game, to reload connection info in a game, to connect to any online software really, and is also preventing me from connecting to the likes of Limewire too.

When I first log on internet works grand, but give it maybe 2 minutes and it just takes ages to connect to a server for a website, game etc to start loading. Once it eventually loads its grand then for another couple of minutes and then same problem occures. I'm with NTL and have a 10MB connection, and at first I thought it was their end causing it but I connected the modem up to the laptop and it worked grand on that so its definitely the computer causing it.

I've tried everything I can think of at this stage; disk cleanup, defrag, general cleanup of hard drive, spyware scan, virus scan, cooling down the room in case it was computer overheating causing it, and nothing works.

I found something on www.tweakxp.com that is the exact problem I'm having - http://www.tweakxp.com/article37127.aspx, but their solution doesn't apply to me as I don't have Microsoft TCP/IP version 6 installed, so I'm back to square 1.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this to happen?

Just to clarify its not the actual speed thats affected, once something loads it loads instantly as it should, it just takes ages to connect and start loading.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Jim236

Anyone?:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Diver79

Sounds like it could be your firewall negotiating the link. I noticed in work after installing a hardware firewall the initial connection took longer to complete. You could try turning off your routers firewall functionality, also try turning off any software firewall you may have running.

If you can run another PC/Laptop on the same network you can then pin the problem down to either the router or your computer.

Advertisement