Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Respect the Ref

• 02-02-2009 12:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭

Today was an excellent example of why the respect the ref campaign was and is a sham. It is based on the premise that the problem was players and managers reaction to decisions rather than the real problem, the decisions being the wrong ones.

Lampard was sent off today, that was a joke.
    Newcastle were awarded a pretty dodgy penalty.
    Bosingwa stamped on a liverpool player's back.

These decisions cost teams precious points. Then managers have a go in post match interviews and get fined by the FA. It's all absolute rubbish.

I watched the Australian Open and constantly players successfully challenged calls by the line judges. I'm about to watch the Superbowl and the managers will have the opportunity to have decisions rechecked. The 6 nations starts next week and dodgy try decisions can be rechecked. None of this slows down the play to any serious degree, it doesn't disrupt the game. If anything it adds to the overall drama and ultimately leads to greater fairness in the result - the deserving team/players prevail.

My question is that: is the whole respect the ref rubbish a credible response to this problem when the technology is there? Why cant FIFA/UEFA/FA get the finger out and implement proper technology?

The idea that making players and managers shut up about bad decisions solves the problem is absolutely ridiculous. I don't know any football fan who is actually against this.

opinions please.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭YDMHSSB

tv refs are the answer, like rugby.

give the captain of the team 1, max 2 chances in a game to call a tv ref. if they use up their chance on 1 silly call, then thats it.

too many big decisions are going sh*t lately, getting worse and worse. its been a bad few weeks for refs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

+1

What's the point of a respect the referee campaign if the referee's are sub-standard? The above examples are spot on. Hell, I'm a Liverpool fan, but even I realise that the Lampard sending-off was a joke. Chelsea will appeal, and win, and rightly so. The point is they shouldn't have to appeal. Video replay could have sorted out the problem there and then. Like the OP says, in rugby and ternnis, it doesn't slow down the game. It's ridiculous that FIFA refuses to implement it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

How does technology work in the pheonix park?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭cm2000

what is the rationale for this does anyone know??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

UEFA are trying out 2 refs behind the goals in youth tournaments at the moment

thats why Platini and Sepp Blatter are a joke

refs are only Human they'll still make errors
    and i dought the PL have enought refs for that too

i can't understand why video evidence is not being considered

In no time we could have decisions

alot of managers have lost their jobs because of bad decision by refs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

UEFA are trying out 2 refs behind the goals in youth tournaments at the moment

thats why Platini and FIFA President Sepp Blatter are a joke

refs are only Human they'll still make errors
    and i dought the PL have enought refs for that too

i can't understand why video evidence is not being considered

In no time we could have decisions

alot of managers have lost their jobs because of bad decision by refs

I saw some of the test match of this and it seemed stupid as the two refs behind the goal could come out over the line. Would completely ruin the game. Maybe if they kept there distance but what they were doing in the test match was really bad.

Im for TV ref. 1 ref to be able watch replay and say to main ref over mic. Andy gray usually can tell from first replay which takes about 10seconds. Alot less time than people are thinking. Its not going to take 1min+

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭YDMHSSB

dreamers75 wrote: »
    How does technology work in the pheonix park?

whos talking about the phennix park in all fairness? we only talking at the top level, same as rugby only has this at top level. in all fairness, theres f8ck all at stake in some random kcik about at the PP.

YDMHSSB wrote: »
    whos talking about the phennix park in all fairness? we only talking at the top level, same as rugby only has this at top level. in all fairness, theres f8ck all at stake in some random kcik about at the PP.

FIFA and UEFAs stance on it has always been that whatever is brought in to help refs must be available for all levels. The 2 refs, the 4 linos in italy and next UEFA u17 tournament etc: They have been trying things just avoiding technology as it wont work for all aspects of the game.

I with FIFA on this one.

FIFA and UEFAs stance on it has always been that whatever is brought in to help refs must be available for all levels. The 2 refs, the 4 linos in italy and next UEFA u17 tournament etc: They have been trying things just avoiding technology as it wont work for all aspects of the game.

I with FIFA on this one.

Well thats rubbish. when you have the technology use it. why not? it only makes it fairer for those who have the technology. it doesn't adversely affect those who can't implement it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,454 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

They can't get enough refs as it is, and we have mangers acting as linesmen in park football - adding two refs is equally unfeasable for grassroutes football as technology is.

• Advertisement

for anyone watching the superbowl, the cardinals just got saved 7 points from challenging a call. That doesnt make it worse for any high school football game that doesnt have the technology, it just makes it fair for this game.

I'm about to watch the Superbowl and the managers will have the opportunity to have decisions rechecked.

Someone just scored something in the superbowl, there was a call for something. Took 10 minutes to sort it out. And you want this in Football!!!!!

30 minutes after you extolled the virtues off it, it bites you in the ass :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Someone just scored something in the superbowl, there was a call for something. Took 10 minutes to sort it out. And you want this in Football!!!!!

30 minutes after you extolled the virtues off it, it bites you in the ass :D

Haha........

Dreamers is spot on. I am watching it and its a joke. Totally kills the game in fairness. Just look at Rugby and the amount of time it takes them to makes decisions. It would totally ruin the game. Football has done fine the way it is for the past 100 odd years. Leave it alone !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

There was good decisions as well.

Duff yellow carded for diving and numerous pks rejected that were dodgy and thats just the Tyneside Derby

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

A hawkeye should be embedded onto Gerrards shirt so all his moves can be followed.....

His tackle was worthy of a red itself...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

They can't get enough refs as it is, and we have mangers acting as linesmen in park football - adding two refs is equally unfeasable for grassroutes football as technology is.

That's been going on for many many years and all depends at what level you play at. the more senior leagues have a ref and linesmen,

the importance of the game should reflect what's available to make it better.

in American football there is only a couple of calls a manager is allowed to call. In soccer you should be allowed one call with a 30 second review the max allowed. if 30 seconds isn't enough the original decision should stand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

That's just stupid. It's like saying you can't have Hawkeye in Wimbeldon because it can't be done on the local park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,454 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

kearnsr wrote: »
    That's been going on for many many years and all depends at what level you play at. the more senior leagues have a ref and linesmen,

the importance of the game should reflect what's available to make it better.

in American football there is only a couple of calls a manager is allowed to call. In soccer you should be allowed one call with a 30 second review the max allowed. if 30 seconds isn't enough the original decision should stand

I agree - TV tech should be used in football, I would limit it to penalties given, red cards given and possibly goal line issues. I would also stipulate that if a team challenges a red card,and it is upheld in the game, it can not then be appealed after the game. My comment about the refs was in relation to people saying tech shouldn't be used cause it can't be implemented at grass routes level, which is a poor reason not to use it imo.

If a league or governing body has the funds to implement such a system they should do it. It doesn't matter if it can't be utilised in all levels of football in all countries; as long as it is used for the entire league or cup no one is at a disadvantage (in this case, I would concede that it may not be possible to use the tech in all cup competitions, FA Cup for instance, as it would be extremely costly to a prohibitive degree (imo) to implement it at ALL football grounds. No reason it can not be implemented in the CL (proper) and major leagues with regards to club level games.

Advertisement