Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free meteor to meteor from ROI to NI?

• 02-02-2009 12:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭

hey i have a question i really hope u guys can help, here it is.....if i have free meteor calls and texts on my meteor sim....and if i give someone in northern ireland a meteor sim card, can i....ring and text them for free just like calling and texting some in ROI?...thanks for any replys:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭AKK

marko91 wrote: »
    hey i have a question i really hope u guys can help, here it is.....if i have free meteor calls and texts on my meteor sim....and if i give someone in northern ireland a meteor sim card, can i....ring and text them for free just like calling and texting some in ROI?...thanks for any replys:)

Not 100% sure but I was speaking to a meteor-customer-care-agent on Friday in relation to the free calls and texts offer and she said it couldn't be used when abroad/'roaming'. As far as I know, crossing the border is 'roaming'. Open to correction though.

EDIT: Just reread the question! I guess my input is more relevant to the person in NI...!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

It's free for the person calling once they're in ROI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭marko91

ye ye true thats what i tought but when in spain i can send and receive texts for free....so maby if i tried it it would work?thanks for the quick reply anyways just hope it works:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

ye ye true thats what i tought but when in spain i can send and receive texts for free....so maby if i tried it it would work?thanks for the quick reply anyways just hope it works:)

If that's the case then something's gone wrong because you shouldn't be able to

you'll be able to call and text them for free but they won't be able to call and text back for free

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Newport81

if the person in the north changes the roaming network to tmobile it will be free for them to receive calls from you and they can text u and ring you at normal prices

• Advertisement

smyths wrote: »
    if the person in the north changes the roaming network to tmobile it will be free for them to receive calls from you and they can text u and ring you at normal prices

It's not exactly normal prices because there's a connection fee for each call he makes and they can't use the free calls and texts offer. But it'll be free for the guy in ireland to call him

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    It's not exactly normal prices because there's a connection fee for each call he makes and they can't use the free calls and texts offer. But it'll be free for the guy in ireland to call him

so if i rang them it would cost me nothing yes but will they be charged any roaming fees etc?

so if i rang them it would cost me nothing yes but will they be charged any roaming fees etc?

not exactly. here is how it works in the north:
    http://roaming.meteor.ie/plans/roaming/payg/nireland

for them to call you is 20c per minute
    for them to text you it's 20c

for you to call them it costs them nothing because of a deal they have with t-mobile that makes it free to receive calls and it costs you nothing because you have the free calls offer. therefore you can call them and neither of you pays anything

you can also text them for your normal rate (ie free) and it costs them nothing to receive it.

the one thing i'm not 100% sure on is this line:
    T-Mobile Pay As You Go customer calls are subject to a 29c connection fee
    so it's possible but very unlikely that it will cost them 29c to connect a call from you but be free thereafter. i called meteor and asked and the girl confirmed that the 29c only applies to outgoing calls but i wouldn't be totally sure until you've tried it for yourself

so basically it's either going to be completely free (most likely) or will cost them a once off charge of 29c per call (very unlikely)

thanks alot sam for the help and info...it seems itl be free but once i give it a try in the next 2 weeks i will let u now how i get on...thanks again i appreciate the help people use r great:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭milly4ever

i always get charged to receive meteor to meteor calls in the north, even when on the t-mobile network:(

• Advertisement

milly4ever wrote: »
    i always get charged to receive meteor to meteor calls in the north, even when on the t-mobile network:(

does the person calling u have free meteor calls?hmm how much u get charged?dam:(

does the person calling u have free meteor calls?hmm how much u get charged?dam:(
    yeah they have free calls. we have done several 'tests' stayong on the phone for a minute or so and its a euro, maybe more. she didn't believe the calls weren't free untill she answered a call in the north herself and all her credit went!

you need to text travel to 50104 to sign up to the special rate. annoying i know

look here:
    http://roaming.meteor.ie/plans/roaming/payg/nireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

so you just ignored the answers i gave you after you continued to pm me when i told you to try keep it on thread to help others?

Why do i bother.

Random wrote: »
    so you just ignored the answers i gave you after you continued to pm me when i told you to try keep it on thread to help others?

Why do i bother.

i did keep it on thread! anyways when i try it out ill post my results

when i sign up for the roaming in the terms and conditions it says i gotta have topped up by 60 euro before to make it work....thats crap since its just a new sim card

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

OP- Yes and no..... here is how i managed to do this to England

I had my meteor account set to the free calls & texts to meteor numbers, then i sent a friend of mine over another meteor sim that was on the uk & ni roaming tarriff....

Essentially how it works from there is that as long as the sim you send to NI is roaming on T-Mobile, then you can call and text them for free.

Hope this helps :D

i gave my friend the sim card with the free t-mobile roaming on it...and ive free calls and texts but i cant ring them it just asks me to leave a call cather tingy....i readed the T&C,s of the offer on meteor.ie and says the sim thats on roaming needs to have been topped up by 60 euro for it to work!?and also a 29c connection fee!? WTF?...so ill have to top the sim up by 60 euro and every time i ring them itl cost them 29c to answer?:mad:

in the past week i've been up north, i was able to receive several calls from meteor numbers when i was on t-mobile for free. then one other person, also on meteor called me for a minute and it suddenly charged me a euro!
    to be on the safe side from now on i am going to reject all calls on my meteor phone while im up north! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

to be on the safe side from now on i am going to reject all calls on my meteor phone while im up north!

You would get 4 minutes for a Euro, not one. Most likely it just lost the T-Mobile signal and roamed on to another network briefly. Rather than rejecting calls you would be better to set your roaming to manual.

• Advertisement

ardmacha wrote: »
    Rather than rejecting calls you would be better to set your roaming to manual.

Especially because if you have voicemail set up you still pay a roaming charge for the person to leave a message

in the past week i've been up north, i was able to receive several calls from meteor numbers when i was on t-mobile for free. then one other person, also on meteor called me for a minute and it suddenly charged me a euro!
    to be on the safe side from now on i am going to reject all calls on my meteor phone while im up north! :eek:

u musnt have txt in for that tmobile offer.....when i ring people up north that have that tmobile thing set up its free:pjust hang up after 59 mins then ring back

ardmacha wrote: »
    You would get 4 minutes for a Euro, not one. Most likely it just lost the T-Mobile signal and roamed on to another network briefly. Rather than rejecting calls you would be better to set your roaming to manual.

Had it set to manual! was warned by a friend who once had it set to automatic, network changed to Orange and all her credit was drained!

Advertisement