Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History - Must know areas?

Options
  • 02-02-2009 1:18am
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 284 ✭✭

Well basically my situation is this; repeating the leaving cert and in the last 5 months since september, our teacher hasn't even finished the european section.. I havent a clue about any of the Irish section... we're doing Topic 2+3, but other than that I really dont know where to start.. I'm gonna have to start doing it on my own but would really appreciate if someone could help break it up a bit so I can make a plan for myself :<

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Dante

Emm well im clueless about the red book whatever its called so I can't really help you there, but with the green book you should really know:
    1) the Treaty Negotiations
    2) the 1916 Rising
    3) Cival war/war of independance
    4) Cumann na nGadhael & Fianna Fail from 1923-1939 (Economic policies & Anglo Irish relations & Problems faces by each party)
    5)Ireland & Northern Ireland during the war (economically and militarily)

Learn all or even 2 or 3 of them and you should be fine. I would study the 4th topic well cause its will more then likely come up in some shape or form. There's probably loads more to know but oh well. Hope this helps in some way!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

The history exams are topical! The eucharistic congress is hotly rumored to come up this year..... Plus what about the american section?? Just the case studys are enough - vietmam, the moon landings and montgomery bus boycott will do.......... Also have you started your special topic?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

landyman wrote: »
    The history exams are topical! The eucharistic congress is hotly rumored to come up this year..... Plus what about the american section?? Just the case studys are enough - vietmam, the moon landings and montgomery bus boycott will do.......... Also have you started your special topic?

Disagree about the whole topical thing there. I did the History LC a few years back and it wasn't really then. I know its changed since, I gave my cousin help a year ago in it. From what i saw, yes it seemed that those case studies(think thats it anyway bout RTE ect) have a few essays in the exam but you won't get away with it entirely. The best thing you can do imo for history is ignore looking at it in topics and chapters. History is a story at the end of the day, a sequence of events interconnected, you need to understand the whole story. If a chapter is about Fianna Fail 1932 to 1948, you may get a question about that, alternatively however, the question will be broader like the Irish economy, 1922-1939, encompassing two chapters. A lot of people get bogged down saying, i'll ignore such and such a period but that is a huge mistake imo and will **** you over in the exam.

My advice if your screwed at this stage would be too take a very general look at topics now. Understand the story really well, the facts like dates and names will follow and will stick well with some good cramming the few weeks before. Essay technique is up to your teachers-however, one thing i would advise is to have some great end lines to your opening paragraph and end paragraph, sync the two together it'll stand out well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

There are 3 Case Studies in each book. 1 essay at least MUST relate to a Case study.

Case Stduies:
    Green Book - Treaty Negotiations; Eucharistic Congress; Belfast Blitz
    Learn them and the case studies in the other three books very well and you can sit the LC exam and achieve a good mark. Also, skim through the other parts to gain a better understanding of the whole story.

K4t wrote: »
    There are 3 Case Studies in each book. 1 essay at least MUST relate to a Case study.

That's not true. Just because its happened so far doesn't mean it MUST come up.....It isn't advised to learn only the case studies as there is a possibility that they won't come up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

We wrote: »
    Well basically my situation is this; repeating the leaving cert and in the last 5 months since september, our teacher hasn't even finished the european section.. I havent a clue about any of the Irish section... we're doing Topic 2+3, but other than that I really dont know where to start.. I'm gonna have to start doing it on my own but would really appreciate if someone could help break it up a bit so I can make a plan for myself :<

Repeating the LC and you still haven't a clue? Free education, you'd wonder.

Anyway, learn off Parnell, Ireland 1922-39 - economic polices and Anglo-Irish relations if your only doing the bear minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Twinkle-star15

themont85 wrote: »
    From what i saw, yes it seemed that those case studies(think thats it anyway bout RTE ect) have a few essays in the exam but you won't get away with it entirely.

The prescribed document question for 2009 is topic 6, USA, and that's only asked on the case studies. You'll need to know a little bit of background for the 40 mk question, but not much. If you're really stuck for time, leave Vietnam out because it came up last year, and concentrate on Moon Landing and Montgomery. Obviously for the real thing do Vietnam, but maybe not in as much detail.

Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Brooke01

when do u have history for the mocks.....i think ours is the 11 !!!

Brooke01 wrote: »
    when do u have history for the mocks.....i think ours is the 11 !!!

Somebody an eager beaver for answers...!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

The green book is the 1870-1914 one isn't it guys? The one everyone's talking about is brown... Just know Parnell inside and out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Jam-Fly

Write an essay on the following and learn it:

1) Was Bismarck a good Chancellor?
    2) Who did more to solve the Land Question, the Conservatives or the Liberals?
    3) Discuss Fianna Fail and their economic policy up to 1949

4) Study the Montgomery bus boycott and know how to answer documents questions.

There ya go, the whole history course...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 284 ✭✭We

ateam wrote: »

Anyway, learn off Parnell, Ireland 1922-39 - economic polices and Anglo-Irish relations if your only doing the bear minimum.
    Believe it or not yes, I still havn't a clue ;)
    I'm repeating because I did nothing last year, at all.. I've made my mistakes and regret them. I came here because I needed history advice, what I don't need is a condescending attitude from some clown with a chip on his shoulder and the urge to make ignorant comments with no purpose or importance...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

ateam wrote: »

Free education, you'd wonder.

Anyway OP, If I were you I would get the predictions of the grinds schools and go with them. When I was doing the LC I got them off my mate and studied them. Got a B+.

Advertisement