Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What were the top 3 local news stories since 1969

Options
  • 02-02-2009 1:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭

Just wondering what your top three Sligo news stories in the last 40 years are? (the last 20 years if you are under 30) What do you think caused the most controversy excitement dismay etc. It will make you think.

IMO,

1. Mullaghmore Bomb 1979

2. Sligo Rovers first FA Cup win 1983

3. Threatened closure of Cancer services 2008.

What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

1. Live Aid - same answer for 90% under 25's I would imagine, regardless of location
    2. 1975 Connacht Championship Win
    3. Westlife

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Jabby wrote: »
    Just wondering what your top three Sligo news stories in the last 40 years are? (the last 20 years if you are under 30) What do you think caused the most controversy excitement dismay etc. It will make you think.

IMO,

1. Mullaghmore Bomb 1979

2. Sligo Rovers first FA Cup win 1983

3. Threatened closure of Cancer services 2008.

What do you think?
    I'd go with the first two but the 3rd for me would have been the shooting at Sligo General Hospital in the 80's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Jabby

I had forgotten about the Sligo General shooting.

Culchie wrote: »
    1. Live Aid - same answer for 90% under 25's I would imagine, regardless of location
    2. 1975 Connacht Championship Win
    3. Westlife

I think I should have phrased the question better.

Let's say if you were the editor of the Sligo Champion or Weekender etc and were due to retire soon, what three headlines in your 40 year career would have helped to sell the most newspapers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gino85

I think I should have phrased the question better.

Let's say if you were the editor of the Sligo Champion or Weekender etc and were due to retire soon, what three headlines in your 40 year career would have helped to sell the most newspapers?

any murders in the town will sell alot of papers

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

Gillie wrote: »
    I'd go with the first two but the 3rd for me would have been the shooting at Sligo General Hospital in the 80's

The shooting in Sligo General.
    The dissapearance and subsequent discovery of death through murder of the little girl- Bernadette Connolly in 1970.
    The killing of Mountbatton in Mullaghmore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Forgot about Mellisa Mahon also actually!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

I see you all choose the cheery news then!!

Enlighten us so with some controversial ''cheery'' headlines.
    I bet you can't.

uhmm.....

us moving to Ireland in 2005 or was that not in the news???

• Advertisement

uhmm.....

us moving to Ireland in 2005 or was that not in the news???

Amazing news alright. I'm sorry. I can't say I remember that. I must have been away that week.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

The inner relief road decision making process hogged the headlines for quite a while if I remember right

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Wester

GG66 wrote: »
    The inner relief road decision making process hogged the headlines for quite a while if I remember right

Was just thinking that myself; quite a while being an understatement though. The SNIA closure/Seehan opening/Seehan closure received quite a lot of coverage too but the shootings at the hospital really stick out in my mind. Was only 4 when Mountbatten was killed so my memory of that is vague.

Enlighten us so with some controversial ''cheery'' headlines.
    I bet you can't.

there are a few brilliant ones in the boyracer thread, though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

The drive-by shooting in 2005 has to be up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭blackiebest

"Jimmy 'The Smell' McMorrow walks into Sligo Garda Station and says he wants to 'Clear the air'"

The best, ever, anywhere for all time

Advertisement