Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland's Italia 90 squad

• 02-02-2009 1:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭

I know theres another thread for premiership teams but i've often wondered what happened some of those guys...

Anyone know? I'll start with some of the ones I know

Packie Bonner - On TV3
    Chris Morris ?
    Steve Staunton -Eh "between jobs."
    Mick McCarthy - Wolves
    Kevin Moran ?
    Ronnie Whelan - TV
    Paul McGrath - is he in Waterford these days?
    Ray Houghton - TV
    John Aldridge - Liverpool radio
    Tony Cascarino ?
    Kevin Sheedy - Everton coach
    David O'Leary - ?
    Andy Townsend - ?
    Chris Hughton ?
    Bernie Slaven ?
    John Sheridan - Oldham manager
    Niall Quinn - Sunderland chairman
    Frank Stapleton ?
    David Kelly ?
    John Byrne ?
    Alan McLoughlin ?
    Gerry Peyton ?
    Tony Galvin ?

Anyone able to shed light on the rest?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Cascarino is on SSN a good bit and afaik Townsend still works with ITV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭YDMHSSB

frank is on today fm and sky sports no???
    cas does some writing for papers and does a stint on today fm amongest others im sure. the odd cameo on tv.

hughton - coach at spurs last time i checked, though aint he at newcastle now with kinnear? hes defo there somewhere anyway and yes infact, he was caretaker of newcastle for a week or 2.

o leary is living off the millions in compo he got off leeds and villa.

townsend is itv full time.

in general, this team have done well for themselves, more so than any team i know.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Bryan Habana

John Aldridge also has a weekly column in the Sunday World.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

cascarino is a pro poker player I think, could be wrong

pwd wrote: »
    cascarino is a pro poker player I think, could be wrong

cas in gamling shocker:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Andy Townsend - ITV Analysis.
    Chris Hughton - Newcastle Assistant manager.
    Frank Stapleton - TV3 pundit.
    Steve Staunton is coach at Leeds isnt he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭craiginireland

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Andy Townsend - ITV Analysis.
    Chris Hughton - Newcastle Assistant manager.
    Frank Stapleton - TV3 pundit.
    Steve Staunton is coach at Leeds isnt he?

Poor old Stan got sacked with McAllister a few weeks ago

Poor old Stan got sacked with McAllister a few weeks ago

i think he resigned. he may have been in the running for the job of manager, but also could only have been press talk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Paul McGrath was Waterford Utd Director of Football, but he resigned at least 2/3 years ago at this stage. Don't know what he's doing now.

• Advertisement

YDMHSSB wrote: »
    i think he resigned. he may have been in the running for the job of manager, but also could only have been press talk.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/football_league/article5384055.ece whoops he did leave (wasn't sacked). Amazed he took the hint! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Ah Italia '90. What a smashin' time!!! I was 9 the day the tournament started and I remember all of Irelands group games as though it was yesterday. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

Packie Bonner - On TV3
    Chris Morris - Runs a family pie business
    Steve Staunton -Eh "between jobs."
    Mick McCarthy - Wolves
    Kevin Moran ? Sports Agent
    Ronnie Whelan - TV
    Paul McGrath - lives in wexford does a little on radio still
    Ray Houghton - TV
    John Aldridge - Liverpool radio
    Tony Cascarino Columnist and poker player
    Kevin Sheedy - Everton coach
    David O'Leary - Still looking
    Andy Townsend - ITV pundit
    Chris Hughton - Assistant at Newcastle
    Bernie Slaven ? Who?
    John Sheridan - Oldham manager
    Niall Quinn - Sunderland chairman
    Frank Stapleton Heard him doing french league on setanta this week
    David Kelly Was assistant coach at some championship team last I heard
    John Byrne ?
    Alan McLoughlin ?
    Gerry Peyton ?
    Tony Galvin ?

Tomthepost wrote: »
    Chris Morris - Runs a family pie business

really??

Bernie Slaven ? Who?
    He got drafted in last minute to replace someone who's name has totally dissapeared from my memory

I saw the Italia 90 revisited program on TV before christmas. The DVD seems to be sold out everywhere now tho :(

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭tetsujin1979

I know Bernie Slaven was commentating on radio in Middlesbrough for a while, and on Middlesbrough's TV station. Not sure if he still is now though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

'Butragueño, hungary, we scared the dutch in germany, charlie haughey liam toohey , opel on our shirts...'

great times :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

PBernie Slaven ? Who?

Seriously?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

According to Slaven's wikipedia page, he was on Middlesbrough radio up until 2007. Doesn't say what he's up to now.

Still, he's got a few amusing entries on there:

"In 1999, Slaven bared his backside in Binns department store window in Middlesbrough following a bet on Century FM. He bet that if Middlesbrough beat Manchester United at Old Trafford, he would perform the dare. Middlesbrough beat Manchester United 3-2, so Slaven had to go ahead with the dare, with the score painted on his cheeks."

"In 2002, still a popular figure in the area, Slaven ran for the position of Mayor of Middlesbrough. Slaven admitted knowing little of politics and his campaign was ultimately unsuccessful."

"Slaven's former Republic of Ireland international teammate Tony Cascarino claimed in his autobiography that, Slaven would telephone his dog every night when away from home with the squad: "... Bernie would be howling like Lassie into the phone 'Woof, woof, aru, aru, woof!' He'd be kissing the receiver and lavishing affection - 'Hello, lovey dovey' - on a dog!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

The nation holds its breath ..............

Exit wrote: »
    According to Slaven's wikipedia page, he was on Middlesbrough radio up until 2007. Doesn't say what he's up to now.

Still, he's got a few amusing entries on there:

"In 1999, Slaven bared his backside in Binns department store window in Middlesbrough following a bet on Century FM. He bet that if Middlesbrough beat Manchester United at Old Trafford, he would perform the dare. Middlesbrough beat Manchester United 3-2, so Slaven had to go ahead with the dare, with the score painted on his cheeks."

"In 2002, still a popular figure in the area, Slaven ran for the position of Mayor of Middlesbrough. Slaven admitted knowing little of politics and his campaign was ultimately unsuccessful."

"Slaven's former Republic of Ireland international teammate Tony Cascarino claimed in his autobiography that, Slaven would telephone his dog every night when away from home with the squad: "... Bernie would be howling like Lassie into the phone 'Woof, woof, aru, aru, woof!' He'd be kissing the receiver and lavishing affection - 'Hello, lovey dovey' - on a dog!"

Class!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

Think Tony Galvin is teaching Russian in an northern English university.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Exit wrote: »
    Slaven would telephone his dog every night when away from home with the squad: "... Bernie would be howling like Lassie into the phone 'Woof, woof, aru, aru, woof!' He'd be kissing the receiver and lavishing affection - 'Hello, lovey dovey' - on a dog!"

I've seen a pix of Mrs. Slaven and even if she wasn't the best looking there was no need to be ringing her up and harrassing her like that.

(Gerry Peyton is goalkeeping coach at Arsenal btw).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Legends...wish I was old enough to remember that.

So was the quarter final as close as everyone said. Apparently, we had them 'on the rack'.

Legends...wish I was old enough to remember that.

So was the quarter final as close as everyone said. Apparently, we had them 'on the rack'.

Nah that's bullshít. We had 1 shot on target in 90mins and Italy had (at least) 1 goal disallowed. Would like to see the game again sometime but I'm definite we had no cause for complaint at full-time.

TBH we were even 2nd best in the game against Romania in the last 16 come to think of it.

this team overall have done very well for themselves aint they? most have pretty decent jobs involved in football. they were lucky that their careers were ending as things were taking off, off the pitch.

some of them are terrible though and lack anything resembling charisma. packie, ronney whelan and stan are 3 that should not be in the public eye. that day that stan did the sky sports news reports on a game was comedy.

some top lads though like cas, big niall and aldo are good to listen to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I have a few videos of that irish team / jack charlton era + scrapbook and magazines .Might sell them on ebay .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

well for all you too young to remember that Italy game

It was pretty much like Man United Vs Everton the other day,..:p

Quinner had Ireland only chance as far as I remember a header from a cross by mcgrath maybe, straight at Zenga.

Good times tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Pigman II wrote: »
    Nah that's bullshít. We had 1 shot on target in 90mins and Italy had (at least) 1 goal disallowed. Would like to see the game again sometime but I'm definite we had no cause for complaint at full-time.

TBH we were even 2nd best in the game against Romania in the last 16 come to think of it.

we didnt even win a game at that world cup!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Aldridge has a bar in liverpool "Aldo's bar"

Houghton and Townsend also are regulars on Talksport radio.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭rovingrover

Bernie Slaven ? Who?
    He got drafted in last minute to replace someone who's name has totally dissapeared from my memory

:(

Bernie was always in the squad. Alan McLoughlin got drafted in at the last minute to replace Gary Waddock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Never knew he was in the squad

Bernie was always in the squad. Alan McLoughlin got drafted in at the last minute to replace Gary Waddock.

It was an unusual replacement. It wasn't a case of Waddock getting injured before the deadline it was a more a case of Jack saying "eh Gary hop off the plane there will ya, we've found a better ringer than you so I'm giving him your place in the squad."

It was an unusual replacement. It wasn't a case of Waddock getting injured before the deadline it was a more a case of Jack saying "eh Gary hop off the plane there will ya, we've found a better ringer than you so I'm giving him your place in the squad."

McLoughlin did well for Swindon in the playoff and they earned promotion. He offered an attacking midfield option. It was tough on Waddock but the right choice. McLoughlin came off the bench v England.

If anything Frank Stapleton could have been excluded as he was past his best but included on sentiment. Fantastic player in his day.

McLoughlin did well for Swindon in the playoff and they earned promotion. He offered an attacking midfield option. It was tough on Waddock but the right choice. McLoughlin came off the bench v England.

If you watch our goal v England McLoughlin is in an offside position when Sheedy shot. McLoughlin wasn't interfering but in those days it didn't matter if you were interfering with play or not so technically it wasn't a goal. Lucky the ref missed it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

In fairness, I think Mcgrath slipped to let in Schillachi for the goal IIRC(?), so we might have hung on for 0-0/ET/penos a-la Romania which was surely the plan. Jack's tactics probably would have been found out at a later stage though, I guess.

• Advertisement

stovelid wrote: »
    In fairness, I think Mcgrath slipped to let in Schillachi for the goal IIRC, so we might have hung on for 0-0/ET/penos a-la Romania whihc was surely the plan. Jack's tactics probably would have been found out at a later stage though, I guess.

It's fuzzy but I seem to remember Bonner being at fault for the goal. Donadoni had a long range shot on us and instead of playing safe and knocking it away for a corner bonner parried it straight into the path of scillachi.

I saw a doc about the Irish WC experience and the players themselves had no sense of inferiority. They were determined they were there to win the tournament and never went into games trying to sneak a draw. If it seemed that way it was simply because we weren't very enjoyable to watch or potent in attack.

It's fuzzy but I seem to remember Bonner being at fault for the goal. Donadoni had a long range shot on us and instead of playing safe and knocking it away for a corner bonner parried it straight into the path of scillachi.

Just checked it. You're right man, Bonner parried it out to Schillachi and Mcgrath did actually make a last ditch lunge, ending up on the deck, but wasn't close enough to intercept.

My memory is fuzzy too :)

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=ooZkVEXjWaI

I agree the players were certainly good enough not to play for a draw, but there is no doubt that Jack himself wanted the team to defend and press, while trying to punt it up-field on the break. The results spoke for themselves, in fairness.

I don't think anybody really minded about the long-ball that summer, except The Dunph. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Des wrote: »

Is Bonner's little jump (after saving Timofti's peno) the gayest moment in World Cup history or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Bernie Slaven is on Century Radio in the North East of England,

The show is called "the legends" and he does it with two other lads, cant think of their names right now. It is mainly aimed at Sunderland, Newcastle and Boro fans.

He represents Boro, its quite a good show, phone in show and they have a good laugh together,

i listen to it on the way to any Suderland home game i go to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

deise59 wrote: »
    Paul McGrath was Waterford Utd Director of Football, but he resigned at least 2/3 years ago at this stage. Don't know what he's doing now.
    He's probably in the pub...:D

He lives in Wexford now...

stovelid wrote: »
    Is Bonner's little jump (after saving Timofti's peno) the gayest moment in World Cup history or what?

Yes, but admit it - you jumped too!

Yes, but admit it - you jumped too!

Swayed drunkenly, I think. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭faulk28

David Kelly Was assistant coach at some championship team last I heard
    Forest, I believe.

If you watch our goal v England McLoughlin is in an offside position when Sheedy shot. McLoughlin wasn't interfering but in those days it didn't matter if you were interfering with play or not so technically it wasn't a goal. Lucky the ref missed it. :)

In those days if you weren't interfering with play you weren't offside.

really? that's very random

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭damienom

Tony Galvin is working in the field of mental health with one of the health boards in London.

Slavin presents The Legends Phone In on Century Radio with Mickey Horswill and Malcolm McDonald.

Alan McLoughlin is co-commentator for Portsmouth's matches on the local station down there.

Gerry Peyton is first team goalkeeping coach at Arsenal

Advertisement