Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Longest interception in Superbowl history

• 02-02-2009 2:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

Harrison's moment of magic ends the first half,100metres flat.awesome

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭rizzla

Didn't the commentators just say Superbowl history.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Adelante

Good point I was sure they said NFL if its Supebowl even more special!!
    It was some play, I don't know how they did'nt call it first time, his knee was no where near the ground

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Adelante wrote: »
    Good point I was sure they said NFL if its Supebowl even more special!!
    It was some play, I don't know how they did'nt call it first time, his knee was no where near the ground
    wouldnt it be more special if it was nfl history! think i remember seeing a longer one (thats waht she said)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

it was superbowl history - think there was a 109yd interception return last season

"It will go down as one of the most amazing plays in Super Bowl history. With the Cardinals first and goal at the two-yard line with no time outs and 18 seconds left in the half, Kurt Warner dropped back to throw to Anquan Boldin in the end zone. The pass, however, was intercepted by James Harrison, who took the ball back 100 yards for a touchdown with no time remaining. The play, was reviewed but upheld, giving the Steelers a 17-7 halftime lead in Super Bowl XLII. Harrison's touchdown is the longest play in Super Bowl history. -CNN"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Superbowl History

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Surely 100 is the maximum that they could claim as once your in the end zones there are no markers? Of course they can guestimate the exact distance run, but anywhere in that area should count as the same point for scoring purposes.

I think the confusion is in the answers, 109.36 yd ~100metres:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 GARRETT.K

100 yards from end line to end line.but if pass is picked in the end zone you can add a couple more yard on

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

But you don't get extra passing yards added on just becasue the guy happened to be stood at the back of the end zone on catching the ball, so why would you get bonus yards on where you start running from? Or do you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,688 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I had to correct my own post - it was Superbowl history according to the NBC scoreboard, not NFL History.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

robinph wrote: »
    Surely 100 is the maximum that they could claim as once your in the end zones there are no markers? Of course they can guestimate the exact distance run, but anywhere in that area should count as the same point for scoring purposes.
    no it can be more than 100yards because you can intercept it in the end zone!!! so what if there is no markers!!!! i dont think its the hardest thing to calculate!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,398 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I know both Nathan Vasher and Devin Hester have brought back 108 yd INT returns.

I think Antonio Cromartie has the record with 109 yds.

adamski8 wrote: »
    no it can be more than 100yards because you can intercept it in the end zone!!! so what if there is no markers!!!! i dont think its the hardest thing to calculate!
    Maybe they do actually give them the measurements over the 100, my point is that once you are past that end line it's irrelevant so numbers higher than 100 should just not count. It is either past the line or it's not, how far past the line does not matter.

No telling how these foreigners count such things though? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Maybe they do actually give them the measurements over the 100, my point is that once you are past that end line it's irrelevant so numbers higher than 100 should just not count. It is either past the line or it's not, how far past the line does not matter.

No telling how these foreigners count such things though? :confused:

Offensive stats no you dont get extra yards for crossing the Goal line because when you do its a TD. So you cant tag yards on to it. When a WR catches in the Endzone the mintue his feet touch the Ground and he has full control its a TD so its irrelevant where he touches down for yards.

BUT when an Int or kick return is returned from inside the endzone a marker is thrown by the ref as to where the ball was taken from and then these count as yardage. Because when the Defensive player or Returner touches the ball its now live and not a score so the yards count.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,316 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

But you don't get extra passing yards added on just becasue the guy happened to be stood at the back of the end zone on catching the ball, so why would you get bonus yards on where you start running from? Or do you?

Thats because offensive yards count from the line of scrimmage, where as defensive yards count from the spot where the defence gained control of the ball (where a fumble was picked up, or in this case wheere the ball was interecepted)

If a 60 yard pass is intercepted and advanced 20 yards, it'd look stupid to say the interception return was minus 40 yards.

I think Ed Reed has a couple of 108 returns and Cromartie has 109.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    I know both Nathan Vasher and Devin Hester have brought back 108 yd INT returns.

I think also Ed Reed has matched matched Cromartie's return.

Orginally the longest play in NFL history was Devin Hester's missed FG return for a touchdown which is 109yrds also. (I think)

Also i think Ellis Hobbs held the record for a while with a 108yrd kickoff return against the Jets at the start of last season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,398 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Hazys wrote: »
    I think also Ed Reed has matched matched Cromartie's return.

Forgot about that one.
    Hazys wrote: »
    Orginally the longest play in NFL history was Devin Hester's missed FG return for a touchdown which is 109yrds also. (I think)

Nah it was 108 officially, although it looked 109. Nathan Vashers happened in 2005, Hesters in 2006. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭delanec8

Cromarties was the only 109yd. The rest mentioned were all 108yd. Cromarties was from a missed FG against the vikings, in the same game that AP broke the single game rushing record. A pretty wild game to say the least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭kev_s88

Oatesy23 wrote: »

Ed Reed has the interception record with a 108yd return during this season....he beat his own record of 106yds in the process... :D

Cromartie does have the record for longest play ever when he returned a missed FG for 109 yds....Devin Hester equalled the record in 2006 with a 108 yd return of a missed FG but Cromartis went on to beat that in the 07/08 season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

once the offense cross the 'plane' in contol of the ball its a td whether is by inches or yards... so it only counts upto the 'plane'...

the endzone is still an active area of play so when returning an interception u can get tackled inside it so every yard is counted on... and last year was the 108yrd return by reed for the ravens cntt remember agsint who but was a classic one...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

There's a whole lot of ambiguity and misplaced facts on this thread. this should clear things up:

Longest Interception Return, 107 (Changed from 108 after further review), Ed Reed, Baltimore Ravens vs. Philadelphia Eagles, Nov 23, 2008
    Longest Play, 109⅔ yards, Antonio Cromartie, missed field goal return, San Diego Chargers vs. Minnesota Vikings, Nov. 4, 2007
    Longest Kickoff Return, 108, Ellis Hobbs, New England Patriots vs. New York Jets, September 9, 2007
    Longest Punt Return, 103, Robert Bailey, Los Angeles Rams vs. New Orleans Saints, Oct 23, 1994
    Longest Fumble Return, 104, Jack Tatum, Oakland Raiders vs. Green Bay Packers, Sept. 24, 1972; Aeneas Williams, Arizona Cardinals vs. Washington Redskins, Nov. 5, 2000
    Longest Run From Scrimmage, 99, Tony Dorsett, Dallas Cowboys vs. Minnesota Vikings, Jan. 3, 1983
    Longest Pass Reception, 99, which has been done 11 Times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Edited title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

It was some run/return/interception/play/turnaround........I remember watching it at the time, the camera panned down from above and showed that the Cardinals had less than 2 yards to get a touchdown, and I was thinking 'how hard those final 2 yards could be !', & then BAM, like a bat outa hell.......100yards of running mayhem and its a touchdown at the other end !!!!! :eek: Brill :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 GARRETT.K

Its very simple.He caught the ball and ran 108 yards!! Sorry if that sounds smart!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Its very simple
    Its NOT
    He caught the ball
    He did
    ran 108 yards!!
    He didn't

I'm not being smart either !;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,316 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

GARRETT.K wrote: »
    Its very simple.He caught the ball and ran 108 yards!! Sorry if that sounds smart!

Smart people get their facts right...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭damoz

bruschi wrote: »
    There's a whole lot of ambiguity and misplaced facts on this thread. this should clear things up:

Longest Kickoff Return, 108, Ellis Hobbs, New England Patriots vs. New York Jets, September 9, 2007
    [

Sweet... i was actually at that game, just got back to my seat for that kick off too.

Advertisement