Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating

Options
  • 02-02-2009 2:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭

Hi, Im in 6th year now and would like to do medicine, I havent bothered to apply because I know this year I havent a hope in hell of getting it and I know its too late now with the HPAT and closing date for restricted courses on the CAO. However, I may decide to repeat next year.

So how much on average does it cost to repeat and do students usually do much better? I mean Ive heard of people getting 570 and wanting to repeat, which makes me feel idiotic, because if I got anything like that Id be delighted! So where in the North Wicklow/South Dublin Area is there to repeat, how much does it cost and how beneficial do ye think it is?

Many Thanks in advance!:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭anladmór

Marian College.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Ardscoil Ris

Jammyc wrote: »
    Hi, Im in 6th year now and would like to do medicine, I havent bothered to apply because I know this year I havent a hope in hell of getting it and I know its too late now with the HPAT and closing date for restricted courses on the CAO. However, I may decide to repeat next year.

So how much on average does it cost to repeat and do students usually do much better? I mean Ive heard of people getting 570 and wanting to repeat, which makes me feel idiotic, because if I got anything like that Id be delighted! So where in the North Wicklow/South Dublin Area is there to repeat, how much does it cost and how beneficial do ye think it is?

Many Thanks in advance!:D

I repeated the Leaving. Has it's advantages and disadvantages. Firstly whether you go up or down in points depends on the person although I saw a massive jump my self, but that was mainly because I did nothing the first year. If your repeating for medicine then I would really recommend private school. I think people who go back repeating for medicine in a public school usually don't make it.

Private school can cost a lot. Around 6k for the year in fees minus the living costs if you have to move to a different county to attend.

No matter what route you take your fee to do the leaving is nearly 300 euro so you have to pay that.

My friend repeated the Leaving twice and failed to get medicine so that's why I recommend you go to a good private school. She got 560 first year, 565 the second and 530 the third. So be prepared for a hard year.

Your right about one thing, it is easier. You don't have to do Maths, English, Irish or any other language unless you want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Your right about one thing, it is easier. You don't have to do Maths, English, Irish or any other language unless you want to.
    Unless you're repeating for medicine, in which case, you do. ;p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

I'm repeating for medicine.
    In terms of fees, well, it depends where you go. I'm just in a public school so there aren't exactly any.. except the fees from the Department. Which I think, as was said,are about €300 or there abouts. And "voluntary contributions", yeah.

Beneficial? Hopefully. I got 550 last year and I'm pretty confident I can bring that up. You know exactly where you went wrong last time around (For me, that was Maths Paper 2... I slipped from an A1 level RIGHT down. This year I won't be such a nervous, unprepared fool.)

SOME students do much better. I know of people who repeated and did worse or got the same points. I also know people who repeated and got almost double their original points. It depends on how much work you put in yourself.
    If your repeating for medicine then I would really recommend private school. I think people who go back repeating for medicine in a public school usually don't make it.

For some reason, this doesn't give me an awful lot of hope.

Yeah though, I strongly disagree with you. It depends what you put into your repeat year yourself. You don't have to have a private education to do well in exams! I've never had any pressure put on me to study, doesn't mean I don't do it. My parents/ teachers/ etc don't care if I get 10 points this year, but I do, so I study.
    I don't have bundles of excellently prepared revision notes, but I have the textbooks, which is more than enough. I don't get any grinds. I don't utilise excellent facilities on a daily basis, etc etc.

And if it's medicine you're going for, well, you're going to have to learn how to do your own study tbh.

Advertisement