Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Britian Aplogies

Options
  • 02-02-2009 2:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭

Just curious but has Great Britian ever apologised for anything that happened in Ireland? Have we ever recieved a formal apology for the invasion our country? Apoligies for how prisoners were treated (not just the hunger strikers but think 1916 when they were executed), for the shooting on bloody sunday, or even though britian has reformed its approach to the handling of NI and its people have they still not admitted to wrong doing in the first place and expressed sorrow? And if not what is there point of view.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭anladmór

Tony Blair did I think, but tbh what will it achieve? I think the crown should though to all nations mistreated if they haven't already?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

We'd probably have to apologise for a few things too though.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

K-9 wrote: »
    thats true for sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

+1

Well, strictly speaking "some of us" wouldn't, because a lot of the more despicable actions were taken without our consent or agreement and horrified and disgusted a lot of the Irish people.....

But if the OP is suggesting that somehow Britain as a whole, or their administraton, needs to apologise, then yes, Ireland as a whole should apologise too.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

Not that I'm aware of, but why should they?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Patrickisperfec

Soldie wrote: »
    Not that I'm aware of, but why should they?
    are you seirous??
    Maybe for letting one million people die and for forcing anther one million to immigrate.

Or maybe for forcing millions off their land and then making them pay to rent it.

Or maybe for forcing everybaody to speak english.

Or maybe just for being a**holes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭IHATELIBERTAS

are you seirous??
    Maybe for letting one million people die and for forcing anther one million to immigrate.

Or maybe for forcing millions off their land and then making them pay to rent it.

dont mind that poster mate, people like them only get you down, there the kind of people that are pro-uk at all times and have no concern about the human and cultural genocide which took place in ireland at the hands of the crown. tend to support the BNP as well as being extremely xenephobic.

are you seirous??

Or maybe you should expand your knowledge beyond a de Valera style history syllabus.

The reality is that modern-day Brits are guilty of none of the above, so why should they apologise? It'd be a bit arbitrary, to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

What about the Irish for taking their jobs and stealing their women?

The odd bomb too.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

dont mind that poster mate, people like them only get you down, there the kind of people that are pro-uk at all times and have no concern about the human and cultural genocide which took place in ireland at the hands of the crown. tend to support the BNP as well as being extremely xenephobic.

So I'm based in Ireland but I'm a xenophobic BNP-supporter - a minority party, but in spite of that I'm 'pro-UK at all times'. Wait, what?

• Advertisement

Or maybe you should expand your knowledge beyond a de Valera style history syllabus.

The reality is that modern-day Brits are guilty of none of the above, so why should they apologise? It'd be a bit arbitrary, to say the least.

I'm not talking about "modern-day Brits", of course the same people who were knocking about during the famine aren't still alive.

What about the Irish for taking their jobs and stealing their women?

The odd bomb too.

Not to mention Shane MacGowan. :pac:
    I'm not talking about "modern-day Brits", of course the same people who were knocking about during the famine aren't still alive.

Precisely, so what good is an apology from people who had no responsbility whatsoever for what took place?

Not to mention Shane MacGowan. :pac:

Precisely, so what good is an apology from people who had no responsbility whatsoever for what took place?

Shane MacGowan was born in england to two Irish parents who were forced to move there in search of a job because there were none in Ireland because of British exploitation in the past

so is germany as a country suddenly not responsible for killing millions of jews because Hitler is dead?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

Someone should apologise for this thread... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Well, it's had a page to go somewhere, and it hasn't. Time, gentlemen, please.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement