Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

B&Q product 4.99 euro in south / 1.98 ST in Norn Iron! How can this be?

Options
  • 02-02-2009 2:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭

B&Q Onion Sets are 4.99 euros in the south, but there are 1.98 in the north.

I saw a special offer for something in the north for 0.75 sterling.
    Im tired of seeing everything being x.99 in the south.

As I look at my B&Q receipt I see 1.48 and a few prices ending in x.98
    Looks like x.98 is the new x.99 in the north.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Because people will pay it.

Google capitalism for more information.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Maybe the shops have wayyyyy too many 2p coins and need to get rid of them?
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭absurdtrivia

B&Q are always a rip off on the little things. You should just see what they charge for a light bulb, often two or three times what homebase or atlantic charge.

But, they can be cheaper on the big things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭hedgeh0g

B&Q are always a rip off on the little things. You should just see what they charge for a light bulb, often two or three times what homebase or atlantic charge.

But, they can be cheaper on the big things.

They seem to be better than Woodies in the south.
    Went to B&Q off the Belgard Rd and thought it was not bad. But NI is way beter.

jhegarty wrote: »
    Because people will pay it.

Google capitalism for more information.

Same product is double++ from north to south at same store.
    Madness. Sure Paddy will pay anything

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

We as a people need to start challenging unusually high prices for everything.
    They do it in other countries. Our culture encourages us to avoid meaness and not be "stingy" and be "a sound man" and pay up....often to our cost.
    Our near and dear neighbours are noted for the consciousness of price.
    Napoleon once categorised the English as a "nation of shopkeepers" who "knew the price of everything but the value of nothing" referring perhaps to the need sometimes to pay a premium for quality etc.
    Napoleon is history and failed. The English are still with us shopkeepers and all.
    The Germans have a pure beer law which makes all beers, cheap or dear, equally good so their prices have to realistic. Quality could be regulated on other goods to ensure cheapness does not endanger people. Various drug laws and food hygiene laws do this already.
    A range of goods is usually available in a range of prices to cater to all tastes and pockets. The trouble starts when distributors and retailers charge high prices in collusion and people feel powerless to complain.
    With borrowing gone and wages down people will have to sharpen their bargaining skills. Look out for interesting altercations on the high street......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

hedgeh0g wrote: »
    B&Q Onion Sets are 4.99 euros in the south, but there are 1.98 in the north.

My guess is either the size in the south is much bigger or that there is a simple error or they are on offer in the north.

From experience with B&Q both here & in the UK, new products seem to be priced at about 1.25 exchange and I've never seen anything at the exchange rate shown here.

Their current exchange would suggest that it is on offer at half price up north but not down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,074 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Doolox

I think you're mixing up your quotations. Napoloen is reputed to have called the English a nation of shopkeepers but he probably didn't originate the phrase. Oscar Wilde said a cynic is someone who knows the price of everything but the value of nothing.

Was very surprized to see Woodies selling Onion Sets for below 2 euros. Usually Woodies are a rip, this is a rare exception.

Advertisement