Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading a XPS 420

Options
  • 02-02-2009 4:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭

I'm currently upgrading a Dell XPS 420. Im unsure of whats avalible due to the XPS 420 case and the fact that its a BTX design.

Current specs.
    XPS 420 Viiv Intel® Processor Q6600 Quad Core™ 2.40GHz, 1066Mhz FSB,
    4096MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [4x1024]
    ATI Radeon 2600 XT
    1TB Harddrive (Raid 0)
    Genuine Windows 7 64bit

I would like to upgrade the PSU to a 700W, graphics card to a Radeon 4850/4870x2 and upgrade the ram to 8gig.

Does anyone know if these upgrades are possible? Or how I would make them possible?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I doubt you'll need a PSU upgrade. 8Gb ram is possible, but totally unnecessary for games, if that's your intended use. To be honest, as a gaming machine, all that needs is a better card - nothing else. Let us know your intended uses, and we can match an upgrade to suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Agreed...games right now are not using more than 3gb in vista (includes OS use).
    Get your video card upgraded.
    What's your monitor resolution?
    If less than 1680x1050 or lower the single 4870 will do.
    If higher then maybe the X2 or GTX295. But you'll need a new PSU if going for these 2.
    PSU are all ATX so any will work fine.
    Your board also supports upto the 9-series of 775 intel cpus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

The PSU in the 420 is very strange shaped, it is more of a square shape, so just be careful on that and measure the PSU already in it.

dell-xps-420-2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Tony Broke

I have the same pc, Ati HD4870 1GB works great in mine.Less than 200e now on pixmania.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Elem

Sorry guys, I went ahead with an order without confirmation.

Samsung SyncMaster T220 22" wide TFT Screen (2ms) (1)
    SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 4870 X2 - 2 GB GDDR5 - PCI-Express 2.0 (1)
    OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W PC Power Unit (1)
    RAZER Lachesis Banshee Mouse - blue (1)
    RAZER Goliathus Alpha Control Mousepad (1)

Did I do good? It was mainly for games because i hardly do anywork :p
    Please tell me I have ordered the correct gear. Will i have a problem with the card overheating?

I had a few drinks last night and went onto pixmania :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

That card would probably be wasted on a 22". The 4870 1GB would have been fine.

I couldnt find a larger monitor with a lower response time. Will a game not use the second part of the card?

Another problem, when im installing the PSU and graphics card, is there anything I should pay close attention too. Sorry, I'm a newbie at this type of thing.

Do i use rubber gloves to avoid static?
    Will i mix up the cabling on the PSU?
    Should i remove the old drivers before i install new parts?
    Will windows remove the drivers correctly? Since i will be replacing a ATI driver an ATI driver.

Any help will be much helpful, thanks guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

No, it's that the card is too powerful and designed for monitors much larger then that one. For example, the max. resolution is 1680x1050. The 4870X2 would be designed for gaming at 2560x1600.

I have a 1920x1200 monitor, and I'm using a single 4870 1GB (cost: around 200 euro). I can run any game at maximum settings without any effort really...if its mainly for games too you don't need a response time that low really. Mine is something like 8ms, never had any problems and all I do on my build is play games as well.

I probably would have gone for something like a 550w Corsair PSU as well over that OCZ. Not a huge deal though the OCZ is still pretty good. But overall I would say it was a pretty selection you made. Any way you can cancel that order and put it through again? The graphics card part of it isn't even about choice, it's a total waste and won't be utilized....

I can't cancel no :( Just tryed.. They've already sent everything apart from the PSU because they are out of stock. I suppose i can order a new monitor on top of that and have dual running, any suggestions? Thanks Terror, by the way, can you answer my following questions?

Do i use rubber gloves to avoid static?
    What happens if the PSU to to large for the BTX case?

Advertisement