Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget laptop

• 02-02-2009 9:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭

I need to replace my POS tesco's finest laptop. Anyone know where I can get a decent enough spec on a very tight budget? Can't go over 500. I don't expect fantastic graphics card or anything like that. A net book is no good to me in this case as I work on my photos on the laptop, so the screen needs to be larger. Online or bricks and mortar, doesn't matter to me. As long as I'm close enough to the shop in question, unlikely!! PC World rarely does bargains :)

Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

Quackles wrote: »
    I need to replace my POS tesco's finest laptop. Anyone know where I can get a decent enough spec on a very tight budget? Can't go over 500. I don't expect fantastic graphics card or anything like that. A net book is no good to me in this case as I work on my photos on the laptop, so the screen needs to be larger. Online or bricks and mortar, doesn't matter to me. As long as I'm close enough to the shop in question, unlikely!! PC World rarely does bargains :)

Thanks!!
    first post here!!! saw ones in supervalue in tuam on
    fri last ,think they were going for less than €400 :D
    or
    http://www.cheaplaptops.ie/?gclid=CNzYofqvvZgCFQtWtAoduSX8ag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Work on photos? I use Photoshop CS2 without too many problems on my netbook - colour rendition is good (though screen real estate can be a problem at times).

The only time it really slowed down was when I stitched 11 photographs together to make a 90 megabyte image file. Otherwise I prefer a netbook - great battery life and you can carry it into the field (light weight) with you (including doing work in tethered mode).

And my eeepc cost me 300 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

PC World (LV) had a nice looking 17" Dual core Compaq for €499 the last time I was in about 10 days ago might be worth checking out.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

I wouldn't head down the supervalue route for fear it mirrors the tesco one, and that's not a good road to travel! I will check out that link, though, thank you!

I have an eeepc (albeit one of the older models with the smaller hard drive) and I find the screen too small, I need something bigger.

I'll also swallow my pride and take a look in pc world :)

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭philcsl

I picked up a Acer Aspire 5715Z as a refurb on www.dabs.ie for €300 incl delivery last week, they have plenty of different used stock (returned and repaired) which are sold with a year's waranty.

Basic enough spec but its cheap and cheerful so I don't have to use my work laptop around the house...

1,86 GHz Intel Pentium Dual Core-processor
    3GB RAM
    160 GB HD
    Windows Vista Home Basic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

philcsl wrote: »
    I picked up a Acer Aspire 5715Z as a refurb on www.dabs.ie for €300 incl delivery last week, they have plenty of different used stock (returned and repaired) which are sold with a year's waranty.

Basic enough spec but its cheap and cheerful so I don't have to use my work laptop around the house...

1,86 GHz Intel Pentium Dual Core-processor
    3GB RAM
    160 GB HD
    Windows Vista Home Basic

There's some nice laptops on there, thank you - the refurbs are a bit light on the technical information, though, how on earth do you know what you're buying??

Advertisement