Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No receipt/laser card

Options
  • 02-02-2009 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭

A couch we bought a few months ago from Ikea has already broken on us. We can't find the receipt for it, but I'm wondering if we provide laser card proof of the transaction is the seller in question obliged to recognise it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

TBH I'd say you won't even need a reciept. It's not as if you can buy the item in different outlet!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You don't necessarily need a receipt as proof of purchase when returning an item, it just makes everything a lot easier.

For an item such as a couch, which you couldn't really sneak out under your jacket, I'd say a laser card statement would be more than adequate.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Under the letter of the law, a laser receipt is not proof of purchase because it only proves you bought something from the shop, but not what exactly. Or so i have been told. :)

However, it'd be really strange for them not to dig out the receipt for you and sort you out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Was in Xtravision without a receipt the other day. The girl behind the counter said I could use Laser card for proof.

She also said if I gave her my details, she would search the log files in the till for a record and print a new copy of the receipt for me.

I imagine they can do this in most places.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

brilliant stuff, thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

olaola wrote: »
    TBH I'd say you won't even need a reciept. It's not as if you can buy the item in different outlet!

A receipt is used as proof of purchase, i.e., that you paid for it, not to prove what shop you bought it in, though that is a secondary reason. They are also used to prove when you bought it, as the item you have could be out of warranty.

According to the National Consumer Association, a credit/laser statement can be used as proof of purchase anyway.
    the corpo wrote: »
    brilliant stuff, thanks!

They should be able to trace the original sale on their computer, using your Laser card number, and re-print the original receipt, if they needed it.

Advertisement