Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage payment supplements

Options
  • 02-02-2009 11:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Hi ,
    does anyone know how long a person can collect mortgage payment supplements from the social welfare for after loosing your job?
    i have heard it is only 12 months from some people and then some others say longer but no one seems to be 100 percent sure?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭cooperla

I've heard (2nd hand - a friend of the wifes) of someone who recently lost their job and have been given the supplement for up to 12 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Martin72

Thanks , that seems to be the timeframe that people seem to be throwing about.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It might be longer - it may be that it just gets reviewed after the 12 months.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

the supplement isnt great.

My friend is getting €25.00 a week towards her mortgage of €100k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭dny123456

That's not very much. How do they calculate the amount do you know? Is it capped? Or a percentage of the repayment?
    Actually just did a search, came across this,

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Schemes/SupplementaryWelfareAllowance/Pages/MortgageInterstSupplement.aspx

I think it's saying the will pay all ensuring that your 'income' does not fall below a threshold (this level is the Supplementary Welfare Allowance minus €18). So potentially all, but it depends.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

dny123456 wrote: »
    That's not very much. How do they calculate the amount do you know? Is it capped? Or a percentage of the repayment?

havent got a clue tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

I'd like to know about this too....

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Martin72

i have now been told that it is up to a mximum of 3 years but am still not 100% sure. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

the supplement isnt great.

My friend is getting €25.00 a week towards her mortgage of €100k

As far as I know it's something to do with the interest payments only. They won't pay towards your house, they'll just help you out if you can't pay the interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

Ste.phen wrote: »
    As far as I know it's something to do with the interest payments only. They won't pay towards your house, they'll just help you out if you can't pay the interest.

But its the interest that the majority of most mortgage payments consist of until half way through the mortgage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

dlambirl wrote: »
    But its the interest that the majority of most mortgage payments consist of until half way through the mortgage.

Well then i've got no idea :)

Advertisement