Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sepultura - A-Lex > The Music Discussion

• 02-02-2009 11:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭

So, what do you think?

On first listen I was a little disappointed that they had dropped some of the more avant-garde ideas on Dante XXI, the French Horn and Cellos which worked so amazingly well, and gone for a more straightforward approach. It's probably the most riff intensive and just plain heavy release they've put out since Arise (without sounding like Arise and without desperately trying to rehash former glories like some others). As I've come to know it though I'm really starting to like it. So many great riffs, no messing, just heads down stuff. New drummer Jean isn't as flambouyant as Igor but it's an impressive debut nonetheless. He seems to have had a sizeable influence on the writing process too and Derrick's vocals are impeccable, low stuff, high stuff and even some real singing too. Andreas does some superb lead work, the kind of stuff he hasn't done in a long time. There are very few bands with a history as long as theirs who are putting out albums of this quality, as 2008 sadly illustrated.

I still prefer Dante XXI but I think this is another very strong release, a great Metal album.

> Note - Let's keep this as a talk about the music, if you're here to talk about former members of the band it's a very different issue and you can find plenty of threads elsewhere.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Still getting a feel for it but I'm really digging it. I like Jean a lot, you can sense there's someone different behind the kit but not in a bad way - I love the little drum solo in the middle of 'Sadistic Values'. There may not be some of the more experimental stuff that liked you've mentioned, but the cover of Ludwig Van is certainly a departure from the norm.

I think it's hard to compare to Dante while it is still in its infancy, but there isn't a doubt in my mind that it's a very strong outing. 'The Treatment' probably gets my nod for favourite song right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Moloko Mesto or We've Lost You! get my vote right now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,836 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Really great album, Sepultura is like a fine red wine...gets better with age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭Chaosangel

after a good listen I must say some very good riffs on this album,I like it,it will probly grow more on me but at the moment its settling in well. Andreas is really in top form with the solo's,back to the old ways,impressed by Derrick aswell,always liked his vocals anyway,great album,moloko mesto is a great tune

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Its a good album in 2009

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 stillbornalive

just listening to this right now on there myspace, been away from sepultura for a few years now but i have to say this is good, its progressive eg. as in not the same rehashed ****e that some other bands may put out. going to pick this up over the weekend its starting to grow on me already

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

You should try Dante XXI too, it's a belter :)

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Devious

Just listening t A-Lex now, cracking stuff, loving metamorphosis. Must admit (shamefully) that Sepultura had somehow passed me by up til now, im going to work back through their albums after this one. Hard to believe these lads have been around so long and can still produce such an original sounding album.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭Chaosangel

Devious wrote: »
    Just listening t A-Lex now, cracking stuff, loving metamorphosis. Must admit (shamefully) that Sepultura had somehow passed me by up til now, im going to work back through their albums after this one. Hard to believe these lads have been around so long and can still produce such an original sounding album.

definitly go through there back catologue,just start from when they started mate you cant go wrong,some great music

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 stillbornalive

Devious wrote: »

i agree with this 100% and quite possibly the the makings of a modern day classic in sepultura's own Discography ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement