Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Underpaid and can't pay rent...

Options
  • 02-02-2009 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm currently on maternity leave and my employer tops up my maternity benefit. I am getting paid €230.30 per week by the social welfare for my maternity benefit and my employer pays me the rest at the end of the month. My salary is €1600 per month and the social welfare paid me 921.20€ this month which means work should have paid me 678€ but they only paid me 350!

I rang them on Friday and they thought I was on the higher rate and they will sort it for me in next months (this month now...) wages. Problem is, my rent is due... and I can't pay it, I originally thought I could get a loan for the wages and pay it back at the end of the month... but I can't and now I'm stuck...

Is there anything I can do? Can I ring my employer and ask them for the money by cheque, explaining that because they left me short I cannot pay my rent??

Thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

If you ring and explain what dire straits their mistake has left you in, they should send you a cheque.

However if I were you i'd look at my budgeting and savings plan - you're having a baby for flips sake, you should have savings or be saving so you can cover eventualities like these!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭artielange

eth0_ wrote: »
    If you ring and explain what dire straits their mistake has left you in, they should send you a cheque.

However if I were you i'd look at my budgeting and savings plan - you're having a baby for flips sake, you should have savings or be saving so you can cover eventualities like these!

Seems harsh. Not knowing if she had to pay for an emergency already that now has depleted her reserves for such a situation or multiple situations. Doe's t seem like enough info to make a judgment. Then again I don't think she was asking you. But if you were her employer you would see reason and write her a check but if you didn't does she have any other recourse?

Good luck to the original poster and congratulations!(you having a baby for flips sake)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

artielange wrote: »
    Seems harsh. Not knowing if she had to pay for an emergency already that now has depleted her reserves for such a situation or multiple situations. Doe's t seem like enough info to make a judgment.

Er...she's unable to pay her rent because, due to a mistake on her employers part, she was down a MERE 300 euro for the month? 300 euro is feck all and she should really have savings in place if the baby was planned, and start saving ASAP if it wasn't. I don't think that's harsh, it's just brutal honesty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Not everyone is fortunate enough to have savings or indeed not to have come to the end of their savings for whatever reason. It's a harsh world and many people only have this week's wages between them and the street. I suppose a little bit of understanding and human compassion is totally out of the question?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

I was underpaid this month too. Revenue had given the wrong tax info to my employer. According to my finance dept they did that to loads of people. I rang revenue and they've sorted it but I won't get the money till next month either so it might not be your employers fault.
    Anyway that doesn't help you either. What's your landlord like? Can you ask them for a one month extension. If you have history and are a good tenant they might let you go once. Most people will understand that having a kid plays havoc with the finances and it doesn't help when your pay is wrong.

• Advertisement

"a MERE 300 euro for the month? 300 euro is feck all "

well then you can send it it to her...good man ,i thought the opposite of ya

"she should really have savings in place if the baby was planned"

presumption?

I know your just saying if .Well what if she just payed for her husbands funeral and her Dads and her Mothers and her 200k that was her backup in stocks(now worth zilch) what if? and what if ?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Hagar wrote: »
    Not everyone is fortunate enough to have savings or indeed not to have come to the end of their savings for whatever reason. It's a harsh world and many people only have this week's wages between them and the street. I suppose a little bit of understanding and human compassion is totally out of the question?

Seems to me here employer is already being hugely compassionate paying her when she's not working! The majority of workers don't enjoy such conditions. If we get preggers, we have to save in advance to pay for expenses such as rent that will not be able to be paid from the maternity benefit.

JustMary wrote: »
    Seems to me here employer is already being hugely compassionate paying her when she's not working! The majority of workers don't enjoy such conditions. If we get preggers, we have to save in advance to pay for expenses such as rent that will not be able to be paid from the maternity benefit.

Seems to me that you seem to talk for the sake of talking ........WTF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

JustMary wrote: »
    I wasn't referring to her employer, I was referring to a comment by another poster.

Hagar wrote: »
    I wasn't referring to her employer, I was referring to a comment by another poster.

Wow we have something in common .......me too.

I hope this all worked out for maternityleave and she's back to worrying about more important things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

A loan from St Vincent de Paul? Put it on a credit card? Overdraft facility in the bank? Ask your parents for a loan? Friend for a loan. Seeing as you are paying it back next month I dont see a problem. Long term you need to look at your situation and determine if renting is a good option for you?

Advertisement