Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your perfect snow-day dinner?

• 02-02-2009 12:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭

I think mine might have to be cottage pie. Something mince-ey and grave-ey with mash :)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

A beef casserole with mash and veg. Then apple crumble with custard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,054 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

olaola wrote: »
    I think mine might have to be cottage pie. Something mince-ey and grave-ey with mash :)

and kudos to you for not calling it shepherd's pie!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

chicken chasseur and mash..... apple crumble and custard too!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭ilovecars

oh it has to be a stew..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Ha i randomly had stew tonight (nothing to do with cold weather)
    It was lovely!
    Im now going to the gym while everyone in the house is watching tv by the fire!! Dam beer and its calories!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Oh lord.

Make a beef and guinness stew with a variation on Jamie Oliver's B&G pie (without parsnip). Then use the stew to fill muffin cups that have been lined with puff pastry. Top the stew with a slice of some strong cheddar and then put a pie-lid on using more puff pastry, then score and egg wash.

Oven cook the pies until the tops are risen and golden, and serve with variations on a theme of vegetables - either roasted snips and carrots, or steamed carrots with peas and a little butter, or a pile of peas and corn mixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭mildews

Bread & Butter pudding all the way..!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I read that as 'slow' day cooking but it works for snow day too. I started this last night. I had this dish called 'cassoulet' in Carcassonne in France and it is a favourite. I like to take a couple of days getting it together, slow cooking everything but it can be done in a few hours.

1lb haricot beans
    1/2 lbs bacon
    1lbs pork loin
    1lbs lamb
    2 duck breasts
    1 Toulouse sausage
    8 oz tomatoes
    A couple of large carrots
    3 large onions
    Lots of garlic cloves (5 to 6), 1/3 crushed, 2/3 whole
    olive oil
    1 bouquet garni
    Extra thyme bayleaf and parsley
    salt & pepper
    Wash and then soak the beans overnight. (Harrocot are traditional but I often use a tin of kidney beans for convienience but it dosen't take on the full flavour of the cassoulet.)
    Add the beans, bacon, peeled onions and a few cloves of whole garlic to a very large casserole dish with a splash of oil and start to bring the ingrediants up to heat. Add the bouquet garni.
    Add the crushed garlic cloves and the carrots cut into large chunks. Season, add water and bring to a simmer for 2 hours to cook the beans.
    Meanwhile, fry the pork and lamb pieces, the duck and sausage with two chopped onions and some crushed garlic. When the meat is nicely coloured throw in the chopped tomatos and the extra herbs (thyme, bay and parsley). Add a 2floz of water, cover and simmer for an hour.
    When the beans are cooked remove the onions and the bouquet garni. Add the other cooked meats, ingreadients and cooking juices. Gently mix and simmer for another 20 minutes.
    Serve hot with fresh crusty chunks of bread and at least three bottles of wine :).

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

and kudos to you for not calling it shepherd's pie!!

What's wrong with calling it shepherd's pie!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Baybay

cozmik wrote: »
    What's wrong with calling it shepherd's pie!!

Nothing!

Cottage pie, the term which was most widely used first, generally refers to beef mince while shepherd's pie more usually refers to lamb. It really depends on the ingredients the maker prefers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Homemade veg soup with fresh crusty turnover bread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 higgo1888

has to be a steak stew with chunky fresh turnover bread

Advertisement