Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mandatory bag search at cinema

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

The policy of searching bags sounds Stalinist to me. I would not submit to such a search and would not visit a place that sanctions such searches.
    I'd say the sign is there to please the copyright agents that steps are being taken to stop piracy and protect the wages of film makers.
    I have never seen a search.
    While there is a very weak moral case for protecting the likes of Tom Cruises millions, film making also pays the wages of many ordinary workers such as extras, set makers, hairdressers etc that support the "stars".
    The pirates use the money got from illegal copies to do other illegal things like arms and drug dealing and other unsavoury and highly illegal things.
    They do not deserve support from the public and have NO moral case.
    Cinemas do not like other peoples food to be ate on their premises and are not alone in this. Try eating or drinking "imported" food or drink in a pub or hotel and see what happens.
    The stuff they sell is overpriced in my opinion and over sized. Kids would not eat all the stuff in the monster sacks they sell but smaller portions would SAVE customers money and this is not in the cinemas interest.
    Hopefully the recession will see a relaxation of this "bought on the premises only" rule as the realities of attracting a share of a shrinking pot dawn on these greed-meisters................
    More realistic prices and smaller portions would be a helpful start.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭baloonatic

Myself and the missus go to Liffey valley a bit. I've never seen it acted upon before but if they ever asked i'm have a big problem. I can see the problem with people bringing in bags, but in fairness it's their issue and if they want to alienate their customers with random threats I think it'd be a ridiculous business move. The sign alone is enough to rub people up the wrong way.

I'm currently doing research about the taxi industry, and I'd appreciate all of your opinions.

CLICK HERE to complete a survey for taxi customers
    please CLICK HERE if you are a taxi driver,

Thanks again,

Steve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

CINEMAS/PUBS/CLUBS/SHOPS RESERVE THE RIGHT TO REFUSE ADMISSION

I'm seeing a lot of comments like 'I wouldn't submit to a search' or 'I'd ask them for their Garda badge' or 'They're not legally entitled to search you'. They are legally entitled to tell you to **** off if you don't and thats the holy all of it

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

jimi_t wrote: »
    CINEMAS/PUBS/CLUBS/SHOPS RESERVE THE RIGHT TO REFUSE ADMISSION

I'm seeing a lot of comments like 'I wouldn't submit to a search' or 'I'd ask them for their Garda badge' or 'They're not legally entitled to search you'. They are legally entitled to tell you to **** off if you don't and thats the holy all of it

Stopping you entering the premises and demanding to search you are two different things, like was already said they cant reserve a right they simply dont have

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

Shelflife wrote: »
    THe problem with the cinemas this country is that they rip the arse off their confectionary prices, you can make good enough money on sweets anything without that. this is why people resort to stocking up shopping up the north/ on-line before they go in.

if they charged fair prices , people would buy their sweets there more of everything.

Fixed that for you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

krudler wrote: »
    they cant reserve a right they simply dont have

A right they may not have in law, but a right that you've granted them on accepting the terms of the cinema, probably?

I, for one, would have no problem with such a search as long as it was done discretely and respectfully. I would volunteer that right, if requested, in the interests of seeing the film.

Ask for a Garda's badge?? WTF!

Yes sweets/Coke/popcorn are ridiculously priced, but then the ticket price is lower than what I've paid on the continent. I'd support a move to levelling the margins somewhat, but the fact remains that it costs money to run a cinema, and it's something that is not reaping mega-profits for many (any?) cinema owners.

We could debate that we need fewer, better quality cinemas, or how a cinema should be run, etc. People are still willing to go a long with the current trend, so there's little incentive to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Profiler wrote: »
    Never will? what if they charge €150 per ticket?

Then the will make even less.
    our sweets(standard stuff) came to 1/3 more than the ticket price..absolute rip-off.

Thats a vague comment. I could buy 10 multipacks of chikatees in Tesco and it would cost 1/3 more than the ticket price Would that be a rip off?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Bag searches are quite common in Australia, most shops have a sign at the door and if you don't like it, or think you're being repressed, you have two choices - don't go into the store or don't go into the store with bags. All the do is look into it perfunctarily, it's not an invasive search, just enough to deter shoplifting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭BubbleWrap85

If you've nothing to hide, then what's the big deal? Personally I think it's a great idea. Fella next to me in the Savoy popped open a couple of cans of Bulmers in the cinema. That's surely not on. Maybe if they'd checked his Missus' handbag they'd have been caught! I realise you can still hide em in your coat or something but minimises the amount you can hide!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

If everyone was to drink at the cinema ,it would get messy pretty quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭BubbleWrap85

Well I wouldn't do it, but just saying that chap clearly did! If I want to sneak sweets in, I will. They can still check my bag!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

Well I wouldn't do it, but just saying that chap clearly did! If I want to sneak sweets in, I will. They can still check my bag!! :)

Yeah I got that from you ,I had the offer myself a couple of weeks back to drink(wine in a coke bottle) at the cinema. But I just couldn't picture myself doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Kat1170

concussion wrote: »
    Bag searches are quite common in Australia, most shops have a sign at the door and if you don't like it, or think you're being repressed, you have two choices - don't go into the store or don't go into the store with bags. All the do is look into it perfunctarily, it's not an invasive search, just enough to deter shoplifting.

Then surely you should be searched on the way out not on the way in. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Actually, I've been at a shopping centre in Spain where they do something even more insane;
    If you have a bag or bags with you, you have three options:
    1. Don't go in
    2. Leave your bag at the door (with an attendant)
    3. Have your bags shrink-wrapped, like in the airport.

Madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

seamus wrote: »
    Actually, I've been at a shopping centre in Spain where they do something even more insane;
    If you have a bag or bags with you, you have three options:
    1. Don't go in
    2. Leave your bag at the door (with an attendant)
    3. Have your bags shrink-wrapped, like in the airport.

Madness.

seen this too :D

best system ive seen is where they have these see through lockers inside the door's of these spar / centra type places , you pop your bag in and take the key, and there is a security guy standing there to ask you to put it in if you miss them. SO no need for a search and no reason to say what if someone steals it. I got so used to doing it i actually instinctively looked for the bloody lockers when i got back here and went into a spar :D

Advertisement