Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tyre fitting - Cork

Options
  • 02-02-2009 12:28pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm getting new tyres for my motor from the UK - (cause I save about €80 per tyre.)
    I'm looking for somewhere in cork that will fit them for me.
    So far anyone I asked won't do it cause they didn't sell the tyre to me.

Anyone know of somewhere around cork that would fit them for me?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭jimmysull

Try O'Callaghan's in Ballyvolane (Ask for Finbarr)
    He'll charge you for fitting them but not too much.

They must be some tyres if they are €80 cheaper in UK. If you shop around in Ireland you'll get them cheaper too. I got 215-45-17's last week for €79.

You don't need the big brand tyres! The lower cost ones all come off the same production lines.
    and even if they were to wear down faster, they don't wear down fast enough to make up the cost difference

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I do that all the time. One of the lads spent an hour phoning around and found Hannover Tyres in Carrigtwohill to be the cheapest.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Cheers for that

Well I need good tryes the way I drive :)
    I have tried cheap tyres on cars before and it's not worth it.
    They are the only thing holding you on the road and one thing I won't go cheap on.
    I am looking to get 225/40/18's

There are some savings to be made in the UK

Eg Toyo Proxies here are around €190 each
    UK they cost £82 each

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric €220 here
    UK £108 each

jimmysull wrote: »
    Try O'Callaghan's in Ballyvolane (Ask for Finbarr)
    He'll charge you for fitting them but not too much.

Hey do you have a number for him - Cant see it in the Golden Pages

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭*Derek*

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm getting new tyres for my motor from the UK - (cause I save about €80 per tyre.)
    I'm looking for somewhere in cork that will fit them for me.
    So far anyone I asked won't do it cause they didn't sell the tyre to me.

Anyone know of somewhere around cork that would fit them for me?

Where in Cork are you? I'll give you two numbers. I purchase all mine from uk and get them fitted here. I take it you use camskill too??

• Advertisement

Cheers - I used camskill, got the tyres sitting in the Garage now.
    I'm based in the city centre - send on the numbers / locations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 DC10

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Cheers - I used camskill, got the tyres sitting in the Garage now.
    I'm based in the city centre - send on the numbers / locations

Hi mik did you get sorted with your tyres?
    I have the same problem,would you send me on the numbers/locations please.

HI,
    Here are the details:

Christys Tyres
    Commons Rd
    Quinagh / Co Cork
    Telephone: 087 9272009

Opening hours:

* From Monday to Friday 9.00-5.30 hours
    * Saturday 9.30-6 hours

Head out by the blackpool shopping centre and take the second sliproad off the dual carrigeway. search for Blackstone Bridge on google maps and you'll find it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 DC10

Thanks for that mik_da_man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

I do that all the time. One of the lads spent an hour phoning around and found Hannover Tyres in Carrigtwohill to be the cheapest.
    How much did they charge you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I usually get two fitted at a time; put the new ones on the front and swap the front to the back. They usually charge me 20 squids including the charge for disposing of the old tyres, but I think they were giving me a discount. I don't know what price they quoted my friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭tech

Dessie in Blackpool should do it

I got charged €0 per tyre.
    And Dessies in Blackpool won't fit them for ya - I asked...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 rmcc

I think this business offers a great serevice and are by far the best value in East Cork. their number is 086 8310235

• Registered Users Posts: 25 HighOnFire

Hi Lads,

I was just wondering.. today i took my car to Red tag tyre shop in South Cork Industrial Estate (Pouladuff), Ballyphehane and that polish dude there charged me 20e for balancing the front tyres. I dunno, but this seems to me a bit much just for balancing a pair of tyres. No receipt nothing.. I was there last year in October and bought 4 new tyres there and the price was good (the polish fella was there before as well) ... I was expecting something around 15 euro max, maybe tenner.. what do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

HighOnFire wrote: »
    Hi Lads,

I was just wondering.. today i took my car to Red tag tyre shop in South Cork Industrial Estate (Pouladuff), Ballyphehane and that polish dude there charged me 20e for balancing the front tyres. I dunno, but this seems to me a bit much just for balancing a pair of tyres. No receipt nothing.. I was there last year in October and bought 4 new tyres there and the price was good (the polish fella was there before as well) ... I was expecting something around 15 euro max, maybe tenner.. what do you think?

probably something for a new thread.. but I dont think you were ripped off tbh, it sounds about bang on to me. im sure if you had asked for a receipt he would have provided one.

For a start that's not ballyphehane, secondly I don't see what the chaps nationality has to do with anything, going forward you should enquire about the price prior to getting the work done.

corkcomp wrote: »
    probably something for a new thread.. but I dont think you were ripped off tbh, it sounds about bang on to me. im sure if you had asked for a receipt he would have provided one.

Im sure he would give me one, but still twenty euro for balancing two tyres is a bit more than i would expect. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

20 sounds about right to me. 15 would be great, but I wouldn't grumble about 20 for 2 wheels.

In relation (On a different vein) to fitting tires bought online, I was staggered recently to see the costs of disposing old tires a friend pays in his shop. 7 Euro to dump most normal tires through the correct channels! That leavs for a place charging 15 a wheel only 8 Euro profit (Less actually, if you factor in wheel weights, electricity for equipment used to lift the car/undo bolts/balance/remove+fit tires. Couldn't believe how much that actually costs TBH!

RoverJames wrote: »
    For a start that's not ballyphehane, secondly I don't see what the chaps nationality has to do with anything, going forward you should enquire about the price prior to getting the work done.

Ok, so Togher or what i dont know. The nationality has to do a lot, because poles are usually (not all of them of course) dodgy. Believe me, i have some experience with them (one polish mechanic was fixin my car a year ago and he told me that he dont like to fix cars for poles, because they always think they will get better price as they are polish too etc.) ... and i wasnt asking about the price, because i expected some reasonable price straight away. last october i bought there set of four tires (155/70x13) together for 140e (including fitting)... so i thought they wont charge me more than 15..

see this is the worst thing on services we really need and we cant live without them. if all telecommunication companies will charge 35e/month for same broadband speed and not even euro less there is nothing we can do about it. :cool:

• Advertisement

The nationality has to do a lot, because poles are usually (not all of them of course) dodgy. Believe me,

P*ss off. I'm going out with a Polish girl for 5 years, and have plenty of polish friends, and you're talking out your ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

P*ss off. I'm going out with a Polish girl for 5 years, and have plenty of polish friends, and you're talking out your ass.

+1 sounds like a bitter twisted racist to me

Thats prefectly fine, but im just telling you that i dont have good experience with them (neither do my friends). Im definitely not a racist or something, ok? Sorry if i offended you in any way, but you must understand, their reputation isnt the best (and i heard a lot of negative stories and experiences believe me) :(

If you've bad experiences, fine. But you labelled an entire nation with your frankly stupid post, and as you're new around here - that won't exactly stand to your new reputation - or be inclined to make people help you with any questions you may have in the future.

You should also acquaint yourself with the rules of boards that you signed up to when you created your account. Generally, stuff like that will earn you a fast ban from the forum, and potentially the whole site.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Watch the personal abuse please. You know better.

Sorry Faith, I retract that abusive comment. :o

because poles are usually (not all of them of course) dodgy.

Oh my. Unreal what one reads on boards.ie at times, Poles are the same as the rest of us, some bad, most good. That chap working in Red Tag is a very honest lad, Chris Dowling wouldn't be leaving him there otherwise ;)

RoverJames wrote: »
    Oh my. Unreal what one reads on boards.ie at times, Poles are the same as the rest of us, some bad, most good. That chap working in Red Tag is a very honest lad, Chris Dowling wouldn't be leaving him there otherwise ;)

Saying that one nation is same like the other is like saying: "there is a god, i know that, believe me". Well, its not working like that :). If you go to russia, you will probably get robbed straight away on the airport, this wont happen if you go to canada for expamle. If you expect good drivers in ireland, forget about it, but you will definitely find them in switzerland. :cool:

...and as you're new around here - that won't exactly stand to your new reputation - or be inclined to make people help you with any questions you may have in the future.

You should also acquaint yourself with the rules of boards that you signed up to when you created your account. Generally, stuff like that will earn you a fast ban from the forum, and potentially the whole site.

I am maybe new on this forum, but im not definitely new on internet (like you), so i think you should know, that i can create as much ids as i want :) ... EnamelSurgeon for example, but this would be very suspicious :D

• Advertisement

Saying that one nation is same like the other is like saying: "there is a god, i know that, believe me". Well, its not working like that :). If you go to russia, you will probably get robbed straight away on the airport, this wont happen if you go to canada for expamle. If you expect good drivers in ireland, forget about it, but you will definitely find them in switzerland. :cool:

So because Russian airports have loads of folks that rob tourists that means that most Russians arenot good people ? Loads of good drivers in Ireland too by the way.

Where are you from anyway ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement