Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone beater

• 02-02-2009 1:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭

Is there one? I want a phone like the iPhone but I'm not a big fan of apple or itunes.

I was looking at the LG Renoir but I've seen it's got very mixed reviews and one review mentioned the Samsung pixon which looked perfect but hasn't got WiFi which I would consider essential on a phone like this. I also like their Omnia phone but it's getting up there in price.

I liked those two because they have good built in cameras and as my digital camera has died I'm looking to replace it with a good camera phone.

Is there an iPhone beater available in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

While there are comprimises with owning an iPhone, nothing else feels like it. It's so smooth to use, and the OS is fast and near-perfect in design. No other touch-phone has been as nice to use. They're always too clunky and based on OS' that were just never destined for such applications...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It's pricey though €630 sim free.

I'll be getting the phone sim free so I can swap my work sim into it.

Any phone that can record video is a iphone beater!
    Or how about has flash,can cut and paste, multi tasks...

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,533 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I have to say, I got the Sony Xperia X1, and its fantastic. Customizing it a fair bit. Ive used the iphone, and whilst it is a lovely phone, Im enjoying the X1 so much better so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Kid Nothing

ScumLord wrote: »
    It's pricey though €630 sim free.

I'll be getting the phone sim free so I can swap my work sim into it.

Buy it on Prepay and then unlock using yellowsn0w, you can then use any sim in it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,942 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Any phone that can record video is a iphone beater!
    Or how about has flash,can cut and paste, multi tasks...
    hate_iphone_3g.jpg

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Iphones are great if your mate has one and you can mess with it down the pub every so often. But as a primary phone, they're a bit meh. The only thing it wins on hands down is user interface.

I recently got a HTC touch diamond, check out the videos of the interface on youtube. Its windows mobile too so if you really want you can 'skin' the interface and it will look exactly like an iphone. Had a comparison with a mate who has an iphone and the only thing he got me on was the iphones got a bigger screen (tho the HTC has a higher res, smaller screen) and the fact the HTC doesnt have multi-touch. Again, great to show people zooming in and out in images but thats it really.

Get the diamond, or the xperia or some form of Nokia. They're much more customizable and have a lot more power. (charge-wise and ram-wise)

On a side note, Do you really wanna be one of those people who boast that they can get a day out of their iphone battery because they turn of wifi, bluetooth, 3G etc.. I took the sim out of my N95 2 and a half weeks ago and its still on without a charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

If you can hold off, wait for the Palm Pre. Going by the videos and previews so far it seem to an incredible looking device. I'm seriously considering it as my next phone. The UI looks to be an improvement on Apple's and it's has none of the silly design choices such as lack of MMS, no background programs etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

antodeco wrote: »
    I have to say, I got the Sony Xperia X1, and its fantastic. Customizing it a fair bit. Ive used the iphone, and whilst it is a lovely phone, Im enjoying the X1 so much better so far.

+1

I love my X1 and don't know what I would do without having the slide-out keyboard. Add a 16GB microSD card for €50 incl. delivery and I have all the storage I could ever need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

If you can hold off, wait for the Palm Pre.

+1

But only god knows when it will become available here...

• Advertisement

The thing is my current phone is dieing and being a pain in general. So the sooner the better.

The Samsung Omnia is standing out at the moment watched a few reviews on youtube, it's windows too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 marvinsa

I haven't used any of the other phones mentioned in this thread, but got an iphone for Christmas and can honestly say WOW! It does have some flaws (camera not great & can't cut and paste text for some strange reason), but overall it is without doubt the absolute best phone I have EVER had!! I use it the whole time, primarily for web browsing & whether it's 3G or Wifi, find it so fast, easy, problem & hassle free. I am now also addicted to the app store & the free apps, also ones for a couple of euro which are great, problem is I've purchased about 20 of them on impulse so will never get round to properly using all of them!! To be honest, it's more like a tiny handheld PC to me, with an incredible interface which has the added benefit of also acting as a phone & texting device! I've heard about Apple products and user friendliness, how once you start using them you'll never go back to a non-Apple alternative, but never understood why until now. Good luck with your search & phone, whichever you go for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,695 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I have a contract with Meteor which is up soon !
    I need a phone that can display images in good quality, that is the main attraction of the iphone for me !
    I could get the Samsung tocca for cheaper and stay with Meteor (which i want) - but is the iphone the best around for image display ?

Cheers

thebaz wrote: »
    I could get the Samsung tocca for cheaper and stay with Meteor (which i want) - but is the iphone the best around for image display ?

Cheers
    It's got one of the the biggest screens but the HTC touch diamond mentioned above has the highest resolution it's on a par with a standard TV but the screen is much smaller. So I guess it depends, do you want the highest resolution possible or a bigger screen for showing others.

I'd almost go for the iPhone but the camera is a big draw for me as it's slightly justifying the high price of the phone. I think I may fall off the fence into Samsung land soon, unless someone can tell me that their a terrible phone.

@ thebaz

This is how photos and videos look on the touch diamond. You dont get much beter than 400x640 resolution on a mobile screen at the moment. its only 0.7 inches (diagonally) smaller than the iphone screen, but with the bigger resoultion the pics will be very clear. Bear in mind its about half the price sim-free as well.

noblestee wrote: »
    @ thebaz

This is how photos and videos look on the touch diamond. You dont get much beter than 400x640 resolution on a mobile screen at the moment.

Unless you factor in the X1's 800x480 resolution on a 3" screen. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 stu3mb

You guys forgot to mention the HTC Touch HD :D

In my opinion its better than the Xperia and Iphone in a sense.

Don't forgot in the future you might be able to put Android OS on those phones or upgrade to windows 7 mobile, User Interface should be much improved then.

I'm waiting to get HTC Touch HD. It is available in UK on Orange. The phones offered here in Ireland are so pathetic...*whines

Rsaeire wrote: »

Unless you factor in the X1's 800x480 resolution on a 3" screen. ;)

Damn, didn't know that. Time to sell the phone I think!

stu3mb wrote: »
    You guys forgot to mention the HTC Touch HD :D

In my opinion its better than the Xperia and Iphone in a sense.

Don't forgot in the future you might be able to put Android OS on those phones or upgrade to windows 7 mobile, User Interface should be much improved then.

I'm waiting to get HTC Touch HD. It is available in UK on Orange. The phones offered here in Ireland are so pathetic...*whines

I will admit, the HTC Touch HD is a great handset, however, I cannot use a touchscreen handset without a keyboard or dedicated directional buttons. To see the screen of any touchscreen handset riddled with fingerprints and grime makes for a very unpleasant user experience, in my opinion.

noblestee wrote: »
    Damn, didn't know that. Time to sell the phone I think!

Indeed, off you go! :p

The Touch Diamond is a great handset and the TouchFLO 3D interface is far better than a lot of other handset's UI implementations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

thanks all - whats the verdict on the Samsung tocca ?

A friend of mine showed me some images on his iphone, and I was well pleased with the quality displayed - don't care about the camera on-board - as I'll never use it !!

thebaz wrote: »
    whats the verdict on the Samsung tocca ?
    !

bumping this up ... anyone any verdict on the Tocco ?
    in particular for image and video display !!

Advertisement