Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin SPCA Suffers Massive Fire

Options
  • 02-02-2009 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

I am a volunteer here and thought I would help spread the word:

2nd February 2009

Last night the Dublin SPCA suffered a fire that destroyed our hay barn, a year’s supply of hay and hard feed along with the shelter’s tractor and all its maintenance equipment and tools. Damage is estimated to be over €500,000.

Thankfully all the animals and staff are safe and unharmed. This is a devastating loss. Our priorities are to assess the extent of the damage and secure emergency supplies for our equine and other large animals.

We are in the process of sourcing emergency feed for the animals but we are appealing to the public to donate what they can to help us. We currently have about 300 animals at our shelter in Rathfarnam including horses, dogs, cats, ducks, goats and wildlife.

The Dublin SPCA has been supported by the public for 169 years and we feel confident that we will get through this with your continued support. Please share this story with your friends and family, including those living abroad. Please make a donation now or become a monthly member.

The shelter will be closed to the public until further notice. We hope to open again early next week. We will however be open for those with scheduled adoption or veterinary appointments. Our inspectors will still be on the road to rescue the sick and injured animals that need our help. Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Just donated. Bad news but at least all the animals are ok. Hope you can get the amount raised that you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭ButterflyGirl23

Thank you so much MsFifers for donating.
    I too hope we get the money raised and fast as the poor horses have no food!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Just heard about it on the RTE Radio 1 lunchtime news. They gave it a good piece and gave out the donation details a couple of times. Hopefully that should help.

Thanks for letting me know. I'm in work so unfortuantly I missed it but i'll see if they have it on a podcast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭dsg

I was really sorry to hear about the fire. I know what great work you guys do up there. Our 2 lovely cats are probably only around today because we got them through the DSPCA.

I do have one question about the fire though. Was there no insurance cover in place at all? I know you need money sorted asap to replace the feed etc but surely there was insurance, even if it was only buildings insurance?

I know you say you're not open to the public at the moment but if I came up with some food etc could i leave it with someone there? Is there anything specific you need immediately?

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

Donation sent...

Hope you get plenty of donations.

Thanks for all the great work you and the spca's around the country do...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Test For Echo

Was horrified when I heard about the fire. Thank goodness no animals were harmed. Finances in a mess at present - will get a small donation off when I get on top of things.

T4E

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Beth

I've posted it on my own site to help spread the word.

Was the barn not insured? Insurance claims can usually be fast enough if it was.

dsg wrote: »
    I was really sorry to hear about the fire. I know what great work you guys do up there. Our 2 lovely cats are probably only around today because we got them through the DSPCA.

I do have one question about the fire though. Was there no insurance cover in place at all? I know you need money sorted asap to replace the feed etc but surely there was insurance, even if it was only buildings insurance?

I know you say you're not open to the public at the moment but if I came up with some food etc could i leave it with someone there? Is there anything specific you need immediately?

Sorry dsg but I can't really answer your insurance question as I don't know the answer. Obviously they do have some insurance but I have no idea what type and what the terms are and of course if they do make a big claim their insurance premium will go up a lot.

It is closed for the public so if I were you I would ring ahead and let them know you have feed and see if you could drop it up. There will be staff there from about 9 to 5 and i'm sure they would be greatful for your donation.
    I think they meant it is closed just for people coming to look at the dogs and cats as the place is very messy and would be dangerous for kids etc.

artieanna wrote: »
    Donation sent...

Hope you get plenty of donations.

Thanks for all the great work you and the spca's around the country do...

Thank you so much artieanna for your donation!!!

• Advertisement

Was horrified when I heard about the fire. Thank goodness no animals were harmed. Finances in a mess at present - will get a small donation off when I get on top of things.

T4E

Was it was horrifing! I was there walking a dog when it happened. I've never been so scared!
    Thanks for your support.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Trying to get anyone I know to spare a bit of cash. It's only up the road from me and I've gotten two great dogs from there.

Beth wrote: »
    I've posted it on my own site to help spread the word.

Was the barn not insured? Insurance claims can usually be fast enough if it was.

Thanks Beth for helping spread the word.
    Not sure about what insurance they have but I would imagine if they made a big claim their insurance premium would go up a lot.

seamus wrote: »
    Trying to get anyone I know to spare a bit of cash. It's only up the road from me and I've gotten two great dogs from there.

Thank you so much Seamus for spreading the word.
    Which dogs are they? I'll see if I remember them!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Long since departed now unfortunately, got them when I was only a nipper.

seamus wrote: »
    Long since departed now unfortunately, got them when I was only a nipper.

Oh sorry to hear about that. It's one of the hardest things to lose a pet.

Video footage of the fire, the next day and the animals now up on the dspca website at: http://www.dspca.ie/fire_at_dublin_spca.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Rory123

Hope the DSPCA get back on their feet soon! And I hope they get to the bottom of the cause of the fire so it can be prevented in future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I would suggest approaching the farmers Journal to write an article in a publication. There may be farmers willing to donate some of their surplus winter feed

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭TKD SC

Hi,

Only saw this thread now. I also volunteer up there at weekends, so this is just a bit of a bump to remind people that any donations would still be much appreciated...

Thanks,

Simon

• Advertisement
Advertisement