Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin SPCA Suffers Massive Fire

Options
  • 02-02-2009 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

I volunteer here and thought I would help spread the word:

2nd February 2009

Last night the Dublin SPCA suffered a fire that destroyed our hay barn, a year’s supply of hay and hard feed along with the shelter’s tractor and all its maintenance equipment and tools. Damage is estimated to be over €500,000.

Thankfully all the animals and staff are safe and unharmed. This is a devastating loss. Our priorities are to assess the extent of the damage and secure emergency supplies for our equine and other large animals.

We are in the process of sourcing emergency feed for the animals but we are appealing to the public to donate what they can to help us. We currently have about 300 animals at our shelter in Rathfarnam including horses, dogs, cats, ducks, goats and wildlife.

The Dublin SPCA has been supported by the public for 169 years and we feel confident that we will get through this with your continued support. Please share this story with your friends and family, including those living abroad. Please make a donation now or become a monthly member.

The shelter will be closed to the public until further notice. We hope to open again early next week. We will however be open for those with scheduled adoption or veterinary appointments. Our inspectors will still be on the road to rescue the sick and injured animals that need our help. Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Mingey

That's what you get for protecting species like the fire-breathing dragon. They are endagered for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

destroyed our hay barn, a year’s supply of hay
    Would it be possible for the DSPCA to link up with the IFA on the hay issue. I know it's a tough time for livestock farmers but I'm sure many would be willing to donate a round bale each.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭GeeNorm

Have you read animal farm? Maybe the animals could help out. I'm not a farmer but is a horse not just an old-fashioned tractor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭LiamD

That's terrible. I have always admired the DSPCA's work. Can you not recoup the loss from insurance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

LiamD wrote: »
    That's terrible. I have always admired the DSPCA's work. Can you not recoup the loss from insurance?

That might present a problem with an insurance hike next year then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

<3 the DSPCA

Made a donation and hope others do too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

Mingey wrote: »
    That's what you get for protecting species like the fire-breathing dragon. They are endagered for a reason.
    Lame joke.

AH that way ===>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Are the DSPCA a sub-section of the ISPCA?, genuine question

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Best of luck with this, gave everything I had left on my wirecard, it wasn't much but hopefully it'll go to some good for the animals :)

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭ButterflyGirl23

GeeNorm wrote: »
    Have you read animal farm? Maybe the animals could help out. I'm not a farmer but is a horse not just an old-fashioned tractor?

All the horses they have on the land are abuse cases and horses who need special care so I doubt they will want to put them to work like that. They have been through enough in their lives.

• Advertisement

Rb wrote: »
    <3 the DSPCA

Made a donation and hope others do too.

Thank you so much Rb, that is brilliant!!!

cormie wrote: »
    Best of luck with this, gave everything I had left on my wirecard, it wasn't much but hopefully it'll go to some good for the animals :)

Thank you cormie for donating, it really means a lot!

Yes they are related somewhat. Not too sure on the specifics though.

Would it be possible for the DSPCA to link up with the IFA on the hay issue. I know it's a tough time for livestock farmers but I'm sure many would be willing to donate a round bale each.

I hope so, I left a thread in the farming section of these boards and it was also on the news so fingers crossed some of them will see it and be able to donate.

I'll be up working there this weekend so i'll be able to find out the latest developments.

Video footage of the fire, the next day and the animals now up on the dspca website at: http://www.dspca.ie/fire_at_dublin_spca.php

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Is there an offline option for donating to this fund i.e. a bank account that I can deposit some euros?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Use a little cop-on before making posts like this, eh!.

Mairt wrote: »
    Use a little cop-on before making posts like this, eh!.

Ah Jeez, it's hardly that bad.

Edit/ oh Christ you are a mod here now...

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭giddybootz

flat broke until the 13th :(

is there any way i could volunteer to come up and help at the weekend?

Hermy wrote: »
    Is there an offline option for donating to this fund i.e. a bank account that I can deposit some euros?

I know there is a way to do an offline donation. I went to the site, I thought they use to have the bank details on line but I can't seem to see them. I suggest that you email them at: info@dspca.ie and ask for the bank details.

• Advertisement

giddybootz wrote: »
    flat broke until the 13th :(

is there any way i could volunteer to come up and help at the weekend?

Sure you can come up, we are always looking for people to volunteer!
    I'll be working in the rehoming kennels this weekend there wasn't really anyone there last weekend in the rehoming kennels so i'll sure need a hand! Also there wasn't really anyone in the cattery or treatment centre. It was unusually quiet last weekend. It differs week to week.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I know there is a way to do an offline donation. I went to the site, I thought they use to have the bank details on line but I can't seem to see them. I suggest that you email them at: info@dspca.ie and ask for the bank details.
    I'm without e-mail access at the mo but if need be I'll pay a visit to yourselves in Rathfarnham and leave a few quid there.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »
    I'm without e-mail access at the mo but if need be I'll pay a visit to yourselves in Rathfarnham and leave a few quid there.

Or you can ring them on: (01) 493 5502/4 to get their details

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Sorry to hear that on the news - was up there at Christmas to see Santa and was imporessed by the place.

Please tell me that the place is insured though? I know it will affect the premiums next year, but at least there's be no need to fork out that much money in one limp to replace lost equipment/feed etc.

deswalsh wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that on the news - was up there at Christmas to see Santa and was imporessed by the place.

Please tell me that the place is insured though? I know it will affect the premiums next year, but at least there's be no need to fork out that much money in one limp to replace lost equipment/feed etc.

Glad to hear you went to the santa thing, I was a helper elf at it (cringe!), not use to been around so many kids but it was a lot of fun!
    I'm not too sure what the deal is with the insurance, i'll try to find out about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Hrmm, bit shocked OP got sitebanned without warning for this.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Cross forum spaming is frowned upon

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I wouldn't really call this spamming, more getting the voice across too the community in a time of need.
    Surely there was no need for her to be banned, very harsh.

It is spamming. Where would you draw the line? Just because it's for charity? Then you open up the doors for all kinds of mayhem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

It is spamming. Where would you draw the line? Just because it's for charity? Then you open up the doors for all kinds of mayhem.
    Lets get this straight. You posted the same lame ass joke in this forum as you did in each of the other fora that ButterflyGirl23 posted (search Mingey's posts for the record). She was at least highlighting something of importance. You on the other hand insisted on making the same stupid little schoolboy joke over and over.

If there was a rule in the charter about people like you serial posting (trolling) your flaccid attempt at jokes, that incidentally are not even close to being funny, then surely you would be a perfect candidate for an infraction or even a banning.

Understand this .. you have absolutely nothing of value to say so find somewhere else to crack your puerile jokes rather than embarrass some of the veterans and serious members who post here and love Dublin City.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement