Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Probs waste of a thread but...

• 02-02-2009 2:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭

On Wednesday I am going to head down to Gunn's to get one of these filters that make the sky look sexier...is this called a Grad filter?
    and which one should I get?? (using 5DII)
    Even a brief rundown on how they work or what one I really need....was in PP this morning and I felt I needed something 'extra'
    I don't really use a hood so no need to worry about it fitting with a hood etc...

:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

You're right, a total waste of a thread. :D

Nah, seriously, filters are always interesting, and yet complex enough. There are so many out there.

Firstly, it's more about the lenses you'll use the filters on than the camera.

Some filters are threaded, and some are not. Cokin make great filters, but they are mostly rectangle, with a threaded connector for the lens. So, you need to know your lens thread filter size (55mm, 77mm, 85mm, etc).

I personally find that there are 3 types of filters I use - UV to weather seal and protect my lens, circular polariser for sunny days and to help with glare, and then some ND Grad filters to darken the sky and keep the ground bright.

Gunns are brilliant. They will talk to you about the filters, and give you plenty of advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Get yourself a Cokin P filter system. The filters come in lots of different colours and gradations. For wide angle you'd use a soft grad and for tele photo you'd use a harder grad. You can find loads of info on the Cokin site. If you want to cut down on glare of the sky or the low sun you could use a circular polarising filter.

Dave OS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Thank you.

Kathy Gunn is well used to me at this stage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Another thing. Once you have the Cokin P system. You can find lots of other third party filters to fit it. These include Hitech, LEE, Singh-Ray and Tiffen.

Dave OS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,165 ✭✭✭nilhg

AR, have you a tripod? I wouldn't recommend trying the cokin system unless you have.

You might be as well starting off with a good polarising filter.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

The way I have seen people using ND Grads is to hand hold them in front of the lens when exposing. This requires the camera to be tripod mounted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I would steer clear of the Cokin filters if I was you - they give a purplish cast to the sky e.g.

3180795544_434a7fed66.jpg

if you still really want Cokin, I can sell you a set (holder, two adapters, 1 CP filter, 1 3-stop GND and 1 3-stop ND) :D

I would steer clear of the Cokin filters if I was you - they give a purplish cast to the sky e.g.

You must have done something wrong or have a dodgy filter. I'ved used Cokin filters without any blue cast.

Taken with a Cokin P filter, ND Grad (ND4).

2337413403_0ba3ba24cc.jpg

maybe so, although it's really not that difficult to use the filters and I've seen lots of people before indicating that they've seen the cast e.g. http://flickr.com/groups/velvia/discuss/72157612545755430/

Your shot looks good though, maybe it's a QC issue in the Cokin factory ?

Your shot looks good though, maybe it's a QC issue in the Cokin factory ?

Quite possibly.

I bought my filters from Gunns. Just wondering if you got a dodgy filter from some cheapo ebay dealer, claiming to be selling you a Cokin P filter??

• Advertisement

Paulw wrote: »
    Quite possibly.

I bought my filters from Gunns. Just wondering if you got a dodgy filter from some cheapo ebay dealer, claiming to be selling you a Cokin P filter??

Nah, I splurged one day and bought them in Conn's...I've been meaning to replace them with Lee or SignhRay, but I can't bring myself to part with over $100 for a 4x4" piece of glass. Maybe when the tiger returns, but these days you just never know if your job is safe one day to the next!

If you want to borrow mine sometime, to test/compare, just let me know.

If you want to borrow mine sometime, to test/compare, just let me know.

Thanks Paul, I just might take you up on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

I bought Cokin filters from Conns this time last year for my holiday in NZ and the one time I did use them I got a purply pink sky in most of them. I haven't been out with them since to see if it was me or the filters.

actually I'm not sure if the polariser and the ND have the cast, but I can definitely see it in the GND

AR - sorry to hijack your thread :-)

bovril wrote: »
    I bought Cokin filters from Conns this time last year for my holiday in NZ

I'm starting to see a trend here. :rolleyes: Conn's filters. Hmmmm.

A comparison would certainly be interesting.

nilhg wrote: »
    AR, have you a tripod? I wouldn't recommend trying the cokin system unless you have.

You might be as well starting off with a good polarising filter.
    I have but rarely use it.

AR - sorry to hijack your thread :-)
    TBH glad you did, not to pushed on 'em now, I just want something a wee bit better then what I am using at moment, ie normal polarizers.

I did these few this morning and I will be the 1st to admit that Landscapes is probs my weakest photography subject.

http://pix.ie/punkrock/album/333934

TBH glad you did, not to pushed on 'em now, I just want something a wee bit better then what I am using at moment, ie normal polarizers.

I did these few this morning and I will be the 1st to admit that Landscapes is probs my weakest photography subject.

http://pix.ie/punkrock/album/333934

I really like the 1st one. TBH, none of those really look like a GND would have benefited you greatly. The foreground isn't too dark and the skies aren't blown out with the possible exception of the last one

I really like the 1st one. TBH, none of those really look like a GND would have benefited you greatly. The foreground isn't too dark and the skies aren't blown out with the possible exception of the last one

Have to agree there. Some really nice images, but not sure filters would help a whole lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭conkeroo

I'm starting to see a trend here. :rolleyes: Conn's filters. Hmmmm.

A comparison would certainly be interesting.
    I originally had the A series NDs and GNDs and found that there was a purple hue to the images, especially if I mounted two or three together. These were bought from warehouseexpress.com. Ive since bought the P system from Conns and have yet to use them but I really hope you're wrong about Conns filters. I'll have to test..... :confused:

Advertisement