Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zee iPhone or Zee Blackberry... or Zee Nokia?

• 02-02-2009 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭

Hi peeps,

At some stage over the next year or so I'm looking to go travelling. To aid me in this endeavour I was planning on buying a iPhone as I have friends who have them and they tell me that the wireless networking is pretty sweet.
    I am looking for a few things from a phone:
    1) Networking, for anyone who has been in south america and so on, linking into a hotels wireless is much cheaper than paying for your own internet in a cafe.
    2) MP3 Player, looking to save having to bring around another device.
    3) GPS, the iPhone has a pretty good GPS system. Used the one on my sisters iPhone and for a phone, I was pretty impressed. Saves me having to get one if I felt I needed it.
    4) Tri or Quad band phone, was hoping to be able to use it from time to time abroad.

Now, I know the iPhone has all these features to one extent to the other but I was wondering. Do any of the new funky and slick Blackberries fill my requirements?

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Blackberry Storm doesn't have WiFi and nobody I've spoken to likes the tactile touch screen I haven't seen the GPS on the Storm but I'd imagine it's better than the iPhone which is dependent on an internet connection and Google maps which pretty much renders it useless if you're abroad because of the colossal data roaming charges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 EI573

iPhone all the way!

The WiFi is incredibly useful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Have you considered something like the Nokia n95 at all? I find it very durable compared to the iPhone and there's plenty of applications, email support, wifi support etc.

Your one downside I guess might be the screensize though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Id go iPhone...

What about a net book with a gps reciever added on? Just a suggestion!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

iphone, jailbreak it, unlock it so you can use local sims from each country, otherwise you will be posting here next year about your 100000000 euro data roaming bill!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

Someone actually recommended the Nokia 5800 or even better the Nokia N96. The N96 looks very nice. Anyone know what the browser is like? Does it suck as much as the N73? (one I have atm) cause the N95 internet browser is not great either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

If your going traveling with the phone it might be better to look for something compact. iPhones are big, the last hostel I was in a few people had them or the iTouch (which also has wifi so ideal for surfing at hostels) and they where cool and handy but they kept them locked in a locker the whole time and wouldn't use them as a standard phone.

hmm.. any thoughts on the BlackBerry® Curve™ 8900 smartphone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭dubmick

hmm.. any thoughts on the BlackBerry® Curve™ 8900 smartphone?

looks good, any idea when it will be available here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭real_484

have the N95 8gb great for travelling once you have access to wifi
    Use skyfire for the internet works great and then gmail/yahoo mobile for mail. fring for VOip and skype
    Sat nav work very well too, either nokia maps, or garmin.
    Took lots of photos and videos easy to upload to flickr
    overall great bit of kit.

Messed around with blackberry storm but found it to be very slow mving between or opening applications.

• Advertisement

Someone just pointed me at the Nokia N97

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/01/19/n97_launch_price/

I may just have to wait for it lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Nokia 5800? Not as good UI as the iphone but a lot better in other respects. Also better battery life and you don't have to connect it to itunes to install stuff (isnt that the case with the iphone?).

Hi peeps,

At some stage over the next year or so I'm looking to go travelling. To aid me in this endeavour I was planning on buying a iPhone as I have friends who have them and they tell me that the wireless networking is pretty sweet.
    I am looking for a few things from a phone:
    1) Networking, for anyone who has been in south america and so on, linking into a hotels wireless is much cheaper than paying for your own internet in a cafe.
    2) MP3 Player, looking to save having to bring around another device.
    3) GPS, the iPhone has a pretty good GPS system. Used the one on my sisters iPhone and for a phone, I was pretty impressed. Saves me having to get one if I felt I needed it.
    4) Tri or Quad band phone, was hoping to be able to use it from time to time abroad.

Now, I know the iPhone has all these features to one extent to the other but I was wondering. Do any of the new funky and slick Blackberries fill my requirements?

Any thoughts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

eamon234 wrote: »
    Blackberry Storm doesn't have WiFi and nobody I've spoken to likes the tactile touch screen

no that thing is a piece of ****. have to push the whole screen down to get it to do anything! i'm probably the biggest iPhone touchscreen-hater here but this thing is far worse. the virtual 'keyboard' is a pain in the arse too. less accurate than the much smaller one on the iPhone /iPod touch. but rly don't get one of those fancy touchscreen things if you're going traveling. stick to something more normal-looking especially if you going to any dodgy places

I'm almost 100% sure getting the N97 now. Its not out but its everything I always wanted nokia to release lol And actually its not that flash .... hmm well maybe a little

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

dubmick wrote: »
    looks good, any idea when it will be available here?

Its available now on the O2 site.

Advertisement