Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest 50inch plasma? online or in store

• 02-02-2009 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

Any ideas.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭ilovecars

750 harvey norman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭MURDO

As above. but samsung for 999. looked good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭podge3

£600 in Richersounds plus £20 delivery.

Its a Philips, though:(

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭1stimpressions

podge3 wrote: »
    £600 in Richersounds plus £20 delivery.

Its a Philips, though:(

Philips crap then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭ongarite

Philips crap then?

Yes, Philips Plasma's are crap IMO.

How I rate them:
    LG=really crap
    Philips=crap
    Samsung=good
    Panasonic=great
    Pioneer=fantastic.

Direct correlation between price and quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭ongarite

Best value Vs quality 50" Panasonic is £1000 from RicherSounds.
    They have a shop in Belfast and will deliver to anywhere in Ireland for £20.

http://www.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=PANA-TH50PZ80B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭slemons

ongarite wrote: »
    Panasonic=great

Designed in ireland too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭podge3

Everything Philips is crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Great price.. Anyone think the 5 year warranty worth it..

podge3 wrote: »
    Everything Philips is crap.

thanks for the replies. if just the size mattered and the tv was not being used for bluray, hd or ps3 would it be a good price for the philips? ie will it turn on and last 5 years? :P

• Advertisement

thanks for the replies. if just the size mattered and the tv was not being used for bluray, hd or ps3 would it be a good price for the philips? ie will it turn on and last 5 years? :P

bumpity bump, any ideas on this?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

How I rate them:
    LG=really crap
    Philips=crap
    Samsung=good
    Panasonic=great
    Pioneer=fantastic.

Direct correlation between price and quality.

LG/Philips use the same panel and are pretty much the same.

Pioneer /Panasonic again are pretty much working in harmony
    Pioneer seem to do the R and D and panasonic make the pannel, also Pioneer are due to pull out of the flat screen market sometime in 2010,

Samsung Series 4,5, are pretty bad 6,7,8,9 gets a lot lot better as you go up in the series with in my opinion the series 9 been as good as a top of the range Panasonic /Pioneer.

Sharp are a good mid range option.

Sony pannels are made by samsung so save your money and buy the Samsung.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

bumpity bump, any ideas on this?

I would say pay the extra few quid and get the Panasonic, there a great set and dont give much trouble !

My Dad always had this idea when buying TV's /Hi Fi's. He would spend the extra bit on what he felt was a quality brand as he felt you would get longer out of it and in a way it would future proof you !

You may not have an interest in picture quality /clarity now but what about in 4 or 5 years ? At least a good set now will still be capable of doing it then !

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

My last 3 TV's have been Philips with my current one being a 42" LCD. I've never had any bother with them and would recommend if money is an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

delly wrote: »
    My last 3 TV's have been Philips with my current one being a 42" LCD. I've never had any bother with them and would recommend if money is an issue.

Exactly, although if it is 3 tv's in the last 6 months i would start to worry... :D

Mother paid 2200 about 3 years ago for a 42" panny, dead after 6 months, was replaced and fine since. At a minium there will be 12 months warranty, if it is going to fail it will in the first 12 months.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

oleras wrote: »
    Exactly, although if it is 3 tv's in the last 6 months i would start to worry... :D

Hehe, nah over 10 years. And I bought each one as an upgrade as opposed to it failing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭alastair_doom

delly wrote: »

+1 for this

Picked up a cheap philips 42" Plasma, got daily use for about 18 months, still in perfect working order, never a minutes trouble.

When i was upgrading a few weeks back I had no hesitation going for another Philips.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭ShaunC

hang on until late March, with new models coming out the older ones will drop in price;)

Advertisement