Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi Prices

• 02-02-2009 3:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

I recently got a taxi from the airport to Stepaside and it cost me €65...I was so shocked at the price. The taxi driver even switched off the meter when we were getting close to Stepaside because the price was just becoming ridiculous. The distance from the airport to my house is 22miles. So is this a standard price for that distance? Seems really high. The last time I got a taxi from the airport which was probably about 2 years ago, it only came to €50.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Interesting you ask this the same day taxi drivers march. There's not enough trade to go around, in economics lingo: the market is over-supplied. Taxi drivers want to limit supply; economists would rather lower the price.

For future reference, the Aircoach goes to Leopardstown for €8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

I live in Swords.

It's 16-18 Euro to the airport.

Ridiculous.

We get the bus now.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,140 ✭✭✭✭beertons

A few of us rang to get a people carrier from Naas to Dame street on the friday after new years. The first crowd quoted €150. The next €75. We got the one for €75. When we were finished in the club, we walked straight out, and the pulled the first cab we saw. Dude rolled down the window and said €60 to Naas, no probs. Neither were on a meter, no reciept. And the first crowd we rang will never be called again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Interesting you ask this the same day taxi drivers march. There's not enough trade to go around, in economics lingo: the market is over-supplied. Taxi drivers want to limit supply; economists would rather lower the price.

The mechanism for lowering the price is competition rather than having a single price structure imposed by a regulator. I think we need regulation to ensure minimum standards, but each operator should be free to set his or her own prices.

It's not unworkable. In Budapest, for example, there are maximum prices set by regulation, but many operators charge less. If you want a low-cost service, you phone one of the operators that you know charges less. If you hail a cab on the street, chances are you will get one of the maximum-price services.

That operates in Wexford as well - you pay a premium for on-demand service of a taxi. But if you book in advance with some of the guys in the country you get a much better deal and service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

dresden8 wrote: »
    I live in Swords.

It's 16-18 Euro to the airport.

Ridiculous.

We get the bus now.

Oh whereabouts in Swords? and what times where you using taxis?

Applewood.

Most anytime of the day.

Applewood.

Most anytime of the day.

Odd that, I work soley nights and I would have said Applewood ( Glenellen ) to the airport at peak rate ( nighttime ) would have been €16 ( including pick up charge )and I'd estimate day time rates as being closer to €13, but if you're happy getting the bus then be happy....

but do remember that the taxi is a door to door service and is exclusive, not bus stop to bus stop, shared

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Odd that, I work soley nights and I would have said Applewood ( Glenellen ) to the airport at peak rate ( nighttime ) would have been €16 ( including pick up charge )and I'd estimate day time rates as being closer to €13, but if you're happy getting the bus then be happy....

but do remember that the taxi is a door to door service and is exclusive, not bus stop to bus stop, shared

Haven't paid that low in a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭MaryCat!

Taxi prices are high in Ireland but not as bad as in New York or London

• Advertisement

Haven't paid that low in a long time.

I'll have to double check it next time I get a pick up in Applewood, which cab company did you use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

The black cabs in Belfast are increidbly expensive.
    The locals don't use them, only tourists and the naive, that's me :o

I've never been ripped off by a Dublin taxi and if one tried a scenic trip I'd call them on it.

Used the black cabs in Belfast, my bogger accent clearly showed I wasn't a local, I didn't know the routes and my mates from Belfast laughed at me when I told them what I was being charged

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 lcom

For future reference, the Aircoach goes to Leopardstown for €8.

Yes, I know about the aircoach but it just takes forever and i was really tired that night after a long flight. I'm never charged the same price for the same journey, so it seems that taxi drivers do have the power to charge what they like.
    Getting a taxi from the city home has come down a lot which is a good thing. If this is a result of there being more taxis and greater competition, then I'm all for.

The mechanism for lowering the price is competition rather than having a single price structure imposed by a regulator. I think we need regulation to ensure minimum standards, but each operator should be free to set his or her own prices.

It's not unworkable. In Budapest, for example, there are maximum prices set by regulation, but many operators charge less. If you want a low-cost service, you phone one of the operators that you know charges less. If you hail a cab on the street, chances are you will get one of the maximum-price services.
    I disagree to a large extent. The taxi market is extremely informal so I think strict price regulation is necessary to prevent consumers getting ripped off. I also think prices could be a good bit lower than at the moment.

The mechanism exists for consumers and drivers to charge less than the fare set by the Regulator; it's just a pain in the hole system at the moment.

I disagree to a large extent. The taxi market is extremely informal so I think strict price regulation is necessary to prevent consumers getting ripped off. I also think prices could be a good bit lower than at the moment.

The mechanism exists for consumers and drivers to charge less than the fare set by the Regulator; it's just a pain in the hole system at the moment.

Budapest has a system for protecting consumers from being ripped off ("preventing" is a bigger challenge). It's simple: the rates are painted on the taxi doors, on the outside in large enough print to be easily legible. And bear in mind what I already said: maximum rates are set by regulation.

What would be wrong with a system where a taxi operator could legally and conveniently put a sticker on the car proclaiming "I charge scale fare less 10%"?

Budapest has a system for protecting consumers from being ripped off ("preventing" is a bigger challenge). It's simple: the rates are painted on the taxi doors, on the outside in large enough print to be easily legible. And bear in mind what I already said: maximum rates are set by regulation.

What would be wrong with a system where a taxi operator could legally and conveniently put a sticker on the car proclaiming "I charge scale fare less 10%"?
    Nothing at all. That could happen in the current system, though afaik he'd have to get you to sign a document to say you accept it first!

Nothing at all. That could happen in the current system, though afaik he'd have to get you to sign a document to say you accept it first!

When the last round of fare increases was announced, operators were obliged to have their meters recalibrated -- and pay a fee of the order of €180 for it. Some operators said that they would prefer to operate at the existing fares, but were told that was not allowed. [A big "afaik" qualification: what I remember of radio discussions a few months back.] So it is made difficult for operators to compete on price.

Yes, but it's possible to agree a price with the driver before the trip starts. However, afaik, both of you have to sign a document to this effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I have completely* stopped using them since the last increase and so have most people I know.

I think a LOT of people (I know anyway) have decided they are too expensive to use and arranging lifts and so on.

* bar one time when I HAD to - no public transport and no lift available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

When the last round of fare increases was announced, operators were obliged to have their meters recalibrated -- and pay a fee of the order of €180 for it. Some operators said that they would prefer to operate at the existing fares, but were told that was not allowed. [A big "afaik" qualification: what I remember of radio discussions a few months back.] So it is made difficult for operators to compete on price.

The most recent fare increases were what the taxi unions/federation lobbied for. Actually they were pissed off as it wasnt quite as much as they were looking for.

I remember at the time reading from a minister or other that the fare increases were NOT obligatory - they were simply the new maximum legal charge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭oisindoyle

beertons wrote: »
    A few of us rang to get a people carrier from Naas to Dame street on the friday after new years. The first crowd quoted €150. The next €75. We got the one for €75. When we were finished in the club, we walked straight out, and the pulled the first cab we saw. Dude rolled down the window and said €60 to Naas, no probs. Neither were on a meter, no reciept. And the first crowd we rang will never be called again!

All fares HAVE to be on the meter .Thats the law.All taxi drivers are obliged to issue receipts .Thats the LAW..
    The companies you rang probably gave an estimate of the fare .Are you sure they were taxi companys or hackney companys ,,BIG DIFFERENCE...You cannot give the exact fare over the phone for a number of reasons if its a taxi .Namely all fares have to be on the meter and also traffic congestion .You could get a taxi and get stuck in traffic say on the Naas Rd or where ever and obviuosly the meter ticks over while stopped or driving under 20kms an hour

Yes, but it's possible to agree a price with the driver before the trip starts. However, afaik, both of you have to sign a document to this effect.

Not quite true

oisindoyle wrote: »
    Not quite true

Can you elaborate?

I am of the opinion that it should be convenient for taxi operators to compete on price (subject to maximum rates being set). Is this possible under present rules?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Not quite true

as long as the customer and the driver agree a price before setting off then the meter doesnt have to be turned on. BUT a waiver has to be signed before pulling off by both the driver and the customer.

kceire wrote: »
    as long as the customer and the driver agree a price before setting off then the meter doesnt have to be turned on. BUT a waiver has to be signed before pulling off by both the driver and the customer.

Again not quite, to legitimately avail of the waiver forms ( the only time you are legaly allowed to do a journey without the meter on ), the journey must be pre-booked rather than hailed off the street or a rank, however, provided that it is agreed before the commencement of hire it possible to ask the driver for a discounted or fixed fare but in such cases the meter should still be activated and at the end of the journey the agreed price be paid, again, however, if you require a receipt for the journey the driver should fill in the bottom of the receipt detailing the discount given, so that you don't try to claim the full fare of any kind of expense account.....ain't life simple being a legit taxi driver...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

That operates in Wexford as well - you pay a premium for on-demand service of a taxi. But if you book in advance with some of the guys in the country you get a much better deal and service.

In Dublin, if you book ahead you get a €2 callout fee (or is it more - I only get taxis when the alternative is dying of hypothermia when walking home in the rain).

In Dublin, if you book ahead you get a €2 callout fee (or is it more - I only get taxis when the alternative is dying of hypothermia when walking home in the rain).

Theres a universal taxi price now for the whole of Ireland .Every county charges the same .
    If you phone for a taxi theres a booking fee extra of 2euro that applies to every taxi throughout Ireland .Thats the law.
    If its a hackney company you phone you get a Hackney cab .Their charges are different......

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Theres a universal taxi price now for the whole of Ireland .Every county charges the same .
    If you phone for a taxi theres a booking fee extra of 2euro that applies to every taxi throughout Ireland .Thats the law.
    If its a hackney company you phone you get a Hackney cab .Their charges are different......

There is a universal maximum taxi price for the whole country. Taxi drivers can charge less if they want. But, in Dublin anyway, they don't. The other poster said that in Wexford it's cheaper if you book the taxi, and I have no reason to doubt him.

I've gotten free rides in a taxi and I've given well above the cost when the service was good. I haven't broken any law

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭todolist

Taxi fares are too dear in Dublin.If they were cheaper more people would use them.It doesn't make economic sense to see so many taxis driving around empty because people aren't prepared to pay the high fare.And comparisons to New York and London are a bit silly.Dublin is just a village compared to those huge cities.

Advertisement