Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice needed - lens stopped by An Post, duty due.

• 02-02-2009 3:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭

I ordered a lens from HK and it has been sitting in the Mail Centre for a few days. I finally managed to talk to them today - they want to see a Paypal receipt and then when they deliver the lens I will have to pay some duty on it. Does anyone know what is the going rate for a camera lens and how much should I expect to pay? :( Cheers!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Email them the paypal receipt and they'll tell you when it will be delivered and how much to pay.

I recently was charged approx €19 on an item worth about €50 or €60.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,515 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I expect they're looking for 21.5% VAT since you're buying from outside the EU. As far as I know there's no excise duty on photographic equipment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Ok, thanks for that. This item cost about €280 :eek: so I reckon I will owe more than €19. Is some of that figure a fixed charge for clearance of taxes or something like that? The ebay seller says that in the event of the item being stopped to contact him to sort it out, but i don't know what he can do to help? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Info in the FAQ (new VAT rate is 21.5%)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Arciphel wrote: »
    Ok, thanks for that. This item cost about €280 :eek: so I reckon I will owe more than €19. Is some of that figure a fixed charge for clearance of taxes or something like that? The ebay seller says that in the event of the item being stopped to contact him to sort it out, but i don't know what he can do to help? :rolleyes:
    So you'll be paying close to €60.

eBay seller can't do anything. Anything bought outside the EU and shipped in is liable to be stopped by customs and the appropriate taxes added on, it's just a lottery whether it happens to you or not. For instance the item I was charged for recently was the first time it has ever happened to me.

For small priced items it's not a big deal, but if you're spending a lot then the added taxes may not make it the deal you thought it would be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

Which HK seller did you get the lens from?

Thanks all - yes, it's my first time getting something stopped too :pac::pac::pac: glad some of the other "high value items" made it thru unscathed.

From the FAQ, you pay 6.7% duty on the price of the lens (in Euro), then 21.5% on the total price (lens cost, lens duty, shipping cost).

There may also be an admin charge (from €5-€20) charged by the shipping agent.

Once all that is paid, your item will be released and delivered to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Arciphel wrote: »

You will be charged approx. between €72 and €100, it also happened me :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

Hey arciphel, which HK seller did you get the lens from?

• Advertisement

bmw316 wrote: »
    get the ebay seller to tell them it was a gift

A bit late if there's an invoice with it, and they're asking for the paypal receipt.

Revenue fraud is a criminal offence. :rolleyes:

You'll never take me alive copper!!! LOL

No, I am not going to lie, to use a Cowen-ism, I see it as my "patriotic duty" (pardon the pun) to pay what's due.

The ebay seller was called sighterz-uk. I paid ~€45 for shipping and he used the cheapest method possible, the package sat in HK for something like 4 days before shipping to me due to his cheapness. Won't be using him again. Used URgalaxy and Kea among others before, with delivery thru Fedex/UPS, and never had a problem. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Daz R1

Yep the good-ol Feds caught me too,Was there last Fri in An Post HQ on the Nangor Rd picking up my 50mm from HK, ordered on the 8th and arrived Fri 30th,so having shelled out €277 yoyo's the Feds stuck me for another €66yoyo's ,€343 in total ,and heres the kicker ,I had a €100 voucher for the Blanch centre and the camera centre in there was offering me the same lense for €380..... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

This is the reason I wont chance saving 200 quid on a 5d 2 - the duty on that would make you cry...

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Daz R1

Solyad wrote: »
    This is the reason I wont chance saving 200 quid on a 5d 2 - the duty on that would make you cry...

Yep excatly ! ....It would want to be more of a saving :D

And Ive just taught of another kicker ..... Im heading back to Dubai in March (were I got my 450d in May ) and prob could have got it cheaper :(

But maybe I might start looking at a macro or fisheye to add to the collection :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

I reckon you will have to pay €85 - €90 between V.A.T, Duty and Post Office fee.
    This was brought up here last year, cant finf thread at moment but the fee can be based on full market value of the item and not what it says on the invoice.
    No companies are exempt from being hit no matter what they say and your seller can do nothing about it. I drive post van and more and more parcels are being hit especially if bought from outside E.U.
    Its well worth doing your sums before you buy as the gap is closing a LITTLE. But we are still being screwed solid.
    Example,
    Lowepro Mini Treker A.W £73 Newry or €139-149 in Dublin
    Lowepro Flipside 300 similar difference:confused:
    So sorry Mr. Cowen and Ms Coughlan I have to tighten my belt and on this occasion wont buy in the Republic. Now why cant Irish shops sit up and take note of whats happening. If the price difference was €20 - €25 I would buy in Dublin but this is a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭cooligPhoto

Any time you think of buying outside the EU you have to consider the customs charges as part of the price then compare with EU prices.

Last year I bought a D2X from the US - cost me ~€600 plus another ~€150 duty. Still cheaper than the one I just bought in Dublin for €900 a few weeks ago.

I also just bought a lens in Japan for a good few thoushand euro - took just 4 days to get to me and wasn't even checked by customs. I was expecting a ~€1000 bill from customs - would still have been cheap.

LeoB wrote: »
    I reckon you will have to pay €85 - €90 between V.A.T, Duty and Post Office fee.

Leo B, you are bang on the money here! Should be getting it delivered tomorrow anyway, after all the hassle & delays I just want to actually get the goods!

Advertisement