Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MMA League Opening Round 2009

• 02-02-2009 3:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭

The MMA League is back in 2009! The first event of the year will be in the new Kingfisher Sports Hall in NUI, Galway on Saturday the 28th of February. Weigh-ins will run from 10 until 11 with the first fight being at 11:30.
    Forms should be sent in by Friday the 20th of February.

After the success at the Dublin Leg, this year will include Teen Divisions; the League has long been a place for martial artists of all persuasions to dip their toes in the MMA ocean, now the League will offer the same opportunity to younger fighters.

Teens will ONLY be accepted in advance, NO registration on the day. The forms must be sent in and include a signature from a parent of Guardian. A permission slip from the parent or Guardian at weigh in.

As always please ensure you are covered by your club's insurance to compete in the League.

Lastly, the bad news! We have been forced to increase the entry fee of the League from 20 euro to 30 per entrant. This is the first price increase since the League's inception in 2004 and is necessary if the League is to remain in existence.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭mark.leonard

4 weeks left to the League kick off, which means only three weeks to get your entry forms in. Don't leave it until the last minute, get those forms in!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭agardiner22

What is the heaviest category and is there a beginner section

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

There is a Novice section for each weight Class so if this will be your first go around you'll be against guys with the same experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭agardiner22

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

No problem agardiner.

• Advertisement

What is the heaviest category and is there a beginner section

The MMA League Website has all the information you need about divisions and skill levels, have a read there and give me a shout. Feel free to call or mail me if there is still something not entirely clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

How long should one train before entering the league?? What are the rules regarding stand up? Can you kick to the head? I know amateur MMA is different to Pro.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ch252

How long should one train before entering the league??

Until you feel you're ready:) its an amateur competition so you don't need to train for it like you would a fight in a show but you do need to prepare to a certain extent.
    What are the rules regarding stand up? Can you kick to the head? I know amateur MMA is different to Pro.

No strikes to the head standing or no the ground, no striking at different levels. No standing submissions except guillotine, no slamming out of submission, no neck cranks, thats decided by whether or not your forearm is on the throat. Knee's to the body standing and on the ground. No twisting attacks on the knee or ankle.

But don't take my word for it... http://www.mmaleague.com/ its all there

darragh-k wrote: »
    Until you feel you're ready:) its an amateur competition so you don't need to train for it like you would a fight in a show but you do need to prepare to a certain extent.

No strikes to the head standing or no the ground, no striking at different levels. No standing submissions except guillotine, no slamming out of submission, no neck cranks, thats decided by whether or not your forearm is on the throat. Knee's to the body standing and on the ground. No twisting attacks on the knee or ankle.

But don't take my word for it... http://www.mmaleague.com/ its all there

Looked at the site, it sounds like a lot of fun. I'll enter when I am more experienced. I might pop down to one and see what its like, and spy on potential competition;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

Unfortunately I won't be able to win "most controversial refereeing decision" at this one, but I hope someone will at least have the foresight to bring doughnuts to the weighins in my stead.

• Advertisement

Looked at the site, it sounds like a lot of fun. I'll enter when I am more experienced. I might pop down to one and see what its like, and spy on potential competition;)

There is a teen division for similarly inexperienced fighters your age, I would talk to your coach to see whether he thinks you're ready to enter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

Clive wrote: »
    Unfortunately I won't be able to win "most controversial refereeing decision" at this one, but I hope someone will at least have the foresight to bring doughnuts to the weighins in my stead.

I'm more than willing to take on that responsibility. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭ryoishin

Pride fighter just do it.

Its a good experience.

I kept saying i did nt think I was ready but on the day you ll be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ch252

+1, you have the uncertainty for the first few times but as soon as you get off the mat you're dying to get back on!

ryoishin wrote: »
    Pride fighter just do it.

Its a good experience.

I kept saying i did nt think I was ready but on the day you ll be fine.

I might do the Dublin leg later this year:)

Advertisement