Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eye Laser Surgery

Options
  • 02-02-2009 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭

Hi I am considering getting my eyes lasered. I was wondering if anyone has had this done in Cork, and if you could tell me where you got it done, and about your experience, please.
    Someone told me a girl from mallow is now nearly blind from getting it done, so Id love to hear all the good and bad before I go for my consultation.
    Thanks..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

If I were you I would go to Dublin to have it done, they have bag-loads of experience and alot of clinics I don't even know if Cork have clinics for Laser Eye Surgery.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1012

That link is for the Eyecare forum, you may have more success over there!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭sunshinegirl

got mine done with optical express in mahon point.They have a shop there and the consultation is free unlike other places which vary from €80 up. I know for a fact that they wont do a procedure if your not suitable. I am happy with my vision and i now have better than 20/20. Its worth doing some research.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭gramlab

Wife got hers done in Shanakiel last year (guy in a clinic beside briar rose in Douglas - cant remember his name).

Sore at first but she is very happy with it. She did a lot of research on the medical side if things. As regards where and price, in the end she just went with a recommendation from a friend that had it done.

People will always talk about the bad experiences more than the good ones;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 pinksue

My Mom had the surgery done two years ago in a place in Dublin and had no complications! She originally wore glass all the time, and now after the surgery she only needs them when it's dark (eg reading a menu in a restaurant), but besides that she doesn't carry them. In her opinion it is definitely a life changing experience! One things is to allow yourself a lot of recovery time, she wasn't able to drive for a number of weeks afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Had it done about 2 years ago - the best thing i ever did - ya it was uncomfortable for about a week after but the results were evident the next day - like your eyes would get tired alrite from looking at the tv or watever but it's worth it cos now i can see perfectly - got it done in Shankiel also - great guy there - Dr. Conall Hurley i think is his name. There are risks of course and you have to sign a consent form saying that you understand the risks but the percentage is pretty low.

In short - IT'S WELL WORTH IT!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

There is an eye laser clinic on the model farm road, just on the turn-off towards CIT, ie near the public library on the Model Farm rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

"

A guy in work got it done on the Model Farm Road. Paid a fortune to get the "best surgeon in Europe" but was well happy with the results.

I haven't heard of anyone who didn't have sore eyes after using the clinic in Shanakiel - one girl had puffy red eyes for six months afterwards. In contrast I got mine done in the Wellington Eye Clinic in Dublin and had zero side-effects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭star.chaser

you hear stories about people having problems but most of that is exagerated. got mine lasered a few years back. had a long consultation before and had all my questions lined up. the clinic I got mine done in had done 20,000 procedures and only two people had problems. well thats what they told me anyway! their's always a risk with any type of surgery. it's all about weighing it up with the benefits and it doesn't really matter where you get it done cause the surgeon doesn't do that much. he'll just prepare you for the machine. very quick procedure as well. your lying under the machine for about 20 minutes. the laser only operates for about 20-30 seconds on each eye. no pain involved whatsoever. only for the fact that the surgeon talks you through whats happening, you would hardly know the laser was operating. a distinctive smell kind of like singed hair gives it away though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭*Derek*

I got it done with optical express in mahon also. Operation in dublin. All i can say is its excellent. D'ont think about it for too long and just do it. You wont regret it. I drove home the day after from dublin and have never looked back since.

A tip. Get to a bed as quick as you can after operation. Take a few panadols and sleep it off. You'll wake up fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

Thanks so much for your comments. Im going to book a consultation next week!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement