Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the cut off date for editing/deleting a post?

Options
  • 02-02-2009 4:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭

How long does do you have to edit delete a post before the Edit button vanishes frmo your posts? Or has it to do with the number of posts you have , ie. you can only edit/delete your last 20 ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Nope, it's time dependent. Two days afair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Two days ? :eek:
    Jaysis, can mods of the appropriate forum edit/delete stuff after that ?

(I bet you're reading through all my posts now :p)

Yeah, mods have no cut-off, they can edit stuff in their own forums at any time.

Is there a specific reason for the cut-off ?

To stop people changing their posts :)

If you add something a thread, you'll cause havoc by going back in and removing it later on. If you have something to add after that length of time, a new reply is more appropriate.

There was an issue a number of years back where a poster took it upon himself to start removing all of his old posts (hundreds of them), and turning a whole pile of threads into complete mush.

I personally think two days is too long. 2 hours seems more appropriate.

• Advertisement

I see, I thought it'd be a more technical reason. Has anyone suggested or thought of perhaps removing it ?

It's been suggested and shot down. Because people will go back and delete all of their posts. Hundreds of them.

Ok, cheers :)

How about upping the limit to a week ?
    With the obvious exceptions of the busy forums like Soccer and After Hours - they're the forums most likely to suffer from nutters posting abuse or nonsense and then editing it to say "Oh I didn't say anything"

Advertisement