Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

winter riding

• 02-02-2009 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

just recently back into the bikes (thanks for the comments on my other thread on getting the bike).

i will be using the bike all year round.

reading on a few sites that the best stuff to protect the bike is ACF50.... i've never heard of htis stuff - an anti-corrosion spray... i presume WD40 does the same thing? or does anyone know where i'd get this ACF stuff?

also, just wondering if anyone has gone for one of these HID light conversion kits?? are they much use??

last thing - i think i saw a post by stefanno2002 somewhere talking about buying the knox contour back protector. did you get this in the end?? how do you find it? i'm thinking of ordering one on-line but would like to try one on first i think.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

just recently back into the bikes (thanks for the comments on my other thread on getting the bike).

i will be using the bike all year round.

reading on a few sites that the best stuff to protect the bike is ACF50.... i've never heard of htis stuff - an anti-corrosion spray... i presume WD40 does the same thing? or does anyone know where i'd get this ACF stuff?
    Never used this stuff myself but I'm hearing good things about it! I wouldn't think it's the same as WD40 though as WD40 is very greasy and eventually evaporated (i.e. not a long-lasting protection).
    also, just wondering if anyone has gone for one of these HID light conversion kits?? are they much use??
    I wouldn't do it if I were you. HID works well over short distances but you will lose in long distance visibility! BIG TIME! Google HID Light Conversion and you'll see that it's not all good...
    last thing - i think i saw a post by stefanno2002 somewhere talking about buying the knox contour back protector. did you get this in the end?? how do you find it? i'm thinking of ordering one on-line but would like to try one on first i think.
    No, I still haven't bought one because funds are low and I'd have to go up to Newry to try them on. You're right in thinking of getting one but do try a few on to make sure you get the good size! Don't buy blindly online! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

I wouldn't do it if I were you. HID works well over short distances but you will lose in long distance visibility! BIG TIME! Google HID Light Conversion and you'll see that it's not all good...

Where did you hear this??? I heard and read the opposite :confused:
    I have one for the Bandit just waiting to get it fittted

HID = much brighter at short distance & useless at long distance

My flatmate did it to his car. He swicthed back the veny next day! lol

Did you just buy the bulb or the full system?

If it's just the bulb I'll do it for you and you can tell me what you think!

Did you just buy the bulb or the full system?

If it's just the bulb I'll do it for you and you can tell me what you think!

The bulbs aint worth cr@p, i bought the conversion system sure if it was just the bulb i would do it i know im not mechanically minded but i think i could change a bulb LOL

• Advertisement

The bulbs aint worth cr@p, i bought the conversion system sure if it was just the bulb i would do it i know im not mechanically minded but i think i could change a bulb LOL
    You never know!

The bulbs on their own are cr@p. The full system is apparently better than stock. This will be especially true on the Bandit!

You never know!

The bulbs on their own are cr@p. The full system is apparently better than stock. This will be especially true on the Bandit!

LMFAO.......... we will see:D

Yeah the bulbs are pretty crap on their own as they are not getting the correct power to the bulb to get the full effect of the HID, you need to conversion kit which has the ballast to boost the power out-put.

Must drop up ta ya soon mate for a spin;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

LMFAO.......... we will see:D

Yeah the bulbs are pretty crap on their own as they are not getting the correct power to the bulb to get the full effect of the HID, you need to conversion kit which has the ballast to boost the power out-put.

Must drop up ta ya soon mate for a spin;)

I fitted a full kit (bulbs & ballasts) to mine just before the evenings got dark last year. Big difference in light - I don't notice any difference in the distance - only that I can see much more, and every fooker on the road can see me.

Going to put a set of HID spots on next :D

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭what to do?

colm_c wrote: »
    I fitted a full kit (bulbs & ballasts) to mine just before the evenings got dark last year. Big difference in light - I don't notice any difference in the distance - only that I can see much more, and every fooker on the road can see me.

Going to put a set of HID spots on next :D

where did you get the kit? and how much? was it hard to fit? i'm about as mechanically minded as a chimp. do you have a single headlight on your bike or two?? and last thing, does it affect high low beam??

where did you get the kit? and how much? was it hard to fit? i'm about as mechanically minded as a chimp. do you have a single headlight on your bike or two?? and last thing, does it affect high low beam??

I got mine from www.hid50.com - he's based in the uk and does kits for certain bikes, including mine, but will supply the bulbs and ballasts if he doesn't have a kit.

I think mine cost £210, for 2 ballasts, 2 bulbs, pre-wired light caps and a mounting bracket for my bike.

I've got 2 headlights, one dip and one high beam, so both are HIDed. I've had to adjust the light throw because it was far too high and shining in cage's mirrors in front, which wasn't noticeable with the stock bulbs.

There is a fitting for bikes with one bulb - it's got a little motor/shield on it to change the direction of the beam from high to low and vice versa.

• Advertisement

Oh and it took about 30 minutes to fit - 25 of which was removing the screen to get at the light caps.

This was only because the light caps were pre-wired, probably would have taken a while longer if not.

My HID's are in the process of being fitted, i only have the 1 bulb, H4 so i only had to get 1 kit think it cost around 90 Euro delivered, check them out on ebay there are loads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Do a search on www.ukgser.com for info on ACF50, they swear by it.

As for HID, I had them on a previous bike, dip and full beam, and it is the best money I ever spent. It lit up road signs a kilometre away.

MrP

Got the HID kit fitted last nite and all i can say is WOW........... it is class even on the normal beam it seems to continue on for miles down the road

Got the HID kit fitted last nite and all i can say is WOW........... it is class even on the normal beam it seems to continue on for miles down the road
    KEWL! ;)

You'll have to show me that G!

KEWL! ;)

You'll have to show me that G!

Will do mate they are fooking class, also got the scottoiler fitted as well as my new chain and sprockets. Just waiting on my new can to be delivered can't wait to hear the sweet sound off it:P

Will do mate they are fooking class, also got the scottoiler fitted as well as my new chain and sprockets. Just waiting on my new can to be delivered can't wait to hear the sweet sound off it:P
    Jesus! I see the recession is having no impact on you! (Says the guy spending €5000 to prepare for the next racing season...).

And next time make sure you get matching pitches when you order a chain & sprockets! :p:D

Jesus! I see the recession is having no impact on you! (Says the guy spending €5000 to prepare for the next racing season...).

And next time make sure you get matching pitches when you order a chain & sprockets! :p:D

Oh that chian and sprockets story is a classic, i will have to explain it to you when i see ya, basically the first chain was the right one, trust me i will explain when i see ya LOL

Oh that chian and sprockets story is a classic, i will have to explain it to you when i see ya, basically the first chain was the right one, trust me i will explain when i see ya LOL
    Don't feel bad anyway! I bought a new chain & sprockets and the lad on the phone goes to me "what pitch are you looking for?" to which I answered "Croke Park". LOL :D

Didn't have a clue...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Tom fit that for ye? seen a bandit in his shop last week, looked spotless! something about a HID and you ordered the wrong chain

• Advertisement

Don't feel bad anyway! I bought a new chain & sprockets and the lad on the phone goes to me "what pitch are you looking for?" to which I answered "Croke Park". LOL :D

Didn't have a clue...

:D:D:D Well basically what happened was i ordered the chain and sprockets from the website for a Bandit 600 K4, which is what mine is. Anyway got the parts and was down in the garage with Tom and when he went to fit the chain it seemed to be too big, as in there was a tiny bit of sideways movement when it was on the sproket. We decided to order the 525 chain as i received the 530 DID one and the 525 is the standard one for almost any bike. When i receved this that wouldn't fit on the sprocket as it was too small:rolleyes:

Ended up putting the 530 one on so i now have nice shiny new DID Gold x-ring 525 112 link chain for sale:D All is grand now:P

RasTa wrote: »
    Tom fit that for ye? seen a bandit in his shop last week, looked spotless! something about a HID and you ordered the wrong chain

He did indeed, go to Tom for all my stuff. See above post regarding the chain LOL.

That HID broke his balls, but as usual Tom sorted it no bother as he had to make the wires longer, also got the scottoiler fitted its prob the best invention EVER!!!!!!

RasTa wrote: »
    That's the G-man alright! He's a legend! He's also on YouTube if you want to have a look at his beautiful mug! :D:D :P

:D:D:D Well basically what happened was i ordered the chain and sprockets from the website for a Bandit 600 K4, which is what mine is. Anyway got the parts and was down in the garage with Tom and when he went to fit the chain it seemed to be too big, as in there was a tiny bit of sideways movement when it was on the sproket. We decided to order the 525 chain as i received the 530 DID one and the 525 is the standard one for almost any bike. When i receved this that wouldn't fit on the sprocket as it was too small:rolleyes:

Ended up putting the 530 one on so i now have nice shiny new DID Gold x-ring 525 112 link chain for sale:D All is grand now:P
    Fooken hell that must have been a nightmare! :eek:

Were you left without the bike for a long time?

Fooken hell that must have been a nightmare! :eek:

Were you left without the bike for a long time?

Yeah hadn't got the bike for about a week, was well freaked but luckily it was when we had that crappy weather, but i still missed not having the bike

Advertisement