Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COPD

Options
  • 02-02-2009 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭

Hi, my mother suffers from Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (copd), she was diagnosed last summer, and has to be on oxygen 24 hours a day.
    She is doing well, but since being diagnosed she has never got a call back for x rays, or out patients appointments. A health nurse visits every 2 weeks, and she had a physio attending once a week for six weeks.
    She feels at a loss as she doesnt know if she should be getting tests and she gets no answers from health nurse.
    I am hoping that someone who suffers from this disease or who has a family member, could share their experiences with me?
    Or does anyone know of a support group (we are from Cork), or chat room where my mother to speak to others with this disease?
    Any help would be brilliant, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Is there any chance a family member could join her for the next visit of the public health nurse, to help her get answers to the necessary questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

you should also get a home visit from an occupational therapist. How does your mom manage bathing/ getting in/ out of bed?

Simply ask the PHN/ Physio to refer you..waiting lists vary. Some hospitals like st james´s in dublin offer support groups..you local health centre might have a leaflet on the condition. the hse might have a published leaflet on the condition, id give them a ring. Mayoclinic.com i good site for information on conditions and i found http://copdsupport.ie which might have some info for irish based groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

My dad is her carer, but she is pretty ok, compared to other sufferers I have seen. Thanks very much, I have her looking at that website, its very helpful!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭aare

Cadyboo,

There is an whole lively, thriving international online community of people with COPD and their carers for your Mum and Dad to join:

http://www.copd-international.com

They have exceptionally friendly message boards and a mailing list where, not only will there be people who can answer any questions they have, but they will probably find that they make a lot of great new friends.

There are other groups too but they can be very US orientated and political.

I am not sure how it works in Cork, but here in Dublin, if she hasn't been seen by a consultant yet it is probably time to be getting your GP to chase that up and see why not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭RLJ

Cadyboo wrote: »
    She feels at a loss as she doesnt know if she should be getting tests and she gets no answers from health nurse.
    Write to the GP or the manager of the local heal;th board she is under. Don't bother phoning, put in writing. No response go to Ombudsman http://www.ombudsman.gov.ie/en/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

Thanks very much for your replies. My mother has a new health nurse, and she is doing fantastic, so things are looking up! Thanks again.x

Advertisement