Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bosingwa issues apology

• 02-02-2009 4:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭

Chelsea defender Jose Bosingwa has apologised for his challenge on Yossi Benayoun.

Towards the end of Liverpool's 2-0 victory over Chelsea, the Israeli was wasting some time by shielding the ball near the corner flag.

Bosingwa then just kicked Benayoun in the back with a horrific challenge - he escaped punishment at the time as referee Mike Riley and his assistant, who was stood just a couple of feet away, took no action.

The Football Association is now waiting for Riley's report, amid calls for action to be taken against Bosingwa.

But the Portuguese man will hope to ease tensions and avoid punishment, after he offered his apology.

"I apologise for what I did and it was never my intention to hurt him," Bosingwa told the club's official website.

"I know it was wrong and I apologise."

Source

I only saw the highlights today and saw his 'challenge' and couldn't believe nothing was done about it.
    A few of points - two lines in bold above - is it as they suggest trying to get the apology in to avoid being punished? It wasn't his intention to hurt him - what was he doing scratching an itch he had on his back that he couldn't reach?
    And what the hell is up with referees this year? Firstly, I don't see how the referee didn't see it but what planet was the referee's assistant on? Other than flag for a throw in or corner are they much use? They're happy to get involved in an innocuous situation but when it matters they rarely seem to do anything. Especially in something so glaring and literally right in front of him what exactly is his excuse for not making damn sure the referee knew about it?
    And what do you think the punishment should be assuming the FA admit they made a mistake? Is it just a match ban or does it warrant something more? I think it's worse than a one match. Could you compare it to Cantona's infamous lunge the only difference being one was a player and one was a spectator?

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Source

I only saw the highlights today and saw his 'challenge' and couldn't believe nothing was done about it.
    A few of points - two lines in bold above - is it as they suggest trying to get the apology in to avoid being punished? It wasn't his intention to hurt him - what was he doing scratching an itch he had on his back that he couldn't reach?
    And what the hell is up with referees this year? Firstly, I don't see how the referee didn't see it but what planet was the referee's assistant on? Other than flag for a throw in or corner are they much use? They're happy to get involved in an innocuous situation but when it matters they rarely seem to do anything. Especially in something so glaring and literally right in front of him what exactly is his excuse for not making damn sure the referee knew about it?
    And what do you think the punishment should be assuming the FA admit they made a mistake? Is it just a match ban or does it warrant something more? I think it's worse than a one match. Could you compare it to Cantona's infamous lunge the only difference being one was a player and one was a spectator?

No.

Should get a 3 match ban at the very least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Well Cantona got off lightly imo and if nothing happens Bosingwa then it's also a farce.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

should be hung

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

mayordenis wrote: »
    should be hung

Hanged?
    :D

You're being a bit silly aren't you?

Edit: 1000th post

aye can barely remember it tbh, memory hazy, amsterdam good.

• Advertisement

mayordenis wrote: »
    aye can barely remember it tbh, memory hazy, amsterdam good.

I think the fact he slowed down and used it as more of a push rather than a lunge may save him from what could have been a very long ban.

lolbosingwanewqs2.gif

as above should be a lenghty ban at least 3/5 games, wouldn't argue with more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Overeaction in fairness, it's not like he broke the players leg. If something gets done about this and nothing about that horror tackle from Arca then it's a farce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Havent been paying much attention to the Premiership this season but caught yesterdays game. Mindboggling how ref/assistant didnt do anything. I was stunned. Is the standard of officiating that low across the board?

Tristram wrote: »
    Havent been paying much attention to the Premiership this season but caught yesterdays game. Mindboggling how ref/assistant didnt do anything. I was stunned. Is the standard of officiating that low across the board?

Well he did do something - he flagged for a decision against Liverpool.
    Now that is mind-boggling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

Not to panic. It was only bennyune :pac:

Tristram wrote: »
    Is the standard of officiating that low across the board?

Usually just when Rob Styles is in charge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Well he did do something - he flagged for a decision against Liverpool.
    Now that is mind-boggling.

True :D wonder what he saw...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

I thought it was a bit of a laugh. He was just annoyed at Benayoun holding the ball up and shoved him over the line with his foot. Yeah he shouldn't have done it, but comparisons with Cantona? It was a cheeky shove for crying out loud. Not exactly something that would end a career.

Talk about overreaction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Obviously it's a foul and probably a red card, but its not a dangerous action and I think its being blown out of proportion because the lol ref and linesman missed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

i cannot believe he didnt get a card for that......

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I think the fact he slowed down and used it as more of a push rather than a lunge may save him from what could have been a very long ban.

I think that he slowed down indicates premeditation rather than a rush of blood to the head and incriminates him more.

i cannot believe he didnt get a card for that......

Card? He didn't even get a free given against him. :D
    dfx- wrote: »
    I think that he slowed down indicates premeditation rather than a rush of blood to the head and incriminates him more.

I suppose you could argue that alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

FA confirm no action to be taken against Bosingwa.

****ing joke.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Bosingwa gets away with anti-semitic abuse - FA

Not really suprised :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 114 ✭✭gd1987

How are the FA just letting this go? Absoloute bull****!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I expect the Red card for Lamps to be rescinded, Rafa will write it down this biased treatment in his fhacts book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Bosingwa gets away with anti-semitic abuse

What?

Did he say something anti-jewish to Yossi?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Joke that he got away with it.

FA are opening themselfs to a lot of trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

They gave the red card to the wrong Blue yesterday.

I laughed that the ref didn't book Bosingwa at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

The F.A are a joke. A farce!! How they are not taking action on that is incredible. What was the linesman thinking?
    My brother's summarisation of the incident is best. You know when Ted had to kick Bishop Brennan up the ar$e and he did it and just pretended that he didn't and Len couldn't believe that he had done it. That's what happened yesterday. The linesman and ref simply couldn't believe that Boswinga had actually done it so just assumed they'd imagined it.
    In a couple of days time, Mike Riley will be in the kitchen in his boxers and vest, cleaning the worktop with his Mr Muscle drenched cloth and listening to Buddy Holly on his wireless when suddenly he'll freeze, his eyes will widen and he'll exclaim "Boswinga DID kick Benayoun up the ar$e"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Requiem4adream

who said 5 game ban?!! sad state of affairs. What he did was a foot-push, simple as that. Red card, 1 game ban maybe; 0% chance of injuring the player. Wouldn't even have left a mark. More chance of an injury stretching for the remote control. Anybody mentioning Cantona in the same breath as this needs their head examined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭YDMHSSB

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Well Cantona got off lightly imo

why did you have to mention this? i assume your talking about the actions of the night in selhurst park or are u talking about the john moncur incident at swindon? in all fairness mate, you gave out earlier about de railing a thread and then u mention something of a club not involved that happened 14 / 15 years ago.

baffling post IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭YDMHSSB

They gave the red card to the wrong Blue yesterday.

I laughed that the ref didn't book Bosingwa at least.

to be honest, had this game been 11 v 11 i dont think this would have happened. first off, i dont think the score would have been 2-0 at the time and also i dont think the chelsea players would have been as frustrated. boswinga had just watched his keeper caught napping and then ashley cole also, costing them 2 goals, after a bad decisions by the ref cost them 11 men.

now, while there is no excuse for what he did and it was a red, refs can influence players behavior no doubt in my mind.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Look let's not bother bringing Cantona into this. It will just turn into another Liverpool v man u thread. It doesnt matter who you support the fact the FA are to take no action over the kick is just another reminder how corrupt ( yes corrupt) they are. There is no way Bosingwa can get away without at the very least a 3 match ban. Madness :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

YDMHSSB wrote: »
    to be honest, had this game been 11 v 11 i dont think this would have happened. first off, i dont think the score would have been 2-0 at the time and also i dont think the chelsea players would have been as frustrated. boswinga had just watched his keeper caught napping and then ashley cole also, costing them 2 goals, after a bad decisions by the ref cost them 11 men.

now, while there is no excuse for what he did and it was a red, refs can influence players behavior no doubt in my mind.

Liverpool outplayed Chelsea before and after the sending off. It could have very well ended up 2-0 either way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

This has to be a piss-take. It just has to be!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

fair play for saying sorry but it was still a retarded challenge. should still get banned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

How come everyone is concentrating on that one incident and a thread about it.

The big four are constantly getting away with more than the rest.

Just the weekend a huge example is the lack of action taken against Steven Gerard vs the action taken against Rory Delap in pretty much identical circumstances.

Did Gerard apologise to Bosingwa for what he did?

I personally thought Bosingwa should have gotten a straight red at the time. Its just not interesting afterwards as there are so many incidents where you see different treatment for the top clubs.

You had two in this game which went unpunished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

gas all the uproar about what was a shove in the arse with bosingwas foot, compared to the complete lack of anything about belhadjs "tackle" on gardner last week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

I thought it was a bit of a laugh. He was just annoyed at Benayoun holding the ball up and shoved him over the line with his foot. Yeah he shouldn't have done it, but comparisons with Cantona? It was a cheeky shove for crying out loud. Not exactly something that would end a career.

Talk about overreaction.

Agree, come on people, RELAX

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Agree, come on people, RELAX

Nah FA have let him off - it deserved a ban - jeez say boo to a ref and you're sent off - cant have that in a match & whilst I've seen much worse challenges - discipline, diving etc is out of control....the petty stuff has be be stamped out

who said 5 game ban?!! sad state of affairs. What he did was a foot-push, simple as that. Red card, 1 game ban maybe; 0% chance of injuring the player. Wouldn't even have left a mark. More chance of an injury stretching for the remote control. Anybody mentioning Cantona in the same breath as this needs their head examined.

Going by the rules, or common sense if you'd prefer, what he did was a sending off offense. If you raise your studs in a challenge as the saying goes "you risk getting sent off even if you make no contact". Going on that, and people have been sent off for it, he definitely made contact and should definitely have gone.

Arguing he wouldn't have left a mark? You could dismiss the majority of sendings off if you're going to apply that rule of thumb to a decision - you have to be high/you have to have studs showing/you have to show intent but all must leave a mark on the player or we can just let them slide. That's a bit of a ridiculous argument in my opinion.

Andip wrote: »
    Nah FA have let him off

no they havent

theyre bound by the rules

an official saw it and took no action, therefore the fa cant take any action

silly rules, but theyre not letting anyone off with anything, theyre following the rules

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

What an odd rule... I mean,the player has apologised, everyone except the ref and FA (including the perpatrator!) can see the wrong-doing!

Insanity that it wasn't a red...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

well i think the fact it was against benayoun had alot to do with it, I mean lets face it who cares about him, without not wanting to sound like an ass hole...!

If it happened against any other 'name' player he would have been sent off imo and have a mandatory 3 match ban at least.

harsh...:p

why did you have to mention this? i assume your talking about the actions of the night in selhurst park or are u talking about the john moncur incident at swindon? in all fairness mate, you gave out earlier about de railing a thread and then u mention something of a club not involved that happened 14 / 15 years ago.

baffling post IMO.

Might want to read the OP there again boss. He asked was it similar to the Cantona incident so I was answering him.

Helix wrote: »
    no they havent

theyre bound by the rules

an official saw it and took no action, therefore the fa cant take any action

silly rules, but theyre not letting anyone off with anything, theyre following the rules

I thought the rule was if they do make a decision ie give a free or yellow card then they can't change it?
    But if they took no action then they can later on. Otherwise what were they reviewing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Look at the Video it was only 1-0, he was holding up play just like Cech was doing for most of the game with his goal kicks.

Should have been sent off for it, as i said before the FA are opening themselves to a lot of trouble considering before christmas and also doing nothing to the player who knocked out another playing leaving him needing brain sugery.

I thought the rule was if they do make a decision ie give a free or yellow card then they can't change it?
    But if they took no action then they can later on. Otherwise what were they reviewing?

its only if it wasnt seen

it was seen and no action was taken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

Anyone got the name of the linesman who was beside the incident he should be fired in fairness.

Red card 3 game ban end of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

What a strange thread. It's not like he even hurt Benayoun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

No word on Gerard apologising to Bosingwa either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

yayamark wrote: »
    Anyone got the name of the linesman who was beside the incident he should be fired in fairness.

Red card 3 game ban end of.

The linesman actually gave a free kick against benayoun! Talk about incompetent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Davei141 wrote: »
    The linesman actually gave a free kick against benayoun! Talk about incompetent.

pretty sure he gave a goal kick.

lino should be fired anyway:
    bbc.co.uk wrote:
    The Portuguese was not punished at the time and because the assistant referee admitted seeing it, the Football Association cannot review the incident.

• Advertisement
Advertisement