Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

X-Blades

Options
  • 02-02-2009 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭

Anybody heard anything about this game? flew into my radar today due to its "release". I briefly checked it out and as far as I can tell so far, you play as some chick who is mad because some monsters stole her pants, correct me if i'm wrong :D

Going to give it a try anyway, looks like a fairly decent slasher in the same bracket as DMC

090109112658XBlades0036.jpg

090109112800XBlades041.jpg

090109112710XBlades0037.jpg

051208010628Xblades_LightOne1280.jpg

170308123538030308013632Oniblade085_1280.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭feckhead

Looks a bit like Goldenaxe. Probably not very good.

I think Kotaku did a quick write up on the game, check it out.

L

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Also this points out the immature attitude towards women in games Dante is fully clothed and badass, why can't this character be? How can gamers be seen as fully normal with this sort of thing floating around?
    Etc etc.....

I think it might be geared towards the Japanese audience. Women are generally far more sexualised in Japanese games than in western games.

L

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Cause no man wants to play as a fat chick in an overcoat.

But i know where your comin from, women are always set up as semi naked characters.....im having a hard time trying to think of one thats not. Princess from Mario and the like dont count. I mean a female lead....Oh...the Resi characters ?,,Jill Valentine ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

feckhead wrote: »
    Looks a bit like Goldenaxe. Probably not very good.

I think Kotaku did a quick write up on the game, check it out.

L

Is this what you are talking about?

http://kotaku.com/5125938/three-things-i-liked-about-x+blades

I'll have to see how it compares, but hopefully its nothing like the new Goldenaxe, which I gave up on about 3 hours into it due to the sheer boredom of gameplay (something I rarely ever do, I'll usually grind through the monotony to see if there's a good last act)

I'm in the mood for a good slasher, so my hopes are high for this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

is it just me that seeing only one tiny thong on all the pictures??where is the all the characters??:confused::confused:

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Is this what you are talking about?

http://kotaku.com/5125938/three-things-i-liked-about-x+blades

I'll have to see how it compares, but hopefully its nothing like the new Goldenaxe, which I gave up on about 3 hours into it due to the sheer boredom of gameplay (something I rarely ever do, I'll usually grind through the monotony to see if there's a good last act)

I'm in the mood for a good slasher, so my hopes are high for this one.

Yeah thats the one. They gave it a suprising good, yet cautious preview.

Have you tried any of the Ninja Gaiden games? They have some pretty deep fighting systems so they're not just mindless hack n slash games. They do have camera issues though, but thats doesnt detract too much from the gameplay.

L

ok bare ass aside for a fairly low profile brawler its not that bad, like that Kotaku review, the gameplay is solid, there are no slowdowns, tearing or glitches thus far (i'm a few levels in). I'm playing it on the PC and it picks up the 360 controller no problem. Controls are easy and I like that each time you unlock a new ability, you are given a choice as to which button to bind it to, so you can always have your favourite powers on the face buttons and then put the secondary ones on the shoulders.

I feel the bare ass and thong was thrown in to clinch it for your randy teens and to try and distract from some of the games other shortcomings, the game has some odd pacing, some fairly hammy dialogue and a weird art style, it's like a cross between a cell shaded game (i.e. the new Naruto), the new PoP and Tomb Raider.

Also, people thinking its "sexist", obviously don't watch a lot of anime. Her garb is par for the course imo. I'm watching Gurren Lagann at the moment and the lead female protagonist, Yoko, is pretty much decked out in the same amount of clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

I'm playing it on the PC
    How did you get an early copy ?

Also, people thinking its "sexist", obviously don't watch a lot of anime.
    I don't really think sexist is the right word for how I see it, but I can't think of a better one.

And I do watch a bit of anime, which is good in general but some of the best female characters are fully clothed, Real (Lil) Mayer from Ergo Proxy for one, Rukia kuchiki from Bleach for two.
    Alyx for Half-Life is another fine example of badassery with clothes.
    I just don't see games getting the respect they deserve until this image of the sweaty nerd yanking his meat over the semi-clothed damsel is abolished.

But another DMC style game is nice and the customisable controls sound wicked.

• Advertisement

But another DMC style game is nice and the customisable controls sound wicked.

Re-l is a good example of the exception yes, although she could of been wearing more clothes when she first met ergo :rolleyes: but usually anime likes to put a teenagers face on an adult females body.

In regards to the game, I'm another few levels into it and the gameplay is really starting to wear thin. I mean it is basically JUST a brawler. In DMC there where at least some puzzles and some light platforming. There is no platforming in this. You basically enter a room, get locked in then destroy a set number of baddies before being allowed to progress. So far this has not changed in the slightest. I thought there would at least be some short reprieves in between brawls but there isn't.

It's like they have half a game, half a good game mind, but the other half really is needed, any game that does one and one thing only is doomed to become repetitive.

It's like they have half a game, half a good game mind, but the other half really is needed, any game that does one and one thing only is doomed to become repetitive.

The Bouncer springs to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

I'm watching Gurren Lagann at the moment.

^_^

Varkov wrote: »
    ^_^

cheers for the rec ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

Episode 8 yet?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Samus Aran - is a badass woman with no clothes related issues - maybe too much clothes.
    Alex in Half Life 2 (+EP1 and EP2).

I dunno there's definately plenty.
    It's like saying books can never be taken seriously because there are trashy novels.
    It's business and sex sells.

mayordenis wrote: »
    It's like saying books can never be taken seriously because there are trashy novels.
    It's business and sex sells.

Books don't have that nerdy image.
    When you think book, you generally think intelligence, a pastime for the more enlightened.
    Games are a completly different matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

hellboy99 wrote: »
    How did you get an early copy ?

When he said "release" he meant he seen it on a Warez/pirate release website.

And then he downloaded it cos hes cool.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Books don't have that nerdy image.
    When you think book, you generally think intelligence, a pastime for the more enlightened.
    Games are a completly different matter.

I don't actually think like that about books, I often think of words like "wanky" "trash" "dan brown",
    I don't blame 1 book for making the vast libraries of literature ****e and I won't blame 1 game for keeping gaming in the Dark Ages. Smut and Sex sell in all forms of media.

right well this thread seems to be going in 1 of 3 directions, either a discussion about Gurren Lagann, Piracy (oh that old chestnut again :rolleyes:) or a discussion about forms of generalizations of media.

I guess the latter is the closest to the OT (i.e. the actual game) that nobody wants to talk about, lol :D

Yeah I will agree that there are exceptions for female characters in games, but there usual purpose is to either:

a) provide a love interest
    b) add sex appeal to the game

You only have to google samus aran to see what I mean. Alyx, while realistically decked out, is a love interest plain and simple. Aside from this, it is common to expect the men to get full suits of armour while the women will be given skin tight spandex or metal bikinis. Specifically games originating from Japan, with anime inspirations, will tend to over emphasise the woman's physical appearance (i.e. cammy in SF, Ivy in SCIV, Rachel in Ninja Gaiden... etc)

There have also been some downright ridiculous occasions when they've decided to show some female skin. Most recently I laughed in Lost Planet: Extreme Condition, when every male is wearing full exothermic winter body suits and the only female character has her top zipped down to show some cleavage.

But, imo, this is gaming, men are often made out to be merciless, muscle bound killers with little to no regard for human life, woman are made out to be supermodels in catsuits, there are exceptions to the rule (i.e. like Faith in Mirrors Edge), but they aren't frequent enough to change the rule itself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

I like hack-em-up type games. Severance was one of the best games ever. I wouldn't play x-blades just because of the ridiculous character model. I think it would be off-putting overall to adult gamers because it's fairly juvenile.

pwd wrote: »
    I think it would be off-putting overall to adult gamers because it's fairly juvenile.

Well I know plenty of people who played MGS4 and I know Snakes ass-clenched sneaking suit didn't put any of them off? :D

I've played plenty of games where the female characters have been in swimsuits or spandex that is completely figure hugging and never heard anyone complain. Also, I've played ones where the programmers have spent way too much time getting the breast physics right, rachel in ninja gaiden sigma or DoA springs to mind. But if they make an extra few polygons skin coloured it makes them juvenile? It is a cheap tactic to make more sales, but it shouldn't stop you from experiencing the gameplay. Would Ivys disproportionate figure make you not play SC4?

Although, this game is purely a renter imo. The fight system is good, but the story and voice acting is well below average.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Fair enough. Don't know what the mgs 4 character looks like or any of the others you mentioned. Just giving my own opinion really.

Advertisement