Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loosing Hot Water

Options
  • 02-02-2009 4:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

My problem is i have a waterford eirn stove in my dining room it is plumbed to gravity feed heat my hot tank through a dual coil cylinder and heat rads with a circulating pump, My problem is when there is no fire in the stove and the central heating is heating the hot water tank i get gravity feeding hot water back through the stove which in turn is cooling down the hot water in the hot water tank any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 pajo65

i had a similar problem with the same set up you have, my problem was the non-return valve on the stove system was a bit dicky and allowed hot water go back through the system, and the house seemed to take ages to warm up as well.

hope this helps,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Jacksiedog

Plumber advised against fitting a non return valve as 1) if it sticks it will cause the stove to vent to the attic 2) because it takes very little to stop a gravity feed working it causes a stop go type effort where the flap in the valve takes a bit of pressure to open and once that is released the flap closes again and so on, He think it probably would not be a success

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

The problem you describe can happen if the solid fuel boiler has a thermostat switch on it's outlet pipe. When the central heating is on sufficient heat gets to the stat to turn the boiler pump on, which then circulates hot water from the radiator circuit through the cold boiler. The solution is to fit a switch that allows you to isolate the thermostat when the boiler isn't in use. Gravity won't then feed water through the stationary pump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Jacksiedog

The pump for the rads is on a pipe that is tee'd off the outlet from the boiler, so when the stove is lighting and if you turn up the thermostat gravity will still circulate thruogh the dual coil in the tank and heat the hot water, prob is when there is no fire on in the stove it seems to work backwards ( the hot water in the tank is heating the coil and causing gravity feed back through the boiler) my plumber said that If there was a pump on the hot side of the pipe coming from the boiler and the electricity supply was of then the water would not circulate which could be very dangerous.

Advertisement