Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chimp for sale

Options
  • 02-02-2009 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭

This Irish site is selling baby chimps. Is this legal?

If so, how? Surely owning another hominid is not something someone who is not a professional should be doing (or at the very least some sort of supervision is needed).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Thats a wind up I'd say.

I think it is illegal, you probably need a license to keep a chimp I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭GeeNorm

Thanks for the link

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭emma6606

Oh my god... thats shocking!
    Surely thats against the law... Chimps are a FULL TIME JOB - they're like kids... and when theyre fully grown they're strong and can be dangerous for something silly like a tantrum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Rory123

Guuuddddee Afta-nune Sar! Please hold for Cousin Benson in sales department. Please have your bank account number and sort code ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

murphym7
    Thats a wind up I'd say.

I think it is illegal, you probably need a license to keep a chimp I'd say.
    Hopefully it is. Any evidence on what animals you need licenses for, im having trouble finding the list.
    GeeNorm Thanks for the link
    So you can complain? Please tell me its that.
    emma6606

Surely thats against the law... Chimps are a FULL TIME JOB - they're like kids... and when theyre fully grown they're strong and can be dangerous for something silly like a tantrum

Well there is the amount of work they require and then there is how like us they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭emma6606

I rang the ISPCA to see if that sort of thing is legal... they said it is fine as long as they were imported legally...
    Theres nothing illegal about keeping chimps...
    Theres one for sale in Naas for €400! Thats cheaper than alot of purebred dogs!!!
    what can I say... its madness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭bikki

Its a scam fooks, they will want a deposit or something similar and it will be the last time you will see ur money.

bikki Its a scam fooks, they will want a deposit or something similar and it will be the last time you will see ur money.

The point isn't about it being a scam (i hope it is) its that it is possible to own a chimp as a pet. In our biological group are humans, chimpanzees, gorillas, and orangutans. The closest to us are the chimp.
    emma6606 I rang the ISPCA to see if that sort of thing is legal
    Thanks for that

It is a scam, the ad address is canadian.

And just because its legal to own a Chimp doesnt mean its easy to get the permits. Its not like you can go down the pet shop and buy one.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

emma6606 wrote: »
    I rang the ISPCA to see if that sort of thing is legal... they said it is fine as long as they were imported legally...
    Theres nothing illegal about keeping chimps...
    Theres one for sale in Naas for €400! Thats cheaper than alot of purebred dogs!!!
    what can I say... its madness

what place is that?

• Advertisement

bikki

And just because its legal to own a Chimp doesnt mean its easy to get the permits. Its not like you can go down the pet shop and buy one.

What stops you going down the pet shop and buying one? Is it that the pet shop is sensible enough not to stock them? If so its not much of a protection.

How effective are the permits? Can you expand on how difficult are they to get. Some permit system (eg legal way of ownership) is probably needed for research labs and zoos and stuff but are they the only ones who can get them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

there is a little monkey for sale in pet mania in portlaoise for 2500. Me and me missus want him but are 2500 short. His name is rocco. Have a pic of him on me phone. He is fecking cool. Seriously no messing. Im from waterford so didnt see him in the flesh. Girlfriend knows someone working there and got them to send on the pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

Scam - it was all over the buyandsell last year....

seanybiker wrote: »
    there is a little monkey for sale in pet mania in portlaoise for 2500. Me and me missus want him but are 2500 short. His name is rocco. Have a pic of him on me phone. He is fecking cool. Seriously no messing. Im from waterford so didnt see him in the flesh. Girlfriend knows someone working there and got them to send on the pic.

The lad in Whackers Pet shop has 2 of them, there some sort of Marmaset. He waited 6 moths to get them from belgium. Cost roughly the same price u have there. I would love to get one.

cavedave wrote: »
    What stops you going down the pet shop and buying one? Is it that the pet shop is sensible enough not to stock them? If so its not much of a protection.

How effective are the permits? Can you expand on how difficult are they to get. Some permit system (eg legal way of ownership) is probably needed for research labs and zoos and stuff but are they the only ones who can get them?

How many people do you know with a Chimpanze other than a Zoo. You do know they turn really aggresive when they start to muture?

Do u honsetly think a average joe could easliy get a permit and a license for a chimpanze.

Its like gun laws for example. Just because its legal to own one doesnt mean ur gonna be eligble for the lisence.

bikki wrote: »
    The lad in Whackers Pet shop has 2 of them, there some sort of Marmaset. He waited 6 moths to get them from belgium. Cost roughly the same price u have there. I would love to get one.
    yeah thats the make of em. Be class having one. Id get him a miniature bike helmet and go everywhere with him. He would have to have a human name aswell like paul or something

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

yea they're little cute ones alright down there.. yea couldn't buy just one, it'd have to be the two..
    they're 2k each..

Aye must have 2.

He sold his last pair because he couldnt handle them, but he has one now hes hand reared from 3 weeks and hes another on the way. He had it out in the shop with him and it was just sitting on his shoulder eating wax worms.

How many people do you know with a Chimpanze other than a Zoo. You do know they turn really aggresive when they start to muture?
    0, how many people do you know that own people as property? I do know they become aggressive.
    Do u honsetly think a average joe could easliy get a permit and a license for a chimpanze.
    You don't need a license that has been established. Please provide evidence about what permitting system exists.

i know there is two whackers pet shops up that way. Are ye on about little stocky whacker with the motorbike. He is some legend. Funny out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pipsqueak

chimpDM1507_468x602.jpg

pipsqueak wrote: »
    chimpDM1507_468x602.jpg
    he rules

0, how many people do you know that own people as property? I do know they become aggressive.

You don't need a license that has been established. Please provide evidence about what permitting system exists.

Cant be bothered to argue with u, its like talking to a wall.

seanybiker wrote: »
    i know there is two whackers pet shops up that way. Are ye on about little stocky whacker with the motorbike. He is some legend. Funny out.

Its the one on the Long Mile Road, its a new place tucked in behind Aldi or Lidil. I think he drives a M3 BMW converible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭SCI

I don't believe in the south of Ireland you have to have a license to own or keep any exotic pet,dangerous or not. Chimps are cites app 1 and annex a in the EC so yes anyone importing to the EC would need import permits and export permits too. I know many primate keepers in Ireland and I personally have no problem with it,as long as the person has the time,money,space IE resources and most importantly the knowledge to keep them.

As someone has said it's likely a scam,only a fool sends money to someone they don't know or can't get a recommendations for.

A dog,cat,snake can become aggressive. There is no permitting system in the R.O.I. but you would need one to import one.Speak to the fisherys and wildlife.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭lucky111

This Irish site is selling baby chimps. Is this legal?

If so, how? Surely owning another hominid is not something someone who is not a professional should be doing (or at the very least some sort of supervision is needed).
    I know the site you're on about.
    Complete scam, most of the ads on their selling animals are scams
    Who do you know living in Ireland own a Chimp :confused:

bikki wrote: »
    Its the one on the Long Mile Road, its a new place tucked in behind Aldi or Lidil. I think he drives a M3 BMW converible.
    Just asked me da. The whacker chap i know owns the one in blanchardstown.

lucky111 wrote: »
    Who do you know living in Ireland own a Chimp :confused:

You'd be surprised.I know ppl that keep and breed various marmosets and
    has a hand tame ring tail Lemar. There is one very big primate keeper in donegal.

• Advertisement

SCI wrote: »
    There is one very big primate keeper in donegal.
    me man is big or the primates are lol.
    Just cos people dont see them dont mean their not here. As you just proved

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement